Quintize Automation Points

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 here.
DamnedCubo

Quintize Automation Points

Post by DamnedCubo » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:58 pm

Is it possible to quantize the automations points to the grid in the new Cubase 9? How?
Many Thanks

vic_france
Grand Senior Member

Re: Quintize Automation Points

Post by vic_france » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:57 pm

Hi,
not directly, but it can be done via the Project Logical Editor..
I attach a screenshot of a PLE setting that will quantize automation to 8th notes (and I'll try to explain those numbers ;) )..
Quantize Automation to 8ths.jpg
(70.61 KiB) Not downloaded yet
The principle is as follows..
"Round by" always rounds down, so, by first Adding half of the desired quantize value, we can be sure that it will always round down to the nearest quantize point rather than to the lower quantize point. (If the original position, before adding, were less than half way to the next quantize point, then it would round down to the previous quantize point even if adding that half value would take it past the half-way point (so long as it didn't take it past the next one). But if the original position were more than half way to the next quantize position, then adding that half value would indeed take it past the next quantize point, and the "Round by" would then round it down to that next quantize point.
So, in this screenshot, we added 0.0.1.0 ppq (which is in fact a sixteenth note), then rounded it down by 240 "ticks" (which is the length value of an 8th note)
If we had wanted to quantize to 16th notes, we would instead add 0.0.0.120 (i.e. the length value of a 32nd note) then round it down by 120 ticks (the length value of a 16th note).
I really wish Steinberg would include these PLE presets for Automation Quantize as standard ;).
Mac Pro Quad-Core (2009) 2.66 GHz | 16GB RAM | MOTU PCI-424/2408mk3|MOTU Midi Timepiece AV | Mac OS X 10.9.5 | Cubase 9.5.0| Logic Pro X 10.2.2| ProTools 11.3.1| Ableton Live 9.7.5| Reaper 562 | Studio One Pro 3.5.1

Stephen57

Post by Stephen57 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:05 am

vic_france wrote:Hi,
I attach a screenshot of a PLE setting that will quantize automation to 8th notes (and I'll try to explain those numbers ;) )..
"Round by" always rounds down, so, by first Adding half of the desired quantize value, we can be sure that it will always round down to the nearest quantize point rather than to the lower quantize point. (If the original position, before adding, were less than half way to the next quantize point, then it would round down to the previous quantize point even if adding that half value would take it past the half-way point (so long as it didn't take it past the next one). But if the original position were more than half way to the next quantize position, then adding that half value would indeed take it past the next quantize point, and the "Round by" would then round it down to that next quantize point.
So, in this screenshot, we added 0.0.1.0 ppq (which is in fact a sixteenth note), then rounded it down by 240 "ticks" (which is the length value of an 8th note)
If we had wanted to quantize to 16th notes, we would instead add 0.0.0.120 (i.e. the length value of a 32nd note) then round it down by 120 ticks (the length value of a 16th note).
I really wish Steinberg would include these PLE presets for Automation Quantize as standard ;).
Gold -- thank you!.
-------------------------------------------------------
DAW: Cubase Pro 10 (Main), Cubase Pro 9.5 (Backup); PC: HP Z230, i5 CPU quad-core 3.5 Ghz, 16 Gigs RAM; OS: Win 7 Pro 64-bit; Audio Converters, Scarlett 2I4, Zoom UCR-8; USB MIDI Controller, Akai Advance 49. VST-Is: Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2.5, Stylus RMX; Air Music: Hybrid, Transfuser 2, Vacuum Pro, Velvet, Xpand2; Novation: Bass Station; Sonovox Grand Piano; Rack: Proteus 2000, Korg 03R/W, Yamaha TG 33. Monitoring with KRK Rokit 8/G3, Tannoy PBM 6.5 II, Mics. Scheops, Sennheiser, Rode, Lectrosonics RF, etc.

Help with Cubase:
Documentation: https://steinberg.help/
Location/file paths of presets in Cubase and Nuendo: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... nd-Nuendo-
Preferences: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... and-Nuendo

aaandima

Post by aaandima » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:48 pm

vic_france wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:57 pm
Hi,
:shock: long time posting, but very important futher , see it and many thanks for that, but ...............

Has Steinberg this automation been realized it on Cubase 9.5 Pro ?
„Ach, wissen Sie, im Grunde genommen ist die Sache ganz einfach. Es geht nur darum, die richtige Taste zum richtigen Zeitpunkt zu drücken. Das ist schon alles.“ J.S.Bach

Steinberg: Cubase 10 Pro. Nuendo 10, Dorico 2, Halion 5/6, Halion Symphonic Orchestra, Groove Agent 5 , Grand 3. WaveLab Pro 9x
Hardware: Win 8.1 Pro ( + Win 10 Pro test system), UR28M,
Fremdtools: Cakewalk Sonar Platinum (lifetime update), Cakewalk BandLab, Presonus Studio One Pro 4+, Presonus Notion 6, Cantabile 3, Synthesizer > UVI Falcon, Waldorf Nave, Iris 2, AAS Strum/Analog/Chromaphone, Factory SugarBytes, Synthmaster, Fathom, Objeq Delay, BreakTweaker, MeldaProduction MSoundFactory. Mix/Mastering > iZotope Neutron Advanced, Ozone Advanced. Server Tools: VSL Ensemble Pro 7 including diverse VSL Synchron Libs

mtibes

Post by mtibes » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:37 pm

Respect!! I have to try this!

Michael
Cubase 9.5, win 8.1 with latest updates, I7 with 16 GB Ram, RME Raydat & PCIe Digiface, UAD Quad

Ivan1981

Post by Ivan1981 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:46 am

Damn, yesterday I played with millions of automation points snapping them to the grid and still not precise! How I was cursing... Why does Steinberg ignore this so many times requested feature? :( Quantization of automation points should have long been integrated into Cubase.

mitchiemasha

Post by mitchiemasha » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:30 am

Yes... I NEED this feature. As well as the ability to group link automation points on different tracks.
W10, CP10, i7 9700k OC 5.0, Noctua NH-U9S, MSI z390, 16Gb 3000Mhz DDR4, PCIe NVME 970 Pro, AC-1 Carillon Case, Be Quiet SP11, Virus TI (Integrated), Yamaha CS2x (Custom Mapped), Novation Stations, Nord Rack 2, JV1080, 2x Presonus Firestudio, Dynaudio BM5's mkII & Eve SC305's.

BobbyDLoofy

Post by BobbyDLoofy » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:53 pm

How hasn't this been added? bit ridiculous

Return to “General”