DOLBY ATMOS 7.1.4

Hello there,

Dolby Atmos implementation is a great asset in Nuendo 8 but I wonder why it’s “only” in the 7.1.2 flavor ?

It seems to mee that most UHD Blu-Rays were in 7.1.4 so why not implement the Back Height pair too ?

Hoping it could come in a new update of N8, but it can only happen if enough users ask for it so please, raise your voice here !

Stéphane.

+1

Have you tried the 7.1.4 setup.
As far as I can see it should match the Atmos Home Theatre setup.

Fredo

It does but the connection to the Dolby RMU is limited to 9.1 hence my request to push it up to 11.1

Maybe it’s a question of license with Dolby ? More channel=more expensive ?

Hmmmm … I have been looking for some information, and found out that we are not the only ones to be confused.
As far as I have been able to research, Dolby considers the 2 extra rear-ceiling speakers to be copies of the 2 front-ceiling speakers.
I.e. they are receiving the same singal as the front ceiling speakers.
Which makes that you can’t pan stuff to the rear-ceiling speakers, unless you use object-panning.

Can be wrong though …

Fredo

From what I heard it was a limitation with Pro Tools is why Dolby stayed with 7.1.2

So it is a limitation on the Pro Tools end ? I read too that Atmos is limited to 7.1.2 in PT. Bummer.

But then, why does the Dolby Atmos Mastering Suite supports up to 22 channels ?

You should be able to pan Audio Objects wherever you want and connect this metadatas to the RMU so it will pan informations to rear height too, no ?

This is recent I believe. I’m not sure if it applies, but since the topic is Atmos:

That is correct. You can pan objects into these speakers (or any other extr speakers).
You need the Dolby Production Suite for this.

Fredo

Hello all and thank you Fredo to took time to look into the Dolby Atmos question.

From what I think I understand better now : VST Panner in Nuendo act as the panner of the Production Suite for Protools.

VST Panner connect to the HT-RMU of the Mastering Suite, 128 channels capability with first 10 channels reserved for the 9.1 bed, the rest for the Objects.

Mastering Suite is about 1000€ for just the software, dealers used to sell a 10.000€ machine to run it with MADI cards but I believe you can just buy the soft and build your own machine around it for MUCH less. Also, since it support ASIO drivers, I WANT to believe that you can use the upcoming RME AVB and DANTE interfaces with it.

Now, I don’t know HOW Nuendo could work with this configuration or if the MADI cards are mandatory, I don’t know yet how the Metadatas work between Nuendo and the Mastering Suite.

That is correct.

VST Panner connect to the HT-RMU of the Mastering Suite, 128 channels capability with first 10 channels reserved for the 9.1 bed, the rest for the Objects.

You don’t need the RMU to pan objects, you can already do that with the Dolby Production suite.
The only thing you need a Mastering Suite/RMU for (Cinema RMU or Home Theatre RMU) is for Authoring/creating master files.
(And a few other features)

Mastering Suite is about 1000€ for just the software, dealers used to sell a 10.000€ machine to run it with MADI cards but I believe you can just buy the soft and build your own machine around it for MUCH less. Also, since it support ASIO drivers, I WANT to believe that you can use the upcoming RME AVB and DANTE interfaces with it.

As far as I understood, you still need an RMU. A Cinema or Home Theatre RMU
If you want to create masters for Cinema, then you will still need the Cinema RMU.
If you want to create masters for Blue Ray or any other Home Theatre application, then you need the Home Theatre RMU. ***

*** It might be though that with the Mastering Suite Dolby indeed has eleminated the use for a Home Theatre RMU.
But I highy doubt that this will be the case for the Cinema RMU, 'cause these units are “granted” to you.
You can only rent them, after your facility is Dolby Certified.

So -as usual- it still is a bit unclear.
:slight_smile:

Fredo

Weird. At least three times I receive an email saying that there is a new message on this thread but when I go to the forum there appear to be no new reply.

Did you guys deleted your replies ?

Stéphane.

No, it’s a forum bug I bet. I get notifications of private messages that are a month old.

Same here. It has started to happen frequently and from different threads.

I get all excited, and then –

nothing.

It might be that there is an attempt to spamming.
New “members” must have their first 2 posts approved by a moderator before their post becomes visible on the forum.
Of course spam and spambots never get approved…
Might be the reason why you don’t see the posts.

Fredo

fenderchris, I understand you !

Fredo, yes probably spambot.