Stream Deck macro keypad

For what it’s worrh, I use a Logitech G13 gamepad in conjunction with Dorico. It’s essentially an extra keyboard that fits under my left hand.

For note entry I have a keyboard layout set up that includes all common note durations, tie, slur, dot, common articulations. Crucially it ALSO includes lengthen/shorten commands, undo, space (for advancing the caret) etc. Just because I have spare keys on this layout, the top row of functions is programmed to filter top and bottom notes, filter upstem voice 1 and downstem voice 1, and change to upstem voice 1 and downstem voice 1. Oh, and “remove rests”.

This way it’s not a case of wasting time moving a hand from a keyboard to the other device - my right hand lives on my MIDI keyboard and my left hand lives on the gamepad. My computer keyboard simply isn’t necessary. Occasionally my right hand has to reach for the mouse.

I then have further layouts set up for weirder and wackier things. For example one basically only contains macros for dynamics and pedal markings. Each of the keys triggers the complete process of invoking the relevant popover, typing the dynamic or pedal marking and hitting Enter.