Help with VST Connect Pro and Performer iPad App

I have been trying to use VST Connect Pro to connect with a friend in another state. I am using Cubase 10 Pro with VST Connect Pro on a 2018 MacBook Pro running the lastest OS. My friend is running the VST Connect Performer app on an iPad Pro. I used create VST connect to set everything up. We were able to establish a connection, and he could see my video feed and hear me, but his video feed did not appear and I could not hear any audio from his side.

I read the manual and followed all of the steps, tinkered around with settings, still nothing.

Now, I am new to Cubase and suspect much of the issue is user error. But I have searched for tutorials and answers on the forums and have not yet come across anything that addresses this issue. Is there anyone who can help me figure out how to get this working?

Thanks in advance.

Set Performer audio and video devices in settings/Performer, and audio ports in the performer Monitor mixer.
If you don’t hear Performer, make sure “Performer” Monitor dial is up, and that you have the VST Connect Monitor plugin active in the Control Room. Note: this is inserted into the Monitor section of the Control Room by “Create VST Connect”; if you use “Phones” instead, you may have to move that plugin there.
There is also an in-depth documentation at https://connectvst.com/

Thanks, musicullum. I definitely tried adjusting those settings already. I even walked through the steps in the link you provided. Still no video or audio from the other side.

That’s strange. Let us know what the LEDs in the plugin show, all green?

Yes. All green. He can move the faders and navigate through Performer, all of that. So there is definitely a connection. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Cubase, thinking maybe I screwed something up when I was tinkering around. Haven’t had a chance to test it out yet. If you have any other suggestions in the meantime, I’d be grateful to give them a shot as well.

Ok, so step by step:

• does the Performer have assigned audio ports in the Performer mixer? Do the meters move when Performer applies some signal? Does the Performer hear himself thru these channels?
  • if you switch a Performer track to monitor in Cubase (right, you shouldn’t because of the delay, but for testing:), do meters move in the Cubase Mixer/Track?
  • make sure the “Performer” dial in the VST Connect plugin is up.
  • if no meters move: what are the Performer audio setting (cogwheel)? Device, audio upstream? What is the Performers’ audio device, and are inputs of that device assigned to Performer Input channels (top)?
  • video: what is the Performers’ video device, upstream rate? Does the Performer see his own picture?
    (Re-)installing doesn’t help, there is obviously a working connection so basics are covered. We just need more information, thanks for your patience.

Thanks for helping out, musicullum. I’ll take screen shots next time my friend is available to try this out and post them. Will probably be a day or two. In the meantime, Ill try to answer your questions as best as I can remember:

• does the Performer have assigned audio ports in the Performer mixer?
    I think so, he has whatever pops up automatically when you use Create VST Connect.

• Do the meters move when Performer applies some signal?
    No.

• Does the Performer hear himself thru these channels?
    He hears himself through his own monitors, which I believe are coming out of his interface. But I do not believe he hears himself through the app.

• if you switch a Performer track to monitor in Cubase (right, you shouldn’t because of the delay, but for testing:), do meters move in the Cubase Mixer/Track?
    No.

• make sure the “Performer” dial in the VST Connect plugin is up.
    I believe it was.

• if no meters move:
    what are the Performer audio setting (cogwheel)?
    Not sure.

• Device, audio upstream?
    Not sure.

• What is the Performers’ audio device, and are inputs of that device assigned to Performer Input channels (top)?
    He is using a Behringer UMC404HD, or something like that. And yes, I have tried assigning and reassigning them.

• video: what is the Performers’ video device, upstream rate?
    iPad Pro face camera, not sure

• Does the Performer see his own picture?
    No.

Hi,

maybe this hint will help: An iOS application which needs access to the audio- and video-signal of the device has to ask the user for permission. If the user denies the request the app won’t get any video or audio signal. It sounds that your Performer has not given any user-permission to the VST Connect Performer. He can update the settings. To do that:

• Open the Settings app
  • Browse to the “VST Connect Performer” entry
  • And enable Video and Audio Access.

Did that help?
Michael.

… one more question: Which iOS Version is used?

Thanx,
Michael.