Expression Maps

Hello Daniel,

Re: Incomplete programming of Performance and Expression Maps Features in Dorico

I would like to express that it seems to me a bit pointless to add features to the Dorico that presume in the first place that the performance and expression maps features work properly, especially when I am increasingly getting the impression that they don’t. Myself and a colleague would really like to use Dorico to score to film. You have added that feature in a pretty comprehensive way to the program. Yet the performance aspect of Dorico needs to be at a critically high level in order to make use of what could be an excellent new video scoring capability. You have even added professional audio output features such as recording to stems. That is not available on Sibelius. Its impressive that you thought of doing this. And you are about to add transcription of real time keyboard playing. Yet you have admitted that the performance aspects of Dorico are incomplete right now. Why not fix this critical aspect of the program first before adding new features that entirely depend on this key aspect of the program?

I admit that I can not possibly understand the complexities of what you are doing so there may be a deeper programming reason for why you are not completing this area at this time. However, I want to just tell you that it is the performance aspect of Dorico that keeps me from switching fully from Sibelius and fully recommending your program to others at this stage. There are complex reasons for this on my part and I am using Dorico for some publishing and part printing - but I can’t ditch Sibelius yet although I really want to. Working with both programs in frustrating partly because I want to make the switch and fully learn all the many lovely streets and alleyways of your product.

However, if NotePerformer could just sound as good in Dorico as it does in Sibelius that would be all I would need right now. Unfortunately my music sounds choppy in the Dorico version and I think I know why. Arne’s critiques make sense to me and truly I do not fully understand some of your response to them. I am hoping this is all a very temporary situation but your recent replies to similar questions and requests on this part of the forum leaves me feeling discouraged.

I hope I am mistaken in what I assert here and would warmly welcome being corrected in these matters.

Sincerely

Paul Nicholls