WaveLab Elements 9.5.40 crashes when saving

Interesting additional observation on the Wavelab Pro 9.5 crashing when saving:
First, I should say that the file is slightly over 2 GB large. windows reports 2.122 GB.

Initially, file can be opened, edited and saved by any audio application, such as Audition, Voxengo R8brain, Reaper …

As soon as the file is opened, edited (for example adding some markers) by Wavelab, saved, it remains locked on the disk (I tried 4 disks, two ssd, two hdd, formatted NTFS or exFAT). First save looks OK (saving in progress appears and it runs all the 100 percent through, then it disappears and the peak files are regenerated OK and one can continue editing the file in Wavelab), but it is this first saving attempt which makes the file locked on hdd. THerefore, the second save makes Wavelab hang, because it is trying to access locked file.

OK, let us close Wavelab from Tastk Manager at this point, and have a look in the Windows Explorer. The file “looks” as saved, it has the correct size, but when we attempt to delete it in Windows explorer, it hangs. Furthermore, the file is unusable by any audio application, all report unknown format, or hang when opening the file.

However, the file can still be reopened in Wavelab!

After Wavelab is restarted, the file is reopened in Wavelab automatically (since Wavelab, by default, reopens the files which were left open when it was closed the last time), but even the first attempt to save it causes Wavelab to hang. Obviously, since the file is already locked on the disk, wavelab cannot re-save it and hangs. So, something problematic happens during the saving of a file onto disk.

It is only Wavelab which makes the file unusable in this way.

On the other hand, I tried to install Wavelab on a different computer, with NTFS hdd, and the file was OK after saving in Wavelab. So, it is something specific to that particular setup and Wavelab on it. It would be nice to know what is that problem.