[BUG] Hardware rack missing for MR816csx inside Nuendo 8.2

Post general topics related to Nuendo 8 here.
Helidream

[BUG] Hardware rack missing for MR816csx inside Nuendo 8.2

Post by Helidream » Sun May 27, 2018 12:45 pm

Hardware Rack is missing for the MR816csx Steinberg audio interface.

It was not missing inside Nuendo version 7.1.40.

See then end of this post :

viewtopic.php?f=275&t=137741
Comps+OS: PC Intel Core i7 six core 's - X79 Chipset - 256 Go SATA SSD - 1 To SATA Hard disk, 16 Go RAM - Win 7 Pro 64 Dual 27" monitors - AMD Firepro V7900 video card - Nuendo 8.2.0.
MR816csx - UR44 - MOTU 828 mkIII audio interfaces - Control surfaces : JLCooper MCS3800 (mixing) - AKAI AFX + Midi translator Pro (monitoring) - Rogers LS3/5a proximity monitors.
Sony PCM-7040 DAT - TASCAM HD-P2 recorder - PTV PT5210 Digital sync generator - Steinberg Timebase - Adam Smith ZETA3 synchronizers.
Lindos LA100 audio analyzer, HP 5372A frequency and time interval analyzer, Siglent SDG2042X signal generator - Tektronix TDS5000 scope - Efratom 10 MHz rubidium clock - HP Z3816A GPS frequency standard.

fuzzydude

Re: [BUG] Hardware rack missing for MR816csx inside Nuendo 8.2

Post by fuzzydude » Sun May 27, 2018 5:26 pm

Please add your comp specs to your profile sig. Hardware rack for MR816CSX showing up here in 8.2.
Comps+OS: Macbook Pro's 10.13.4 I PC's - i7's - M2's - SSD's - 128 gigs of ram I Win10 Pro 64 (1709)I Nuendo 8.2.1 I Cubase Pro 9.5.3 Pro I Wavelab 9.5.25 Pro

Helidream

Post by Helidream » Mon May 28, 2018 10:01 am

Done. Still no hardware rack for me. But does show up with the UR44.

It's not a conflict between the MR816 and UR44 drivers because i did install the UR44 drivers after those of the MR816csx.

MR816csx hardware rack did never show up. Then after i did check with the UR44 and with it it was ok.

I discovered another strange thing with my MR816csx, when i press the monitor button on a track (ASIO direct monitoring enabled), input monitoring is switched on only after a delay of about 500 ms.

The audio monitoring is delayed about 500 ms, but the track level meters do move instantaneously. Seems like the audio interface dsp mixer switching is delayed.

I ask myself if those two problems would not be related.

I need to investigate more the root cause of this ASIO monitoring delay problem. I need first to try with the UR44 to see if there is no delay.

It seems that i'm not alone with this problem, see here for example :

viewtopic.php?t=114342
Comps+OS: PC Intel Core i7 six core 's - X79 Chipset - 256 Go SATA SSD - 1 To SATA Hard disk, 16 Go RAM - Win 7 Pro 64 Dual 27" monitors - AMD Firepro V7900 video card - Nuendo 8.2.0.
MR816csx - UR44 - MOTU 828 mkIII audio interfaces - Control surfaces : JLCooper MCS3800 (mixing) - AKAI AFX + Midi translator Pro (monitoring) - Rogers LS3/5a proximity monitors.
Sony PCM-7040 DAT - TASCAM HD-P2 recorder - PTV PT5210 Digital sync generator - Steinberg Timebase - Adam Smith ZETA3 synchronizers.
Lindos LA100 audio analyzer, HP 5372A frequency and time interval analyzer, Siglent SDG2042X signal generator - Tektronix TDS5000 scope - Efratom 10 MHz rubidium clock - HP Z3816A GPS frequency standard.

Helidream

Post by Helidream » Tue May 29, 2018 10:34 am

I was not able to reproduce the ASIO direct monitoring switch delay. So i suppose that the driver or the interface was partly crashed.

I feel that the MR816 driver or interface firmware need some debugging and an update to get a better reliability, and to allow the use of the actually crashing External Filter function at 88.2 or 96 KHz.

Anyway, still no hardware rack in Nuendo 8.2 with the MR816csx interface. :roll:

How this hardware rack detect that it needs to activate ? Any way to force it ? If this is a detection problem, a manual forcing would provide an interesting information : if it works (it can control the interface dsp functions), then it is a simple interface brand detection problem. If it does not work, then it is probable that there is a more serious communication problem with the interface driver.

Is there a log file available in Nuendo that could help to diagnose the problem ?

