Wavelab 9.5.2 + AA Ruby = Crash

As already mentioned, the Acustica company has be notified. This is not WaveLab that is crashing: this is the plugin that crashes, and then that makes WaveLab crashing.

Thanks PG, I hope they fix it, Aquamarine is my favourite mastering compressor so I would like to use it in WL.

Hi PG,
What I see in my system is that after v.9.5.15, all my Acustica plugins will crash the program on render.
If it is the plugin that crashes, why then this doesn’t happen in Wavelab 9.5.15 ?
I mean that the only change in the system is about the last Wavelab updates.

The ball is in the camp of Acustica to answer this question. But a difference, is that under 9.5.15, the Acustica operates in 32 bit float samples, while in 9.5.30, it operates in 64 bit. I guess their problem is there.

I understand, thanks.

From bad to worse… People who invested a lot of money in plugins that work in Cubase, Reaper and S1 etc…but not in Wavelab (latest updates) will have to decide which way to go as Acustica Audio mentioned that if things persist they are going to mark Wavelab as not compatible :s

Giancarlo Del Sordo (AA CEO): Also other hosts are doing it. They changed it and it doesn’t work. Also 32 bits mode is not working any more. I don’t have crashes at all in reaper, or studio one. They asked to use trial versions for testing, they can’t even provide normal versions like avid or other vendors are doing. I think we’ll give a glance in August or september, but something changed and it is “not just 64 bits”. Hope you understand it.

Giancarlo Del Sordo: I didn’t change anything… They changed and now everything is broken. At this point things will require time, but it is against the logic that I have something broken without changing anything on my side AND cubase is working.

Even though Cubase and WaveLab are made by Steinberg, you should let Giancarlo Del Sordo know that they are not the same DAW and it’s possible to follow VST spec close enough that all appears OK in one DAW, but not in another DAW. It’s not so black and white.

AA is not the only plugin company to suffer from issues in WaveLab but they seem to be one of the most stubborn about solving the issue which in the long run would be helpful to them to make more sales. Many other plugin companies have taken actions to get their plugins working OK in WaveLab.

Normally I’d give them some benefit of doubt but since I found nothing about the process of demoing, buying, activating and otherwise using their plugins, I can’t help but think that maybe they need to make some more global changes.

I know many people swear by these plugins but all the hassles I had with them (not even related to WaveLab) when trying to audition them does not inspire me to give them any more chances. Maybe they make the best sounding analog models but what good is it if they are so problematic in more than one DAW? The latency alone is hard to deal with and tells you something about their optimization or lack of.

I think maybe they need more resources so that people good with the programming can focus on that, and other people can focus on QA, website sales/demo, authorization etc.

Hi Justin, you are a gentleman and a nice guy (in the past you helped me a lot in some subjects) but I think your statement about Acustica Audio is a little bit unfair.
I did run through some tests and I discovered that when you render the audio files through Audio Montage section in Wavelab (I mean when someone load the Aquas in that section and NOT in the Master Section), everything is going fine. There is no crash!! I even did “burn” a DDP file using Aquas ONLINE and it created successfully. So I think that PG must take a deeper look in this issue and not to wait Acustica Audio to make the next step.

I think that PG must take a deeper look in this issue and not to wait Acustica Audio to make the next step.

It is not possible because the copy protection of Acustica prevents checking.
I don’t understand why an Acustica programmer has not yet tried, because they have a WaveLab at their disposal.

Hey PG! I spent many hours today checking various Aquas. (I’m on mac OS X)
I can ensure you that I didn’t have any crash while I was using not just one, but many instances of AA plugins inside Clip - Track - Output effects in an Audio Montage. I did render - export ddp without crashing the program.
Is there any explanation for this behaviour? Why the crash happens only through the Master Section?

Master Section section and montage are not working exactly in the same way.
But again, the copy protection of Acustica prevents any investigation.

Ok, at least for me now this is a workaround.

Comment from JUCE framework creator Jules about Wavelab compatibility: “Would love to be able to say we fully support WL, but debugging and finding workarounds for its weird behaviour can be a ridiculously time-consuming and frustrating process!”.

Ok, but the thread that quote is from was discussing a plugin that didn’t work in Wavelab 6, but did work in Wavelab 7 and 8. It was quite a while ago. I hope the current issue can be worked out.

I got another email from them saying they are now discovering the issue…

Comment from JUCE framework creator Jules about Wavelab compatibility

Totally outdated.

@mindseyedub: You just weakened your argument quite considerably. Quotes without hyperlink are useless.

Useless? Copying the quote into Google finds the thread in a couple of seconds. But I agree providing a link is polite.

Paul

It’s more than polite, and it this case (with the quote being irrelevant because outdated) it looks like a conscious act of deceit to not include the source.