mono vs stereo tracks - any difference for a mono source?

Let’s say I have a guitar, and I record this on a stereo track in Cubase.

Is there any advantage/disadvantage of using a stereo instead of a mono track?

1 Like

To me the advantage on recording stereo is that most plugins support stereo.
And on mono tracks apply a reverb and that could be only on the left side channel (very wierd).
So i allmost allways have stereo tracks…

I do not understand very well what you mean. Could you elaborate it a bit more?

To me the advantage on recording stereo is that most plugins support stereo.

I also always use stereo tracks, was just wondering if Cubase doesn’t duplicate the signal to both left and right of something.
also would it it affect sending the track out to an outboard single channel strip?

I only use stereo audio tracks recorded from a mono source and bus so that stereo VST effects work correctly. This has been discussed in the past and I have not heard of any good reason to ever use a mono audio track. The file that gets recorded is the same on both stereo and mono tracks and they are easily moved to either type of track if, for some reason, you have a need.

Regards. :sunglasses:

Great :slight_smile:

FWIW - Greg Ondo on the Cubase hangouts recommends on the YouTube live hangouts to use a mono track and a stereo FX channel.

Some discussion here

1 Like

For me… keeping things simple and just inserting VSTs to tracks is the way to. I periodically will group some to a FX channel but, that rare for my workflow and needs.

Yes, you wrote exactly the same words in your previous post but I like to understand what you mean by: “And on mono tracks apply a reverb and that could be only on the left side channel (very weird)".

By the way, ALL my plugins support mono.

Bass track and Voice track (lead) are the most often recorded in mono because they are in the center of the mix.
The reason why for Bass is because low end isn’t very directionnal so no interest to be panned, and if it’s panned you can feeling an empty in the center of the stereo image.
An advantage is too : the CPU lower used.

FYI, recording a mono source (like a guitar, bass, or vocal) on a mono bus to a mono or stereo audio track…

• CPU usage is the same (during record and playback).
    -The recorded file is the same (both are the same size and both are mono).
  • Panning works and sounds the same (pan it or not).
  • Some stereo VST effects will not work properly when inserted on a mono audio track.
  • You can easily move the recorded audio on a stereo track to a mono track and vice versa if for some reason you find it necessary.

FWIW… I always pan my bass and vocal audio tracks.

But some don’t. And even if they do, Cubase still might not process a stereo type VST effect properly when inserted and played on a mono audio track.

Yes, but this member SteelyDani of our forum has corrected me twice… Thanks for your reply…!

Absolutely agree, although I would never think of inserting a stereo type effect on a mono track. Logically, I was thinking in mono tracks to be processed. In any case, many thanks for the clarification :slight_smile:.

Please, I have not corrected you twice. I have not even made one. I have not corrected you in any way. I have simply pointed out that ALL my plugins support mono.

I do not mean, logically, to yours or those of other members simply because I do not know them.

Let’s not beat around the bush and go back to my original question: what do you mean by: “And on mono tracks apply a reverb and that could be only on the left side channel (very weird)". :question: It’s the third time I ask the same thing.

I simply pretend to understand what you mean by the sole object of learning. If you do not want to answer do not do it.

A quick and easy test to demonstrate to yourself a major difference between mono and stereo tracks:

Start with an empty project.

1. Add one mono track and one stereo track to the same mono source. (A mic for instance)
  2. Insert the stock Cubase “Ping Pong” delay on both tracks. Select the “Lead Ping Pong Delay” preset for each instance.
  3. Monitor enable both tracks.
  4. Solo the Mono track and speak.
  5. Solo the Stereo track and speak.
  6. Nod head with understanding. :wink:

(This post is directed to anyone . . . but no one in particular)

I think every single user over here tried to explain you xx times, mono support on a vst plugin does not mean it works!
A reverb can do on a mono channel for instance only left channel and right nothing. Cubase works in stereo.
So the reverb processes the MONO as LEFT channel only, while hearing MONO channel left with Reverb and MONO right without reverb.
That is and can be the end result!

Even this user say you must test it, so it is not answered enough for you now ???

A quick and easy test to demonstrate to yourself a major difference between mono and stereo tracks:

Start with an empty project.

1. Add one mono track and one stereo track to the same mono source. (A mic for instance)
  2. Insert the stock Cubase “Ping Pong” delay on both tracks. Select the “Lead Ping Pong Delay” preset for each instance.
  3. Monitor enable both tracks.
  4. Solo the Mono track and speak.
  5. Solo the Stereo track and speak.
  6. Nod head with understanding. :wink:
    Cubase Pro 9.5.21, Windows 7 64Bit

Thank you very much Mr. van der Velde for explaining to me the difference between a mono and a stereo track. After more than 40 years involved in music, I had not been able to figure out the difference :blush: . Too sophisticated for me. You are so kind!