Groove Agent 5 update too expensive!

@ Maggie: The full version of GA 4 is 138 € at Thomann. Considering that there is a grace period for free upgrades to GA5 (for recent purchases of GA4), this makes the the theoretical price difference between the full version of GA5 (138 €) and upgrade (99 €) a total of only 38 €.

If you sold your existing license of GA4 for 80 € on the secondary market a week ago, subsequently bought a new full version of GA4 for 138 € then upgraded for free to GA5 within the grace period, you could have actually gotten the upgrade for 58 €.

That’s more like what people would be willing to pay, around 50 to 60 €.

99 Euro to Canadian is $147.85. I’m off the upgrade bus.

Agree - way too expensive (unless they are deliberately setting it high now and planning to drop it on Black Friday!) They must think we are all fools!

Resizing for me is to resize the buttons too.
The price? Maybe it’s correct if you’re a Steinberg employee, as a user … hm … no.

Toontrack: wait 'tll the black Friday week-deals come along, got mine at 40% off i think. You can also find SD2 fairly cheap on Ebay, did that and then upgraded to SD3. Addictive Drums2 is also quite good, simpler to use. XLN also offers 50% off usually one week around Christmas. Drawback is their ONLY online copy protection functionality, why i did not buy the full pack, just one quite good percussion kit. -F

Unfortunately, very disappointing :frowning: !! bought it as impulse buy and a complete waste of money as it should have been a maintenance update. Wish I could get a refund!! :angry:

My gut feeling was there was too little to pique my interest for the update price. HALion 6 has live sampling. Just record the samples in Cubase or HALion 6 and import them into Groove Agent 4! We have become so lazy!

I purchased GA5 outright feeling I needed more features than GA SE4 offered. So far, I’m not that impressed and would suggest others not to buy or upgrade until you try the demo (if they bother to release one that is).

A few things that bothered me:

Same dated timestretch algorithm
GUI resizes but buttons/icons do NOT & remain small
Wave showing behind envelope should be a default setting (or at least a preference)
More CPU hungry (buy around 15%) than GA SE4 with the same kit loaded
States that you can Drag Drop samples from Groove Agent to Cubase but to date cant figure out how and manual doesn’t explain either
And yep that upgrade price. I for one wouldn’t have done so at that price. And to think that the competition like Imageline offer free for lifetime upgrades on their flagship DAW. They make Steinberg look like outright greedy and anti consumer.

PS I wish the Groove Agent forums were more lively. It’s almost a ghost town over here.

Easy. No buy. Money saved :smiley:

Not sure steinberg is on point or even being honest with this.

This is seems like a maintenance upgrade rather then a new branch.

There sure must be many super rich musicians that can afford GA5 . The update is too expensive .

Also I just noticed that it’s $99 in American dollars yet Steinberg is charging Canadians $150 Canadian.

Here’s the currency conversion rate $99 USD = $130.6355 CAD

Is there any way you could show us that Groove agent 5 is 15% more CPU hungry than Groove agent se4? A screenshot or a video. This is important to me as Groove agent 4 is already quite CPU hungry. It needs is twice the amount of CPU that Addictive Drums 2 does and a quarter more than ezdrummer.

Not for me either - just too pricey!!
Very excited to readthere was an update. I’m a loyal Steinberg subscriber since the very first editiion of Cubase and have since gone on to add Halion, Groove agent,Orchestra, songwriter, guitar harmonics…etc I remember the upgrade from GA to GA4 wan’t that expensive. Having read the reviews it would appear that GA5 doesnt warrent the upgrade price. perhaps best to miss a generation or look elsewhere? Come on Steinberg…reward your loyal users please dont “USE” them for simple profit gain…if you want to keep us - treat us well, or we’ll walk.

Well clearly business must be booming, either that or the powers that be at Steinberg are NOT LISTENING and IN DENIAL!

If this was football I think I can safely say that Steinberg have played an OWN GOAL!

Actually, the GA4 update price was the same as this one… on other hand, that update was a very big one. This update seems to be much smaller. But the price structure is actually the same as before. Logically a smaller update should be cheaper than a bigger one though.

Definitely a disproportian between the upgrade price of GA5 and Cubase Pro 10. Why? Because its the same, 99€! And I also would never have upgraded to G5 if Cubase Pro 10 had been released first. Why? Because it includes GA 5 SE, which would be ok for me. For me, this was a calculated move by Steinberg, because they knew this was gonna happen. That’s why I really feel like I’m being screwed. I am using Cubase since the Atari times, but this move to get my and the money of others is a shame which I never saw before.
So its not only the huge upgrade fee, but also to release it short before Cubase 10.

SO TRUE !!!

I’ll pass both updates…wait for a cut in price, or well kinda go see what other brands has to offer. (BTW I’m the kinda guy who buys the (cubase) update kinda fast usually…well not this year, I’ll keep my money)

I’ll buy when its $50

Ok, when it’s 49$.
That is a reasonable price for this update!