Ripple Edit - for Events and Ranges (voice overs, podcasts e.g.)

Ripple editing can be a good thing. But, from my experience with my Vegas video editing package, if you forget that it is active it can totally ruin an edit. Obviously you have undo but if you don’t notice straight away and do lots of things then realise things have moved from where they should be it can be nasty. Vegas allows ripple editing of selected track or all tracks. So I reckon that’s what you need to add. It would also have to be a properly designed button that makes it obvious. Sadly, Cubase Gui is getting worse in that respect. Ed

+1

Agreed 1000%

+1

Yes! +1

I switched to Reaper a short while ago after getting frustrated with some things on Cubase (GUI problem on Mac, and more), but I keep checking back to see what the status is, hoping I might be able to come back. The ripple feature in Reaper is stunningly great for fast and efficient work such as rippling the entire session including MIDI and all automation (without needing to open all automation then hide it that would require a lot of more steps, clicks, and selections in Cubase. It’s incredible how much time this saves in the day for me on songs, and it would benefit so many users, even those who have never used it before in other DAWs/hadn’t heard of it.

We all know that Shift + Double Click on part selects all parts to the right on that track.

I wish Steinberg could make, say:

1. Shift + A + Double Click for units to the right from the double clicked part/event ripple on all tracks.
  2. Shift + you_name_it + Double Click for Selected Tracks Ripple.
  3. Also, some blinking button to warn us to proceed with utmost caution because many units would be affected by edit (or parts/events colour change to ‘ripple’ colour; or all parts blinking in some jolly conspicuous way to signal us that all these units possess Ripple status).

WOULND’T IT BE WONDERFUL???

Great idea for implementation. I would add that #1 should also move all automation data on every single track/channel (including groups, auxes, master, etc.) as well, otherwise it will all be out of synch with the rippled tracks.

My friend, strike me hard if I’m wrong but methinks that automation data is attached to events/parts by default in Cubase/Nuendo. Therefore one should not worry about them at all.

Yes, totally - it is for the actual events/parts, but not for Groups, Sends, Master Faders, etc., which of course are crucial automation-wise.

True, true. All that stuff must ripple as well; those things should go without mentioning :slight_smile:

I edit a lot of voice over stuff, and my biggggest wish is: that we get two nice little buttons that make it possible - like in Wavelab! - to move all events and gaps together PLUS markers (!)
“Ripple Edit” is a very fine and fast handling - without having to do any shortcuts or double clicks or similar “work arounds”…

Ripple Edit (like in Wavelab!) =

+ 1 !

:bulb:

I like this, yes! It’s amazing how much time and fiddling around this would save/eliminate, saving very noticeable large amounts of time for anyone, especially those like me with composing sessions that have hundreds of tracks, tons of groups, sends, etc.

absolutely! It would be immense time-saving for film music composers who works with tons of tracks and automations too.

P.S:
I would pay 540,- Euros again - if that feature would be integrated in Cubase X. :bulb:

(no kiddin)

+1

+1

Wow, this would be amazing. Huge +1

+1 for Ripple Edit.

+1! This can be a time saver also for classical music editing