I'm finally a "new" lanes convert (Except...)

FunkyDrummer, yep you can do that. It will work (so to speak). However, once you paste the new take back into the track’s lanes, the whole comp disappears again. So you’re back at square one.

Really, when an artist wants to record new takes on top of an already comp’ed track, there is no viable workaround that correctly works within C6’s Lanes paradigm. The current design is a dead-end street (in this respect). A robust and permanent solution to this problem will require Steinberg to tweak something in Cubase 6 - perhaps adding some new way to lock and/or “save” an existing comp so you can safely record more takes onto it.

[It might also be cool if newly recorded take(s) were automatically split at the same locations where earlier takes were split across all tracks, but that’s an approach/option for the program designers to puzzle through.]

I am curious though: how do other similar DAWs handle this potentially process-breaking issue? Don’t Vegas and/or Reaper use a similar comping/lanes set-up? I can’t imagine they’re having the same problems (or are they?)