Cubase 10 expectations, hopes, etc.?

Big +1

Even Intel released new motherboards with support for win7

I hope they can fix the audio dropouts on multi-core CPU thing. I expect that for the more money i put on my DAW it should also be a better DAW.

The GUI & associated work flow really needs to be more consistent. Studio One is far superior in this regard after having used both for several years. Its simple to use and super efficient. Working in Cuase is like wading through treacle in comparison

• UI is really untidy & inconsistent. The UI uses Different fonts, we have disappearing M/S buttons when zooming in on the mixer
  • We’ve lost a lot of the customisation in recent versions - can only now pick and adapt from existing from a colour palettes
  • The inspector is old fashioned. Steinberg should expose as many commonly used controls as possible to avoid having to click, open, close and scroll panels all the time
  • The floaty menu bar in windows is absolutely bizarre and wastes real estate if you extend the project window across two monitors. So annoying!!
  • We should have an option to have all plug ins render in a single tabbed window or have them separate - this should respond when I change tracks
  • Dragging and dropping is clunky - If I want to insert an audio clip into the project, I have to position the now cursor and drag the wav file all the way over to the left hand side to create a new track. I just want to drop it directly into project window - such a faff
  • The features to add/remove a track are not consistent between the mixer and the project window… grrr - means I have to switch back to the project window all the time
  • The editor windows have lost their integrated transport buttons - I have to jump bakc to the project window as a result
  • no smart tools in this day in age is painful - Sonar had this 10 years ago

In summary it takes too many clicks to get simple things done. Focus less on adding on adding generic instruments/content and give us a world class work flow.

+1

much bigger problems/things to fix than the constant revision and fiddling with the GUI. To me it also looks like one of the most Pro and quality ones out there.

I find myself agreeing with almost everything you stated. Especially the comment about an option for a tabbed window for plugins that follows track selection. I love that feature in Studio One. It cleans things up. Keep the old way of course, but add tabs for plugins as an option, please!

And frankly, Studio One’s plugin routing/splitter feature is really outstanding too… Cubase could stand to borrow that idea… it’s really helpful for creative sound design, and much more powerful than just serial plugin insert slots.

But more to the point of the whole UI issue, Cubase’s UI could definitely stand to get more love. I’m not in the camp that it looks terrible (I miss the old 6.5 look BTW), but it can still use a lot of improvements.

From me as a new user of Cubase Pro 9.5,I can’t really comment, on what’s right and what’s wrong, and ways to improve Cubase. As I have used Cubase for only a few months. :smiley:
And I am really enjoying the learning experience,discovering new features each time.I am off work.

Like every DAW,each one is unique as regards to features, faults,quirks etc,etc.Choosing a DAW,is very much a personal choice,you have to decide,what you want from the DAW ,(hoping that you try the demos beforehand,like I did) :smiley:

My only wish (here’s hoping) is for Steinberg to be kind to us all,and offer free upgrades to Cubase 10 when it arrives,ha,ha :laughing:

I have to say despite my quibbles around workflow and UI frustrations - at it’s core Cubase is absolutely incredible. So feature rich. Genuinely amazing and light years ahead of other DAWs IMHO. I just wish they’d focus on polishing, and consolidating the features, and improving usability and stability. I’ve used Cubase for about 6 years now after moving from Sonar and many of the issues back in C7 days are still here (slow launch time anyone??)

Ah man, many (including me) have posted so many things over the years and for 9.5, I just don’t have the time to write it all out again, sorry. :slight_smile: But there are plenty of things that would make things faster and more intuitive (especially if some are given as options for those who prefer the current way even if it’s slower).

THIS!!!

All true and excellent points. It just needs to be paid attention to and modernized (i.e. made faster, more efficient and less clunky/click heavy) in these and some other ways.

Totally agree with these points in particular & especially (8) in comparion to other DAWs.

Track Presets 2.0 - Track presets 2.0 - Cubase - Steinberg Forums . Would transform my DAW use if its rugged and reliable. Don’t care about much else save for bug fixes.

These are all prime for me, and perfectly said. Man, Ripple Editing would be such a gigantic win for Cubase. Let’s hope they “get” what it is (it’s so simple a concept – I have hard time understanding why some don’t get it).

Dual MONO
Massively overhauled SRC

I wish :

• improvement of latency management (I have better latency in Pro Tools than in Cubase)
  • preset for instruments Rack with the multi audio outpouts linked to it
  • maybe a better color mapping for the console instead of just a little part.

Some of the rumours I have heard for Cubase 10 Pro sound amazing. Here they are:

1. An AI plug-in which monitors the program for bugs as they occur on the user’s system. The bugs are fixed before a crash happens and the user’s OS is tweaked and optimised.
  2. With the aid of a new and inexpensive piece of Steinberg hardware there will be an interface that allows Cubase to know what you are thinking, make suggestions and help you through difficult periods of composition [and your life].
  3. Some users who have important clients and wish to get their projects finished yesterday will receive preferential VIP treatment. They will always receive financial compensation for any delays. They just have to press a special button on the Hub - only they are allowed to press it.
  4. Cubase will now run on any piece of hardware even if it has no computing power whatsoever.
  5. Those users who wish to use Cubase on several computers that are 1000s of km apart will only require the one dongle. The program will be able to run simultaneously on all of the computers without any latency by using quantum entanglement.
  6. Customer service is to be expanded. Every user will have their own Steinberg employee allocated to them who will be able to call round at their house at a moment’s notice.
  7. Sorry, I just woke up…[sound of delay+reverb added].

LOL, awesome list!

I’d like some sort of sub track - Audio warp is such a great feature, but we should able to warp multiple tracks together without the need for workarounds. It puts me off recording with multiple microphones. If we record with multiple microphones, safe in the knowledge we could audio warp them together that would be ace. Some sort of sub track, where they could be treated as one track on the mixer would work really well.

Some of my hopes actually aren’t features but Steinberg streamlining.

• get rid of the paid .5 versions so that there is only focus on ONE version for updates and bug fixes.
  • get rid of either Cubase Artist or Cubase Elements and streamline the programs (considering there is also the Nuendo lineup)

Feature hopes

• access and utilize hit-point information via Arranger for various tools (eg. scissors + locators) (ie quickly chop drum parts to hit points from Arranger)
  • improve mixer GUI
  • variety of templates included for included sounds
  • better dialog menus such as create a new track(s) with more properties (eg Logic)
  • change project audio folder location manually
  • Arranger track improvements such as record audio in Arranger mode
  • new arpeggiator + pattern sequencer
  • Score tablature display improvements (it currently displays inappropriate fingerings)
  • multi-channel audio handling improvements (eg use 4 or 5 channel audio format for recording multi-source), so that editing audio is easier

Feature expectations

• mono/stereo stereo/mono conversion no rendering required (audio clips maintain information such as splits+fades, etc)
  • VST 2.4 works as expected
  • new VST rack (re-arrange racks, better GUI + scaling)
  • import dual mono as stereo
  • new and improved audio export dialog to better handle the individual tasks of 1) track mixdown 2) export channels
  • export audio channels feature to keep audio properties ‘as is’, such as bitrate + stereo/mono
  • import audio dialog options such as bitrate + stereo/mono (eg. down conversion of import audio)
  • export slices feature (this works currently but there is no actual ‘feature’ to support this