Let us know which VST2.x plug-ins are working in Dorico

“ARIA Player VST_x64
565354474152416172696120706C6179

I’m trying to get aria player vst 64 going as well… is the number line beneath “ARIA Player VST_64” a universal number (realizing it’s probably not) or is that referencing the windows registry folder it resides?

Thanks

That is a plugin ID, and it is universal and Unique to the ARIA Player, and the same on all Windows systems.

It is no longer needed in a Dorico whitelist. With the latest Dorico 1 or Dorico 2 versions, you only need the plugin names in the whitelist:

ARIA Player VST_x64
ARIA Player Multi VST_x64

With Dorico, I’d suggest using the Multi Version, as it allows you to designate each instrument slot to unique Dorico Mixer channels.

You will likely find the Aria Player (Multi) more useful, since it lets you output the different instruments/channel slots to different channels in the Mixer.

ARIA Player Multi VST_x64

I’m trying to use East West’s Spaces reverb, in combination with NotePerformer 3.

Is that possible?

I followed the instructions I found online, about how to “whitelist” a VST2 effect / instrument. But it doesn’t seem to work.

Thanks!

In theory you can certainly use Spaces with Dorico, though I’ve not actually used it myself. This support article is up to date, so if you follow the steps in there you should be all set. If you still have problems, I suggest you start a new thread along with some more details of what you have tried, and perhaps also zip up the contents of your VSTAudioEngine2 folder from /Users/your-username/Library/Preferences and attach it to your post.

Thanks Daniel!

This works - I can include two instances of Spaces on each of NotePerformer 1 and NotePerformer 2, see screen picture.

Update July 22, 2018: Spaces 2 by East West - still in beta testing, to be released next week - works with Dorico as well.

Follow the instructions posted by Daniel above about whitelisting VST2 plugins.

You can use both of them at the same time, by the way (Spaces 1 and 2).

ps Daniel - check out the GUIs - is that sexy, or what? Look at all those big shiny knobs.

Hi there,

could someone please help me out here? Thanks if you can :slight_smile:

I’ve noticed some instruments I have in my vst dorico folders are not there.
The instruments I can see are Kontakt 5, note performer, Vienna ensemble and East-West Play, but I cannot see my Ivory Piano, and Garritan CFX piano, which then means I have to whitelist these - I’m guessing that “whitelist” means that once these instruments on my notepad are inserted into the certain file defined by the instructions, on starting up next time, the vst engine will find these and add these to the vst instruments that are available. I hope that I’m correct here.

I’ve seen the instructions for getting my vst instruments into Dorico [2] that is. Here they are -I need to ask what one of them means first:

“Enter the file name of the desired VST plug-in without file name extension. Please strictly comply with the spelling and case of the original file name.”

I’m not sure where I get the file names from for these instruments? Do I get them from my Steinberg vst instruments folder where the dll files are? Thanks if you can give the info.

And for the following instruction:

“Start a new line for each VST2 plug-in you like to add to your whitelist.”

I’m not sure what that means for me to do. Does it simply mean that after I’ve added the name, I hit the “enter” button to start a new line with a different instrument in the document?

thanks kindly for any advice and help someone can give me here :slight_smile:

Steve M.

The name of the VST should be the name of the .dll without the .dll extension.
Answer to #2: Yes, hit the Enter button to start a new line.

Hi Derrek,

thank you for that info. I’ll get started and see what happens!

Steve

Thank you Derrek,

wow - worked perfectly. You’re a champion! Fantastic!

best,

Steve

wow - I’m just using my Garritan CFX piano in Dorico, and the Cubase sound engine is amazing - the sound is beautiful and pristine clear.

I can confirm that Best Service Engine 2 runs just fine in Dorico after whitelisting, I’ve been using it quite extensively in the film I’ve been scoring for the last couple of months now.

I’ve also been using it alongside Noteperformer and several instances of Kontakt and Play with no issues so far.

ConTimbre2 ( https://www.contimbre.com) - you have to open the player once after starting Dorico before playback. Otherwise Dorico2 is freezing when you try to play.

1. Neo-Soul Keys
  2. Mac OS 10.13.3
  3. Neo-Soul Keys Studio

Microtonal playback is not working with this plugin. Any ideas what might be behind this? Should I contact the developer?

Yes, Jude, there’s nothing we can do on our side. Ask the developer whether the plug-in supports the VST 2.x detune parameter. My guess is that it doesn’t, otherwise microtonal playback would be working already.

Ravenscroft 275 piano by VI Labs works fine. The vst2whitelist.txt line was “UVIWorkstationVSTx64”.

WIVI is working. Others have been mentioned

I can get VOCALOID5 VSTi (a Yamaha voice-synthesis engine) to appear as an option in the Play synth-selection list, but so far cannot get it to recognize MIDI notes in the instrument linked to it. This does not surprise me, since VOCALOID is a very different sort of VST in the way it processes MIDI data to add synthesized lyrics (and the default voices seem to have a Japanese accent even in English–trying to get them to pronounce the word friends is pretty much hopeless :laughing: ). But VOCALOID has been designed to work with Cubase, so down the road (way down the road?) it may be possible to integrate it into Dorico too.