Recording takes

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 10, Cubase Artist 10 and Cubase Elements 10 here.
Gretsch

Recording takes

Post by Gretsch »

Hi, newbie to Cubase 10 elements, have a question on how do I listen to the various audio track recording takes. I see them numbered but can’t see how to pick one and listen to it. Help anyone ?
I just wanna play!
Elements 10, UR22 MkII, Macbook Pro 2.6GHz i5, 8 GB RAM, 128GB SSD
Headphones.

c28560

Re: Recording takes

Post by c28560 »

Check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkAfjh_4dSM

Specifically at 9:00 going forward.
Cubase Elements 10.5
Yamaha MOXF8, MOXF8 Editor, YC-3B Organ VST, MOXF8 Remote Editor
Steinberg: The Grand 3.1, Halion Symphonic Orchestra ,Hypnotic Dance,PadShop 2,Zero Gravity Sound Set
Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2.6.1e + lots of plugins from pluginguru.com
Toontracks EZKeys
Acer laptop with Intel Core I5, Samsung 500GB SSD, 8GM Ram, Windows 8.1 (Auto update: off), 22.5" LG monitor (1080p)

Gretsch

Post by Gretsch »

Gocha!
Wasn't really easy to find I have to say...had to watch the video really carefully a few times to see where he was clicking and then I had to find it on my track.
I just wanna play!
Headphones.

Stephen57

Post by Stephen57 »

Gretsch wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:39 am
Gocha!
Wasn't really easy to find I have to say...had to watch the video really carefully a few times to see where he was clicking and then I had to find it on my track.
Greetings. I find that to be a common issue with many "tutorial" videos from all sources. A particular feature is to be demonstrated, then, when the key mouse click, menu choice, sequences of steps is explained, the presenter flashes though the critical items and it is difficult for viewers to see what exactly was done.

You'll quickly get used to the "recording modes." If, for example, you record a 16 measure loop and play though several takes, Cubase records "lanes" if the recording options set-up to do that. Midi and Audio are a bit different. It is all explained in the documentation and there are good videos on the basics.

If you have Lanes -- you may Solo those, you may select them and hear them, you may turn the lanes into actual tracks, or you may Comp. the lanes into a single take. Remember to turn Monitor off after recording to listen to playback. All this will quickly become second nature to you.

Good luck. :-)
-------------------------------------------------------
DAW: Cubase Pro 10 (Main), Cubase Pro 9.5 (Backup); PC: HP Z230, i5 CPU quad-core 3.5 Ghz, 16 Gigs RAM; OS: Win 7 Pro 64-bit; Audio Converters, Scarlett 2I4, Zoom UCR-8; USB MIDI Controller, Akai Advance 49. VST-Is: Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2.5, Stylus RMX; Air Music: Hybrid, Transfuser 2, Vacuum Pro, Velvet, Xpand2; Novation: Bass Station; Sonovox Grand Piano; Rack: Proteus 2000, Korg 03R/W, Yamaha TG 33. Monitoring with KRK Rokit 8/G3, Tannoy PBM 6.5 II, Mics. Scheops, Sennheiser, Rode, Lectrosonics RF, etc.

Help with Cubase:
Documentation: https://steinberg.help/
Location/file paths of presets in Cubase and Nuendo: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... nd-Nuendo-
Preferences: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... and-Nuendo

Gretsch

Post by Gretsch »

Firstly, Thank you for your helpful replies. And yes I agree eventually It'll become second nature.

I've been through the Manual (Cubase 10 Operation Manual) and could not find any occurrence of track takes.
However, I did find "Handling overlapping audio". Not very logical I should say, I wouldn't have figured that out :(
So it discusses several ways to select the track take which is (obviously?) an Overlapping Audio track. So. Either the manual is wrong, I have a different version of Cubase, I have to change something in a settings somewhere to make them appear, or i'm a *a no no* head.
Right-click the audio event in the event display and select the desired event or
region from the To Front or Set to Region submenu.
When I do this I get the tools graphical menu. (Select, draw, erase etc) :(
Click the middle handle on the lower border of a stacked event and select an entry from the pop-up menu.
That's the method that was in the youtube quick-as-a-flash vid. :|
In the track list, activate Show Lanes and select the desired take.
Yeah ?? where ?? :?
I just wanna play!
Headphones.

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino »

rodger

Cubase Pro 10.5, Win10 Home, Halion6, Groove Agent 5, WaveLab Pro 10, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

Latest: Bawdy Politik https://rodgerraino.bandcamp.com/releases

Gretsch

Post by Gretsch »

raino wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:00 am
This and the next couple of pages
https://steinberg.help/cubase_pro_artis ... ing_t.html
I don't have Pro, just Elements. And anyhow, don't think this applies to the subject on hand.
I just wanna play!
Headphones.

