Some older plugins cause Cubase 10 to crash in Windows 10

Use this forum for an overview of issues and to report new ones.
currentsound
Member
Posts: 207
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:16 am
Location: Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, USA
Contact:

Some older plugins cause Cubase 10 to crash in Windows 10

Post by currentsound » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:20 pm

Running windows 10, I noticed that some older plugins that still work in Cubase 9 on the same machine crash when opened in Cubase 10.

But... I found a work around....
If you run Cubase 10 in 'compatibility mode' for 'windows 8'. All those plugins work fine, however you get a message saying "Soft E-Licenser does not have enough permissions" on bootup if you do this and Soft E-licenser plugins are disabled so that is the negative side effect of running it in 'compatibility mode' but the plugins that would previously crash Cubase end up working fine.

Running Cubase 10 in administrator mode does not fix the issue. I assume this is some sort of permission issue?
Attachments
Cubase 10.0.5.72 64bit 2018.11.15 22.19.dmp
(976.29 KiB) Downloaded 301 times
Cubase 10.0.5.72 64bit 2018.11.15 22.21.dmp
(766.53 KiB) Downloaded 171 times
Cubase 10.0.5.72 64bit 2018.11.15 22.29.dmp
(846.64 KiB) Downloaded 160 times

volvissimo
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:52 pm
Contact:

Re: Some older plugins cause Cubase 10 to crash in Windows 10

Post by volvissimo » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:21 pm

Hi, I make the same experience with Cubase 10. Would be nice to fix that issue in the next update. Thanks. 8-)

bassbill
New Member
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:52 pm
Contact:

Re: Some older plugins cause Cubase 10 to crash in Windows 10

Post by bassbill » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:48 pm

Same issue here. Very frustrating indeed. I have C 10 for a week now, and still working with 9.5.41.
This is totally unacceptable!
Plugins in most of my templates cause C 10 to crash.
I will try your workaround @currentsound but still this is not a solution.
Anyone listening from Steinberg ???

Win 10 64 bit

bassbill
New Member
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:52 pm
Contact:

Re: Some older plugins cause Cubase 10 to crash in Windows 10

Post by bassbill » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:27 pm

Yes, the workaround solves the problem as you described.
Hopefully everything will be alright with the first update.
Will continue like this till it comes.

Thanks @ Currentsound ;-)

sonic74
Member
Posts: 325
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Some older plugins cause Cubase 10 to crash in Windows 10

Post by sonic74 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:59 am

A big project of mine opened seamlessly in Cubase 10, but a smaller one crashes (suddenly disappears). (I am aware of the auto track color issue that crashes Cubase 10, this is not it) (also HiDPI isn't selected)


Working on multiple serious projects... once you lose the feeling of a rock-solid stability, you have no choice but to go back to 9.5.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Steinberg,

There are really lots of power users out there. It is not anything like your trailer videos with a bunch of channels and instruments where a few hipsters come together and make one of those same songs over and over again. You have to test big projects with a wide variety of plugins and configurations. In a recent post, one of your staff is asking people about multicore usage with version 10. Why? Don't you have systems to test it? Build an i9, build a threadripper, build a Xeon, etc.. and test!

Are you aware you charge some serious amount of cash for the updates, only to have them fail in some way? Obviously that price doesn't cover betatesting.

P.S.#1 I also wish this forum becomes a place of free-speech and threads don't get suddenly locked.

P.S.#2 There is nothing wrong about hipsters.
Back to good old Cubase 9.5 / intel 5960x @ 4GHz / asus x99 deluxe / 64gb ddr4 @ 3000MHz / vst connect pro / vsl ensemble pro 5 / korg nanokontrol2 / spl 2control / behringer bcf-2000 / lynx aes-16e / lynx aurora 16vt / uad quad / neumann kh310 / genelec 8050a / too many plugins

Fiction
New Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:20 pm
Contact:

Re: Some older plugins cause Cubase 10 to crash in Windows 10

Post by Fiction » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:49 am

sonic74 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:59 am
A big project of mine opened seamlessly in Cubase 10, but a smaller one crashes (suddenly disappears). (I am aware of the auto track color issue that crashes Cubase 10, this is not it) (also HiDPI isn't selected)


Working on multiple serious projects... once you lose the feeling of a rock-solid stability, you have no choice but to go back to 9.5.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Steinberg,

There are really lots of power users out there. It is not anything like your trailer videos with a bunch of channels and instruments where a few hipsters come together and make one of those same songs over and over again. You have to test big projects with a wide variety of plugins and configurations. In a recent post, one of your staff is asking people about multicore usage with version 10. Why? Don't you have systems to test it? Build an i9, build a threadripper, build a Xeon, etc.. and test!

