FOLD option on MIDI editor - Cubase 10.5 -- now implemented

Why do you not use Abelton?
I can imagine that the workflow with Abelton is better for you.

I use cubase because it does not work like Abelton. :slight_smile:
I don´t need a fold feature in Cubase´s big key editor. That does not make sense.
hint: People use the key editor in ableton as a drum editor (!) a fold function is important in this case.
In Cubase we have a fold solution in the drum editor, that´s great and ideal in this editor. But not in Cubase´s key editor.
My opinion.

Come on! a feature request doesn’t make the DAW… Is just a feature request, you know? like the thousands and thousands of features requests on this forum… Requests exist because there are DAWS with the wished features … …

I wonder how, if this is the worst and “stupid” feature asked (here apparently), why in protools forums, reaper forums, and many others users from other DAWs are asking for a fold as an extra option. Just make a google re search …

P.S: Fold is not only from Ableton, if you ever tried Logic X, you know than there is also this feature.

Sorry, I´m a former Logic user since End of the 80´s, namend Notator, I use Logic 10.3. But Cubase is in so many ways better.
BTW, in this article are many points that I must confirm:

I stay with my opinion and I’m not alone with that: there are more important features that Cubase is missing.

Im off of this thread. It´s your thread. Bye.

No I get it, I just don’t like it !!

one more time… I was not speaking about which DAW is better, this is not a DAW wars, If im here is because my chose and my main now is Cubase, its an expensive DAW, Im not throwing the money its my choice, it fill my expectations. Im no going to change to Ableton by his fold function or to Logic by his fold option, request is a request like the ones of everybody else here.

Your replies attitude is like say: “Track header and Column/ Insert Sends” ? no, no no, just move to Protools or keep in Nuendo, this looks ugly and I don’t like your request -1 I think by this request, this is not the DAW for you, those features are for stupids, because I don’t find useful myself or maybe you go back to Logic, I can imagine is better for you

(of course is an example of your kind of replies… im making a sarcasm referent to your latest comments It is not my thought)

I was just requesting a simple feature, thats all…

However, if the Key Ed did fold I would abandon the Drum Editor in a moment for the Key Ed. Hate the way it only shows one drum’s velocity at a time.

nice, 11 ppl but fold is wining lol…

I must correct myself!
FOLD option on MIDI editor IS the future.
Many people’s lives would be a lot easier if we had this Fold Option.

1 Like

I like the fold option, know it from my experience with Live a couple of years ago. It focused to the existing notes not the unexisting which are mostly the majority :wink: when editing controllers, velocity, timing etc.
I like to see it within the inline editor too.

The drum editor in my opinion is not well implemented, I like to see not all 127 notes but the notes which are assigned by the drummap. So if you start e.g. with the kick and you fold, you don’t see other instruments, so you have it unfold first to add a snare note. And drum editors folding only “looks” in the selected part which is also a little bit curious.

Im surprised how this is becoming for good! :slight_smile:

I’d argue that the way Steinberg has implemented the fold feature within the Drum Editor is not only sufficient, but equally as good as the way Live has implemented it. And Cubase BY FAR has Live beat when it comes to BASIC MIDI editing. I love Live but it’s severely lacking in the midi editing department. As far as building ideas though? Live is far superior to Cubase if you’re in to making beats and just wanna mess around with ideas. Session View and Clips in Live are a Godsend. Those along with m4L are the only thing Live does better than Cubase imo.

Was the fold feature ever implemented , it’s incredibly important ?
Any work around for this the drum editor ain’t cutting it I tried .
Ableton and Logic does this so effortlessly , please Steinberg implement the fold feature in Cubase midi editor it’s essential to my work .

1 Like

bump

yes please!

1 Like

I do everything from complex orchestral work to beat programming and Fold would be an incredible tool to have at my disposal when needed. SO many examples of when it would be great and save time.

1 Like

This is one of my favorite features on Ableton. I mainly use it to fold a scale (which in Ableton requires adding the notes of the scale first). That can be solved with a way to select a scale and “disable” notes not in the scale. It’s also useful for samplers/drum machines, where not all notes have sounds on them.

This will be an amazing addition to Cubase! As someone who spends a large amount of my life working with drum programming this is a GIGANTIC time saver! The continuing collapse of my key editor when smashed into the project window makes that view style more usable. I only see the kit pieces I use and don’t have to switch views to edit. If I need more articulations, I simply press the Fold or Uncollapse button, add the articulation, and fold it again to now see that articulation in the collapsed view.

I just found out about this feature in Logic Pro X when I loaded it up to try out because my workflow in Cubase 10 continues to be sloppy and frustrating. Logic had some real wins over Cubase and collapsing the piano roll to only include the notes I use was one such revelation. PLEASE IMPLEMENT THIS!

+1

+1

YES!!! Finally somebody who suggests a new function that improves creative speed and work flow a lot.
I ONE 100% SUPPORT this suggestion, and hope Steinie can implement this, in the most simple straightforward way possible.

Thanks OP, keep it coming :slight_smile:

In cubase it’s just a little different you select the midi part then DISSOLVE THE MIDI PART, then select display in lanes and band each lane is each not of your scale