Helidream

Post by Helidream » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:00 pm

Nobody can help or does have the same problem ?

I have now the certitude that the missing MR816csx hardware rack is a Nuendo 8.2 problem because (on the same PC) :

- MR Editor is able to control the MR816csx interface DSP mixer

- Hardware rack is not missing with Nuendo version 7.1.40 for the MR816csx

- Hardware rack is not missing with an UR44 Interface and Nuendo 8.2

So, this is evident, something is broken inside Nuendo 8.2 : probably the MR816csx communication through the Firewire driver (the UR44 is using an USB driver).

This needs to be corrected, if not, the MR816csx is not usable with Nuendo 8.2 for tracking !!

MR816csx users that would want to upgrade from Cubase to Nuendo 8.2 will probably get the same problem.

fuzzydude

Post by fuzzydude » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:25 pm

I have a similar issue, though through some experimentation, I realise that I'm able to see the hardware rack in 8.2 if I use a template from 8.1 or N7. If I create a template from scratch in 8.2 it does not show up.

The hardware tab also shows in CB9.5.3 on the same machine using a template from 9.5.21. Again, if I create a new template, the hardware tab does not show.

I also have a UR44 for mobile use. I hooked it up and can see the hardware tab using a new N8.2 and CB9.5.3 template.

This does point to an omission of some sort of schema for the MR816 and I can confirm your findings.
Comps+OS: Macbook Pro's 10.13.4 I PC's - i7's - M2's - SSD's - 128 gigs of ram I Win10 Pro 64 (1709)I Nuendo 8.2.1 I Cubase Pro 9.5.3 Pro I Wavelab 9.5.25 Pro

Helidream

Post by Helidream » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:18 am

Very interesting findings Fuzzydude.

I can confirm that opening a Nuendo 7 template inside Nuendo 8.2 will give back the Hardware Rack for the MR816csx.

Nevertheless :

1) The insert configuration switch does not work normally (does not move). It does not allow to get the hardware channel strip in the monitoring only. Only two positions are available : hardware channel strip for both monitoring and recording, or no hardware channel strip. It's woeking normally inside Nuendo 7.

This is a problem because most of the time for recording this missing choice is the more commonly used.

2) The hardware rack choice is not available in the rack menu in the upper part of the mixer window.

This show that

- Nuendo 8.2 forget to manage the Hardware rack for the MR816csx.

- Nuendo coding is not unified for both MR816 and UR series interfaces.

This reveal as well (at least here) a problem in the Nuendo coding structure and a lack of testing before to release.

This needs to be addressed to get the level of seriousness needed in a professional software. If code structure would be enhanced, there would be probably less problems of this nature, so this would give more time to the developers to focus on the development of newer functions and would translate to happier marketing staff and clients at the same time 8-)

As another example the amount of bugs discovered and corrected recently for the DOP function show as well that the development is not structured enough and that testing is not sufficient.

fuzzydude

Post by fuzzydude » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:44 pm

I also note that the 'configuration' switch does not work correctly a in its stuck in its centre position, but clicking in the area does activate he functionality required.

I do hope that the bug is addressed but also understand that we're talking about 10 plus year old technology running on old hat FW technology that no one is developing for any more. The issue is not present on the USB UR series interfaces.

Re other issues with N8, I actually think that 8.2 is a great piece of software. Yes, there are some annoying bugs, with VCA's and their limited functionality being one that has been there from the start. But by and large I can't complain too loudly as Steinberg have been doing a lot to address issues and concerns of late.

Helidream

Post by Helidream » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:52 pm

Fuzzydude can you get the three switch functions when clicking around the insert switch ? I can get only two positions, no channel strip or channel strip in both monitoring and DAW channel.

I cannot get the channel strip in the monitoring section only as it is possible with Nuendo 7.

Yes Firewire technology is now a thing of the past but it does work, sometimes better than USB and many people still do have such hardware.

USB, SPDIF, TOSLINK, AES3, MADI and a couple other physical interfaces will be things of the past in the audio world too. Thunderbolt and Ethernet (AES67) is the futur. That's why i prefer to wait for new interfaces with AES67 and Thunderbolt to become available, keeping my Firewire hardware, instead of buying USB interfaces now.

Yes Nuendo 8.2 is a great release that should rise Nuendo to the next level, after a couple bug corrections waited for 8.5 :)

Nevertheless i'm still waiting for realtime event processing. Hopefully for version 9 ! Track real time processing alone is a thing of the past too specially for some mixing works, but still here alone in Nuendo, waiting to be enhanced by realtime event processing capability :D

fuzzydude

Post by fuzzydude » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:13 pm

Yes, I can only get two positions. I hadn't noticed that before. This is actually a good thing as it shows that in at least two instances, the experience is exactly the same and the beginning of what appears to be a reproducible issue. It may also point to a more obvious fix for the tech team, if continuing support is still on the roadmap.