Are you aware you charge some serious amount of cash for the updates, only to have them fail in some way? Obviously that price doesn't cover betatesting.

P.S.#1 I also wish this forum becomes a place of free-speech and threads don't get suddenly locked.

P.S.#2 There is nothing wrong about hipsters.
+1 !!

TidesN
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:41 pm
Contact:

Re: Some older plugins cause Cubase 10 to crash in Windows 10

Post by TidesN » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:51 pm

Please anyone an explanation , after much frustration, I found that deleting VST_Transit_64bit and Generic_Lower_Latency_ASIO_Driver_64bit I could finally get pass the Cubase 10 Pro becoming unresponsive at initialization. Win 10.

maartenl945
Junior Member
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:40 pm
Contact:

Re: Some older plugins cause Cubase 10 to crash in Windows 10

Post by maartenl945 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:37 pm

This seems to be a duplicate of issue: viewtopic.php?f=286&t=147296&start=25

PRILIPAK
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:44 am
Contact:

Re: Some older plugins cause Cubase 10 to crash in Windows 10

Post by PRILIPAK » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:01 pm

me too
bassbill wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:48 pm
Same issue here. Very frustrating indeed. I have C 10 for a week now, and still working with 9.5.41.
This is totally unacceptable!
Plugins in most of my templates cause C 10 to crash.
I will try your workaround @currentsound but still this is not a solution.
Anyone listening from Steinberg ???

Win 10 64 bit

pillerk
New Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:31 pm
Contact:

Re: Some older plugins cause Cubase 10 to crash in Windows 10

Post by pillerk » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:48 pm

I also crash Cubase 10 with older but still usable 64-bit plugins. 8.5 works fine with them. I do not think this update will be solved. I think Steinberg has started in that direction! And as usual, this is not a mistake but a property!

pillerk
New Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:31 pm
Contact:

Re: Some older plugins cause Cubase 10 to crash in Windows 10

Post by pillerk » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:49 pm

I'm looking forward to the update...

currentsound
Member
Posts: 207
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:16 am
Location: Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, USA
Contact:

Re: Some older plugins cause Cubase 10 to crash in Windows 10

Post by currentsound » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:35 pm

maartenl945 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:37 pm
This seems to be a duplicate of issue: viewtopic.php?f=286&t=147296&start=25
I guess it is now since most of the people in that thread have found that the reason that their 9.5 projects aren't opening is because the plugins themselves are causing Cubase 10 to crash on Win 10 even though the same plugins work fine in 9.5
Last edited by currentsound on Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:29 pm, edited 9 times in total.

currentsound
Member
Posts: 207
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:16 am
Location: Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, USA
Contact:

Re: Some older plugins cause Cubase 10 to crash in Windows 10

Post by currentsound » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:39 pm

pillerk wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:49 pm
I'm looking forward to the update...
The same plugins that were causing Cubase 10 to crash for me, still cause Cubase 10 to crash with the 10.1 update. Hopefully they'll eventually fix this in another maintenance update but I'm starting to worry a little as I thought this would have been one of the first things to be resolved. If they work in 9.5 and in Cubase 10 when running in 8.1 compatibility mode, I see no reason why they shouldn't run in 10. I speculate that something must have changed with how Cubase interacts with Windows 10 and VST plugins that is not happening when running it in compatibility mode or on other operating systems.

maartenl945
Junior Member
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:40 pm
Contact:

Re: Some older plugins cause Cubase 10 to crash in Windows 10

Post by maartenl945 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:09 pm

currentsound wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:39 pm
pillerk wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:49 pm
I'm looking forward to the update...
The same plugins that were causing Cubase 10 to crash for me, still cause Cubase 10 to crash with the 10.1 update. Hopefully they'll eventually fix this in another maintenance update but I'm starting to worry a little as I thought this would have been one of the first things to be resolved. If they work in 9.5 and in Cubase 10 when running in 8.1 compatibility mode, I see no reason why they shouldn't run in 10. I speculate that something must have changed with how Cubase interacts with Windows 10 and VST plugins that is not happening when running it in compatibility mode or on other operating systems.
Agreed!

