mono vs stereo tracks - any difference for a mono source?

• Some stereo VST effects will not work properly when inserted on a mono audio track.

So, recoding a mono source such as a vocal into a stereo channel means you’re less likely to hit problems when possibly inserting stereo effects, such as track presets from Cubase where you’re not entirely sure what you’re getting.

But, if you’re wanting to pan your signal in an actual space itself, such as a reverb, you’re better of using a send fx.

What i’d like to know is, is there any audible difference between recording a mono source into a mono track vs a mono source into a stereo track, and, also is there any audible difference if you then setup a send and pan these sources into a stereo effect such as a reverb?

I can do some tests myself on this, but, not until tomorrow, so any insight to save me the time would be appreciated!

All i can say basically i record vocals in stereo into cubase even with a mono source.
I think i even use a plugin that is basically a mono to stereo convertor (think it is called mono check or something) on the record channel input.
What it does is i record in mono vocals with a mic, but the plugin on the input channel of cubase converts it directly to stereo.
I think the left channel is the mono mic, right channel is empty no signal.
The input channel is stereo and the plugin on it converts left to mono, so it writes actually Left to Left and Right while recording.
I will recall later what plugin i use… dont know right now…

Afther that i create a stereo track for this vocal and copy the stereo file from the input channel to that track.
So i can record vocals again on the input channel…

Succes!

I have Kelly Industries Stereo Tools on the input channel of the mic in cubase. I set it on mono. Now it does not matter while recording, all is converted to a mono track on a stereo channel (left right are the same)…

Fyi… clarfying…
If you record a mono source (like a mic) through a mono bus (which you should), to a mono or stereo audio track, the resultant file is mono (exactly the same actually) and the dry recording sounds the same. Both l/r sides sound the same on either track.

It’s only after assigning a post recorded stereo insert on these tracks does the playback sound bad on a mono track.

Regards. :sunglasses:

So this is more profing wrong or right… i know better stuff… i do it my way and i know it works. Thanks for your tips…

But it is completely unnecessary.

Thx but is my systems and works…

If you use an stereo channel to record a mono source, the thing is that you are exactly duplicating the space needed in your hard disk. Not a very good solution. In my opinion, what we really need is the return of a very simple feature that we had in Cubase SX 1: the possibility of turning a mono channel into an stereo one with a simple click, and without altering its contents.

Fyi… recording a mono source through a mono bus to a stereo audio track does not duplicate the space on your hard drive. The file is mono. The same as if you recorded it on a mono track.

Regards. :sunglasses:

I use mono tracks for nearly everything because I mix in mono, with the benefit that file sizes are smaller when exporting to other applications.

Good for you. It still doesn’t change the fact that the resulting file is identical whether you record a mono bus to a stereo or mono track.

Just tested again - had not since Cubase 7(.5?). Same result. Unless things have changed from 9 → 9.5 (I have yet to update), a mono bus assigned to a mono or stereo track results in the same file.

Here’s what I did - try it for yourself …

1. Open a new, empty project
  2. Create a mono input bus (in my case, input 1 of my Focusrite Pro 40)
  3. Assign said bus as input to a newly created mono audio track
  4. Assign said bus as input to a newly created stereo audio track
  5. Record enable both tracks
  6. Press “Record” and proceed to bust out a few licks on your Squier mini-Strat (or, whatever … )
  7. Analyse and compare audio statistics (and identical file size) for each track
  8. Ask yourself “why have you been using mono tracks?”
  9. Carry on with life in a more open and energetic way, now that you have realized the truth

The other image …

You can send/return as mono or stereo (among others) from a stereo track.

That’s right. I was referring to the method described by Denis van der Velde, though.

Now I get it… Cool :wink:

Regards :sunglasses:

Great posts. Thanks :wink:

Regards :sunglasses:

Great that now everybody is on the same page… pfffffffffffffff

I guess none of you “stereo track for mono sources” folks are using outboard hardware via “external fx” inserts. If you were, then you’d know that only the left channel of your stereo track would be processed by your 1176 or Pultec or whatever other mono outboard you have. This means the resulting returned signal would be unusable and lopsided (because the right channel of your “stereo” track would not be processed). A workaround would be to route your “stereo” track (that’s really a mono source) to a mono group and insert the external fx plugin there. But that’s a lot of extra steps to make something that’s mono end up as … mono!