At the very least it's usable if you have access to an N7 template where a mixer window was engaged that had the hardware tab open.

Helidream

Post by Helidream » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:51 am

If the MR driver and Nuendo code are well structured and well documented this kind of bug should ask only for a few minutes to repair.

I hope that continuing support for the MR816 interfaces is on the roadmap !

Steinberg interfaces is a serious brand and there is no indication of support drop in the Nuendo 8.2 release note. It is not fair for clients if support is dropped without notice. So obviously i don't think that it is a desire from Yamaha / Steinberg to drop support silently.

More, it is still possible to find a few new MR816csx interfaces (i bought one new a couple weeks ago).

Another point is that the newer UR824 USB interface cannot be daisy chained. This mean that the UR824 is not able to process more than 16 channels at 88.2 or 96 KHz, when two cascaded MR816 are able to manage 24 channels (16 internals Mic/line and 8 channels using ADAT i/o).
The UR824 can only process 8 internal channels, and 8 external channels, because ADAT links only allow for 4 channels on each link at 88.2 and 96 KHz (there is two links).

And to my knowledge, there is no other interface brand (except the higher end Yamaha Interfaces) that have hardware mixer integration inside Nuendo. This mean that the MR816 still have an interest for some uses (gives SPDIF coaxial i/o too).

At least one other serious brand interface manufacturer (smaller than Yamaha) is still continuing active driver support for Firewire interfaces that have been released about 12 years ago. And even for older 15 years PCI interfaces with WDM, WDM-KS and ASIO support.

fuzzydude

Post by fuzzydude » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:53 pm

Helidream wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:51 am
If the MR driver and Nuendo code are well structured and well documented this kind of bug should ask only for a few minutes to repair.

Steinberg interfaces is a serious brand and there is no indication of support drop in the Nuendo 8.2 release note. It is not fair for clients if support is dropped without notice. So obviously i don't think that it is a desire from Yamaha / Steinberg to drop support silently.

More, it is still possible to find a few new MR816csx interfaces (i bought one new a couple weeks ago).

Another point is that the newer UR824 USB interface cannot be daisy chained. This mean that the UR824 is not able to process more than 16 channels at 88.2 or 96 KHz, when two cascaded MR816 are able to manage 24 channels (16 internals Mic/line and 8 channels using ADAT i/o).
The UR824 can only process 8 internal channels, and 8 external channels, because ADAT links only allow for 4 channels on each link at 88.2 and 96 KHz (there is two links).

And to my knowledge, there is no other interface brand (except the higher end Yamaha Interfaces) that have hardware mixer integration inside Nuendo. This mean that the MR816 still have an interest for some uses (gives SPDIF coaxial i/o too).

At least one other serious brand interface manufacturer (smaller than Yamaha) is still continuing active driver support for Firewire interfaces that have been released about 12 years ago. And even for older 15 years PCI interfaces with WDM, WDM-KS and ASIO support.

I've been involved in software dev and what can seem simple from a logical external point of view, may indeed not be from a real coding perspective. I'm hopeful that it's a simple fix but you can never tell.

Me too

I don't think so either, so keeping my fingers crossed.

I don't think its been listed as a current product on the Steinberg website for some time. Some dealers may still have a few of them but that's nothing to do with Steinberg. My question to anyone would be why they buy a discontinued product, one that's already been on the market for almost 10 years?

How Steinberg run their business is entirely up to them. If they choose to stop support for FW devices that's also their business. We either adapt or move on.

fuzzydude

Post by fuzzydude » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:16 pm

Helidream I think it would be good idea now to ask the MODS to move this to the Steinberg Hardware/Steinberg MR816 forum.

Helidream

Post by Helidream » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:38 pm

Why not, but obviously this is a Nuendo 8.2 problem.

shanabit

Post by shanabit » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:41 am

Its missing in Cubase 9.5.30 here as well. Ive tried some of the Hub templates, no go. Hardware tab is GONE
Cubase Pro 9.5.40, StudioOnePro 3.5.6
OSX 10.13.6 High Sierra
MacPro 2010, 14GB Ram, 2x 2.4Ghz Quad Core
Steinberg MR816X Tools ( Current)

fuzzydude

Post by fuzzydude » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:49 am

Helidream wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:38 pm
Why not, but obviously this is a Nuendo 8.2 problem.
It's not at all obvious! It's a problem in N8.2 and CB9.5.3 as we've already established together. We need the MR hardware implementation team to take a look at this.