Regards,
Maarten

maartenl945
Junior Member
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:40 pm
Contact:

Re: Some older plugins cause Cubase 10 to crash in Windows 10

Post by maartenl945 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:22 pm

maartenl945 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:09 pm
currentsound wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:39 pm
pillerk wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:49 pm
I'm looking forward to the update...
The same plugins that were causing Cubase 10 to crash for me, still cause Cubase 10 to crash with the 10.1 update. Hopefully they'll eventually fix this in another maintenance update but I'm starting to worry a little as I thought this would have been one of the first things to be resolved. If they work in 9.5 and in Cubase 10 when running in 8.1 compatibility mode, I see no reason why they shouldn't run in 10. I speculate that something must have changed with how Cubase interacts with Windows 10 and VST plugins that is not happening when running it in compatibility mode or on other operating systems.
Agreed, and confirmed that the update doesn' t fix the problem.

Regards,
Maarten

xhqk5
New Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:09 pm
Contact:

Re: Some older plugins cause Cubase 10 to crash in Windows 10

Post by xhqk5 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:02 pm

There is a workaround in the german Forum. if u add the plugin microshift (from soudntoys, it can be disabled) to the insert in the control room, all the plugins are working again. Dont Know why but it works

maartenl945
Junior Member
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:40 pm
Contact:

Re: Some older plugins cause Cubase 10 to crash in Windows 10

Post by maartenl945 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:01 pm

xhqk5 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:02 pm
There is a workaround in the german Forum. if u add the plugin microshift (from soudntoys, it can be disabled) to the insert in the control room, all the plugins are working again. Dont Know why but it works
Unfortunately, adding microshift in the project (in Cubase 9.5) and then trying to open with Cubase 10.0.10 doesn' t work for me.

Thanks for the suggestion though,
Maarten

User avatar
Fabio Bartolini
Moderator
Posts: 1308
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:55 am
Contact:

Re: Some older plugins cause Cubase 10 to crash in Windows 10

Post by Fabio Bartolini » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:33 pm

@currentsound: do you have crash dumps from 10.0.10, too? If yes, please send them over, preferably to support but if you update here I'll have a look in any case when time allows.

The previous crashes were:

22.19 - Acoustic Feedback, access violation
22.21 - Metal Amp Room, access violation
22.29 - Likely related to Autotune 8, unknown error in process

Could you check that these are updated and (especially if you can't update the VSTs for whatever reason) check that the licensing software they use is a recent version?
Fabio Bartolini, Test Engineer
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany

PC1: Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X, i7-8700K, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2666MHz, Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+ 8GB, Windows 10 Pro
PC2: GA-Z170-Gaming K3, i7-6700K, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2133MHz, ASUS Dual GTX 1060 6GB, Windows 10 (8.1 and 7 Pro backwards comp.)
PC3: GA-H97-HD3, i5-4690K, 16GB Corsair DDR3 1600MHz, Sapphire RX 570 Pulse 4GB, Windows 10 Pro (7 Pro backwards comp.)
Office DAW 1: GA-X570 Gaming X, Ryzen 7 3700X, 16GB HyperX DDR4 3200MHz, Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB, Windows 10 Pro
Office DAW 2: Mac Mini 2018, i7 3.2 GHz, 32GB DDR4, Intel HD 630, MacOS Catalina

sonic74
Member
Posts: 325
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Some older plugins cause Cubase 10 to crash in Windows 10

Post by sonic74 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:34 pm

xhqk5 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:02 pm
There is a workaround in the german Forum. if u add the plugin microshift (from soudntoys, it can be disabled) to the insert in the control room, all the plugins are working again. Dont Know why but it works
Strange thing, my 9.5 project is now loading on 10.0.10, before it was crashing, and the only difference is I switched on Control Room and inserted a Sonarworks plugin on my monitor outs.

So maybe it doesn't matter what plugin, but any plugin as an insert at the Control Room output? Very strange anyway :)) But the project is working now:)

EDIT: Just tested... Switched off that insert plugin, closed / opened that project again, it still works. Even switched off Control Room, close/open, still works... I'll never know what the cure is, but I am happy, and sorry for this post.
Back to good old Cubase 9.5 / intel 5960x @ 4GHz / asus x99 deluxe / 64gb ddr4 @ 3000MHz / vst connect pro / vsl ensemble pro 5 / korg nanokontrol2 / spl 2control / behringer bcf-2000 / lynx aes-16e / lynx aurora 16vt / uad quad / neumann kh310 / genelec 8050a / too many plugins

User avatar
Fabio Bartolini
Moderator
Posts: 1308
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:55 am
Contact:

Re: Some older plugins cause Cubase 10 to crash in Windows 10

Post by Fabio Bartolini » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:54 pm

Any licensing relationship with other plugins you had problems with?
Likewise, any UI relationship?

