Expression Maps

Hi,
I need a bit of help in defining a basic expression map. I am new to Dorico (liking it a lot so far!) and am probably missing something simple. Here is my situation:

(I feed the output of Dorico to a Yamaha MX-49 via MIDI, but this is just FYI as I don’t think it affects the problem.)

I am writing some Jazz and am using the Jazz quartet template and notating on the Drum staff. I have programmed a simple hi-hat and snare rim shot sequence. I am just using the default hi-hat note entry (no open or closed symbols) and I am using the Sn. Dr.: Rim technique on the snare symbols, which shows the quarter notes with the line drawn through them. Here is a picture:
Phrase.jpg
Here is a view from the Play (sequencer) page:

You can see that the output is set to MIDI Channel 10 (fairly standard), and you can see the two playing techniques being displayed: Natural (for the hi-hat) and Rim (for the snare).

Here is the first expression map that I created and assigned to Channel 10:
Expression Map Rim Only.jpg
In my first attempt, I defined only a “Rim” technique which transposes the note down one semitone (which selects the rim shot sound on the MX-49, C# instead of D). This plays the snare rim shot correctly, but it plays the hi hats as a low tom, which means it is transposing the hi hat down a semitone as well, even though it is not marked with the “Rim” technique and therefore (I presume) should not be transposing it.

In my second attempt, I defined both the “Rim” and “Natural” techniques, with the latter doing nothing to the notes. This seems like it should work, however something odd happens when I save this expression map: The sequencer view updates and now shows the hi hat playing a “Closed” technique (though I have changed nothing in the sheet music and have not notated this), and the snare now changes to “Natural” (even though I have not changed the sheet music and have the snare notes notated as “Rim” as describe above). Why does it do this?

When I play the phrase with the second expression map (with both natural and rim techniques), the hi hat now play correctly, but the snare plays as a regular snare- e.g., the “Rim” technique seems to be ignored.

I tried a variety of other settings- for example, creating an additional “Closed” technique that does nothing- but no matter what I seem to do, as soon as I include a “Natural” technique, the snare switches to “Natural” even though it is notated as “Rim.” Thus I don’t seem to be able to get it to play the hi hat normally (no transpose) and the snare as “Rim” (transposed -1 semitone). What am I doing wrong? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!!
Jim