Dorico 2 Pro - cannot get video import to work

When it fails, perhaps send the log so they can check.
Perhaps try another video converter (or try any video file from another source).

I tried converting the original file again to the H264 codec in a .mov container using the same utility and now it’s working fine, however it remains to be seen just how long it will keep working for this time… I’m not entirely convinced about the stability of the Dorico video playback engine yet.

Sorry you’re having these kinds of problems, Terry. Would it be possible for you to share the original file with us, for the purposes of troubleshooting? If so, please send it to me via WeTransfer (to d dot spreadbury at steinberg dot de) so I can ask the video engine team if they have any ideas.

Ah well, this is the thing, it’s all working again now so I’m not sure me sending you the Dorico file will help that much as I replaced the original video with a newly encoded version. however I can if you like. It does use quite a few third party plugins (Kontakt and Engine mainly) and Noteperformer 3 as well though.

The file for the previous cue I was working on (which had similar issues to begin with) does still have the filename for the original video attached although the file itself has since been deleted, I could send that instead.

I think I read on another thread that a) video paths should not contain unusual characters, b) should not be more than a certain number of characters (128 IIRC) and c) should be stored on a local drive, not a network location.

It was at least weeks ago if not months ago, and I’ve not done any research recently to back up these criteria, but just in case my memory is working properly you could double-check that your video file meets these three criteria…

Hi Terry,
pretty late, but it is just now that I read this thread. Looking at the screenshot, I think this is the same issue that I am sometimes running into. On the taskbar the video window gets shown as a small preview, but it does not appear on the screen, because it is shifted off-screen outside of the visible area. How it gets there? I have no idea, but this is how I get it back:

Hover with the mouse over the Dorico icon in the taskbar, so that the small preview video window appears. Move the mouse to the middle of it and do a right click. From the then appearing context menu choose ‘Move’. The mouse cursor will change to an arrow pointing into all 4 directions (and will move somewhere to the edge of the screen). Now, press one of the cursor keys (up, down, left or right), but only once. The cursor shape will then change back to normal, but if you now move the mouse, the video window’s position will follow the mouse cursor. Position it at a convenient location, make one left-click and the video window will stay.

Hope this helps.

Hi Ulf,

Cheers, that’s very interesting and yes that certainly what appears to be what’s happening in my case when it does go wrong, I’ll keep that one in mind if I run into the issue again. :slight_smile:

Terry

For the record I just had this issue pop up again (in Dorico Pro 2.1) and Ulf’s advice worked just fine. I still find it very odd because it hasn’t done that for ages and seems very random, but at least it’s easy to correct now. :slight_smile:

If this helps: I DID notice that opening the video file was less reliable when dragging it from an external drive (I kept getting that it didn’t accept the file format until I moved the video file to the main hard drive). Also: once dragging the video file onto the session in Play Mode, there’s a very noticeable pause before anything actually happens (took me a while to realize this)…

• D.D.

The pause will depend on the size of the video file: Dorico has to demux the audio track(s) from the video as it attaches it, so that the audio can be played back by the audio engine.

get something like formatfactory (free), and keep trying different formats / settings. eventually something will work. it’s the only ‘solution’ i’ve found. and yes it sometimes takes up half the time scoring to the damned video.

FaceTime App

Our video team recommend that you use a piece of software called MediaInfo to find out the crucial metadata about a given video file, and consult our compatibility information for which formats are supported (the formats are common between Cubase, Nuendo, and Dorico).

For what it’s worth Carter123 I ended up using this program (on PC) to convert my files to H264 MP4 format (I also mentioned it on the previous page of this thread):

[/url]

I think it’s also worth mentioning that one of my original issues (file not recognised as compatible) was probably caused by file naming limitations within Dorico itself at the time which have now been resolved. :slight_smile:

Hi There,

Does anyone have a solution for the latest version of MacOS Mojave? I’m using a MacBook Pro 2019 15" with 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, something like a 4.2GHz processor and the latest version of Dorico. I have to right-click on the Dorico icon, show all windows, movie just to get it to show the window. Then, no matter what I do, it’s just black when I try to play through the score to get it to work. The video I’m working with is a screen recording taken on my Mac, so uses the default Mac movie format and title.

The problem may be that if you close the video window by clicking the red traffic light button in its corner, it won’t then work correctly again when you reopen it; this is a bug that’s on our list to fix. Instead, use the key command to open and close the window, or the button on Dorico’s toolbar, and that should keep it working correctly.

Thanks Daniel - it worked!

However, just a little feature request: In order for the movie window not to be in the way all the time, (but so you can still see it whilst writing) could you have it so you can minimise it into one of the side toolbars (like a dedicated movie thing, perhaps under the video tab, where it says “properties”?). I’m thinking along the lines of how video works in Apple’s Logic Pro X. I think it would be very useful, unless there is already a way to do this that I don’t know about.

Thanks again,

Kerz

That would be quite difficult to do technically at the moment with the way the video engine and Dorico work together, but it’s something we should look at as the software evolves.

How to recover lost video window.
Solution worked for me. thanks!

Hover with the mouse over the Dorico icon in the taskbar, so that the small preview video window appears. Move the mouse to the middle of it and do a right click. From the then appearing context menu choose ‘Move’. The mouse cursor will change to an arrow pointing into all 4 directions (and will move somewhere to the edge of the screen). Now, press one of the cursor keys (up, down, left or right), but only once. The cursor shape will then change back to normal, but if you now move the mouse, the video window’s position will follow the mouse cursor. Position it at a convenient location, make one left-click and the video window will stay.

HI all, even if this have been posted some time ago, for me with Dorico Pro 3, have also solved the issue with the hided video.
So it seems this issue persist on new versions, but great to see there is a really simple solution.
thanks!

I have just had this happen to me today on version 3.1.10.1032.
I had a feeling the video window had disappeared off screen but couldn’t find a ‘restore open windows’ tab. Thanks Ulf