Some 'unknown error' crashes might hint at the first; the three crashes above all had a GPU driver component call just before the boom, which might hint at the second and would be very interesting to know if anyone remembers which plug-ins' UI were open (or opened automatically with project recall on loading) at the time of the crash.
Fabio Bartolini, Test Engineer
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany

PC1: Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X, i7-8700K, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2666MHz, Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+ 8GB, Windows 10 Pro
PC2: GA-Z170-Gaming K3, i7-6700K, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2133MHz, ASUS Dual GTX 1060 6GB, Windows 10 (8.1 and 7 Pro backwards comp.)
PC3: GA-H97-HD3, i5-4690K, 16GB Corsair DDR3 1600MHz, Sapphire RX 570 Pulse 4GB, Windows 10 Pro (7 Pro backwards comp.)
Office DAW 1: GA-X570 Gaming X, Ryzen 7 3700X, 16GB HyperX DDR4 3200MHz, Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB, Windows 10 Pro
Office DAW 2: Mac Mini 2018, i7 3.2 GHz, 32GB DDR4, Intel HD 630, MacOS Catalina

Rockefeller313
New Member
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:37 am
Contact:

Re: Some older plugins cause Cubase 10 to crash in Windows 10

Post by Rockefeller313 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:03 am

I tried putting SoundToys Microshift on Control Room and bypassing it.

Now all Antares, Softube and Slate Digital stuff seems to work without running Windows 8 compatibility

I don't get it, but it seems to work now...

currentsound
Member
Posts: 207
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:16 am
Location: Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, USA
Contact:

Re: Some older plugins cause Cubase 10 to crash in Windows 10

Post by currentsound » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:41 am

Rockefeller313 wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:03 am
I tried putting SoundToys Microshift on Control Room and bypassing it.

Now all Antares, Softube and Slate Digital stuff seems to work without running Windows 8 compatibility

I don't get it, but it seems to work now...
I have also read before on a forum somewhere that if you load a Soundtoys plugin first then the plugins you have mentioned will not crash Cubase 10. I don't have any SoundToys plugins to test this though but this is not the first time I have read this so there is likely some sort of relationship there with loading Soundtoys plugins that makes all the other plugins you have mentioned load properly.

currentsound
Member
Posts: 207
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:16 am
Location: Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, USA
Contact:

Re: Some older plugins cause Cubase 10 to crash in Windows 10

Post by currentsound » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:07 am

Fabio Bartolini wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:33 pm
@currentsound: do you have crash dumps from 10.0.10, too? If yes, please send them over, preferably to support but if you update here I'll have a look in any case when time allows.

The previous crashes were:

22.19 - Acoustic Feedback, access violation
22.21 - Metal Amp Room, access violation
22.29 - Likely related to Autotune 8, unknown error in process

Could you check that these are updated and (especially if you can't update the VSTs for whatever reason) check that the licensing software they use is a recent version?
Here are the crash dumps from 10.0.10 I haven't updated the plugins yet. I used WeTransfer because it wouldn't let me attach them to this message for some reason: https://we.tl/t-mhQQ6P8pSO

The plugins you mentioned are the same ones in these crash dumps and all work jBridged for some reason even if you jBridge the 64 bit plugin version to a JBridge 64 bit plugin version file. You don't need to JBridge the 32 bit version. That combined with the soundtoys work around that other people have discovered would indicate some sort of bug to me.
xhqk5 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:02 pm
There is a workaround in the german Forum. if u add the plugin microshift (from soudntoys, it can be disabled) to the insert in the control room, all the plugins are working again. Dont Know why but it works
And as mentioned they also all work when running in 'windows 8 compatibility mode'

It's easy for me to mix without these plugins at all. It's just opening 9.5 or earlier projects that uses any of these becomes a problem as you know from this other thread: viewtopic.php?f=286&t=147296&start=25

naveman00
New Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Some older plugins cause Cubase 10 to crash in Windows 10

Post by naveman00 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:58 pm

Same issue here. Loading 64 BIT Waves Plug-in into Audio Insert causes crash.

currentsound
Member
Posts: 207
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:16 am
Location: Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, USA
Contact:

Re: Some older plugins cause Cubase 10 to crash in Windows 10

Post by currentsound » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:46 am

Looks like the soundtoys trick is working for all the people on this thread too. viewtopic.php?f=286&t=150923

Hoping Steinberg will acknowledge the problem and fix it without users having to do these sort of work arounds.

Post Reply

Return to “Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: audiofrq, Froglord and 5 guests