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino »

Gretsch wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:16 am
raino wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:00 am
This and the next couple of pages
https://steinberg.help/cubase_pro_artis ... ing_t.html
I don't have Pro, just Elements. And anyhow, don't think this applies to the subject on hand.
Comping audio takes? Seemed like that was the subject at hand, but oh well... :?
rodger

Cubase Pro 10.5, Win10 Home, Halion6, Groove Agent 5, WaveLab Pro 10, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

Gretsch

Post by Gretsch »

Sorry, I didn't word my comment properly.
The documentation describes more than one way to select a take. That's the subject.
Ah well, maybe I'll figure it out one day :roll:
I just wanna play!
Headphones.

planarchist

Post by planarchist »

In Artist and Pro this is most easily accomplished with Lanes which is what Raino linked to.
Sadly there are no Lanes in Elements so the process is a lot more complicated.
Nic

Cubase Pro 10.5, Abs.Collec.3, i7 4770K 3.5GHz, 32 Gig RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, RME Digiface, Behringer ADA8200, S'berg Midex 8.
Cubase Pro 10.5. Abs.Collec.3, i7 920 2.67Ghz , 24Gig RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit , Steinberg CI2+.

Cubase Elements 9.40 on Windows 10 Laptop, i7-2760QM 8Gig RAM, Sonic Port VX.
Cubasis 2.5 iPad Mini 4 64GB

My Cubase recorded songs here (also on most other streaming services).... https://open.spotify.com/artist/6rHmZY1IPskvtYL1Zzw6Vy

Gretsch

Post by Gretsch »

Ok thank you.
I just wanna play!
Headphones.

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino »

planarchist wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:14 pm
In Artist and Pro this is most easily accomplished with Lanes which is what Raino linked to.
Wow, no lanes - that seems harsh.

Without lanes how are multiple takes even displayed?
rodger

Gretsch

Post by Gretsch »

Now I AM confused.

Sure has got Lanes, Quote from page 133 of the Elements 10 manual:
Handling Overlapping Audio
The basic rule for audio tracks is that each track can only play back a single audio event at a time. If two or more events overlap, only the one that is in front is played back. You can, however, select the event/region that you want to play back.
PROCEDURE
● Do one of the following:
● Right-click the audio event in the event display and select the desired event or
NOTE
The available options depend on whether you performed a linear or a cycle recording and the record mode you used. When recording audio in cycle mode, the recorded event is divided in regions, one for each take.
● Click the middle handle on the lower border of a stacked event and select an entry from the pop-up menu.
● In the track list, activate Show Lanes and select the desired take.
Here lies my issue...

Right click audio event on my audio event pops up the Tools menu (you know, Arrow, eraser, draw, split glue etc) NOT the To Front or Set to Region submenu.

There is no activate Show Lanes option or menu in my track list that is obvious.
I am talking about an Audio track.
I just wanna play!
Headphones.

planarchist

Post by planarchist »

Gretsch wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:43 am
Now I AM confused.

Sure has got Lanes, Quote from page 133 of the Elements 10 manual:
Handling Overlapping Audio
The basic rule for audio tracks is that each track can only play back a single audio event at a time. If two or more events overlap, only the one that is in front is played back. You can, however, select the event/region that you want to play back.
PROCEDURE
● Do one of the following:
● Right-click the audio event in the event display and select the desired event or
NOTE
The available options depend on whether you performed a linear or a cycle recording and the record mode you used. When recording audio in cycle mode, the recorded event is divided in regions, one for each take.
● Click the middle handle on the lower border of a stacked event and select an entry from the pop-up menu.
● In the track list, activate Show Lanes and select the desired take.
Here lies my issue...

Right click audio event on my audio event pops up the Tools menu (you know, Arrow, eraser, draw, split glue etc) NOT the To Front or Set to Region submenu.

There is no activate Show Lanes option or menu in my track list that is obvious.
I am talking about an Audio track.
If Elements has got Lanes then it's new in version 10, it certainly doesn't have Lanes in version 9.

However, it wouldn't, sadly, be the first time the Elements manual has referred to a feature that Elements just doesn't have....this is probably why you can't find the options. Comping is certainly not listed as an option in Elements in the Cubase 10 Comparison chart.

Going back to your original question, you can select different takes using the small downward pointing triangle that should appear in the middle of the audio that you've just recorded multiple takes of.
Last edited by planarchist on Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nic

Cubase Pro 10.5, Abs.Collec.3, i7 4770K 3.5GHz, 32 Gig RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, RME Digiface, Behringer ADA8200, S'berg Midex 8.
Cubase Pro 10.5. Abs.Collec.3, i7 920 2.67Ghz , 24Gig RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit , Steinberg CI2+.

My Cubase recorded songs here (also on most other streaming services).... https://open.spotify.com/artist/6rHmZY1IPskvtYL1Zzw6Vy

planarchist

Post by planarchist »

raino wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:40 pm
planarchist wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:14 pm
Wow, no lanes - that seems harsh.

Without lanes how are multiple takes even displayed?
They're not (unless this new for version 10). Luckily I only use Elements on a laptop for occasional recording when travelling....I'd never use it for comping.
Nic

Return to “General”