Edwin

Post by Edwin » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:46 am

It's absolutely a bug in Cubase pro 9.5.30.
Hardware rack is missing for the MR816csx.
Uninstalled Cubase completely, then reinstalled drivers and tools for MR and reinstalled Cubase 9.5.0. Hardware rack was present in CB9.5.0!
Updated to CB 9.5.30 and the hardware rack for MSR816 was gone.
I repeated the procedure twice with the same result.
No hardware rack for the MR816csx in Cubase pro 9.5.30
Steinberg please?
Edwin
------------------------------------------
Cubase 9.5.21 / Wavelab 7 / MR816csx / Windows 7 and lots of guitars!

fuzzydude

Post by fuzzydude » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:55 am

Edwin wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:46 am
It's absolutely a bug in Cubase pro 9.5.30.
Hardware rack is missing for the MR816csx.
Uninstalled Cubase completely, then reinstalled drivers and tools for MR and reinstalled Cubase 9.5.0. Hardware rack was present in CB9.5.0!
Updated to CB 9.5.30 and the hardware rack for MSR816 was gone.
I repeated the procedure twice with the same result.
No hardware rack for the MR816csx in Cubase pro 9.5.30
Steinberg please?
It isn't 'absolutely' anything right now until Steiny provide a confirmation. Same issue in latest Nuendo. No one except Steiny knows if it's directly related to the DAW code or if an update to the MR Tools code is required. I do hope we get an answer/fix soon.

Helidream

Post by Helidream » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:27 pm

I think that it's a compatibility problem between the MR816csx and the newer Cubase / Nuendo versions.

The trigger of this bug was the application side (there was no MR816 firmware / driver modifications in the meantime). So it is evident that modifying the application side can solve it.

Probably this can be corrected both modifying the hardware firmware / driver side, or modifying the application side.

But it is even more evident, that correcting it at the hardware side, could be a better road, because at the same time the MR816 driver / firmware could be updated and a few bugs corrected at the same time (not working external effects at 88.2 / 96 KHz for example).

It's possible to post a resume of this thread in the MR816 forum as well, but obviously i'm in the hope that developers are reading all posts in all forums, or at least that someone at Yamaha / Steinberg is scrutinizing all forum sections and report to the developers things that need attention.

Helidream

Post by Helidream » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:27 pm

Still no hardware rack with Nuendo 8.2.10 update.

Still possible to get a half working hardware rack opening a Nuendo 7 template.

This is not fair for Yamaha clients that have MR816 interfaces.

I will stay away from Steinberg / Yamaha hardware in the futur. Long term support is inexistent.

liph

Post by liph » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:14 pm

Same problem for me, suddenly the card becomes unusable with cubase .. At least the effects are no longer accessible. I realized the problem by starting a recording session .. Thank you steinberg and yamaha .. It's very pro .. !! What a shame. it's very easy to make material obsolete .. I will never buy yamaha equipment, I am very disappointed with this way of doing ...

shanabit

Post by shanabit » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:21 pm

Silence
Cubase Pro 9.5.40, StudioOnePro 3.5.6
OSX 10.13.6 High Sierra
MacPro 2010, 14GB Ram, 2x 2.4Ghz Quad Core
Steinberg MR816X Tools ( Current)

ltf3

Post by ltf3 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:26 am

Bump

Come on SB ... what’s the situation?
Lee

Cubase 8.5, Nuendo 8, Cubasis ( gotta luv it ), Arturia Audio Fuse, OS 10.12.6, Mac Mini Quad Core 2.6GHz i7, 16GB RAM, Intel Graphics 4000

fuzzydude

Post by fuzzydude » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:54 am

I contacted support over a month ago. Have had nothing but vaniila replies until 3 days ago, offering to perform a remote support session to preview the issue. No responses to my specific questions have yet been answered. e.g. are the hardware team aware of the issue, have they looked at the llnks supplied to issues on the forum.

Steinberg support stated to me that they do not review their forums! Only direct queries via your mysteinberg account are considered.

Helidream

Post by Helidream » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:49 pm

This is not a good way to manage and solve problems. Community work is more efficient when solving such problems.

Any news from the support ?

I did find a workaround to be able to get the three positions for the insert switch :

Put the mouse pointer on top of the switch, then rotate the mouse scroll wheel. This will switch between the three possible positions of the insert switch :D :D :D

As it is the case very often when a large company decide to not support a previous generation hardware, contacting support is time lost. Most often it's better to find a solution by yourself, if possible.

Return to “General”