Post-fader / Pre-fader cubase 8.5

No, we do not. I want to see the level in the meter showing after the last insert in the FX chain (EQ, compression, etc) but BEFORE the fader level. The problem is, if the meter is set to “input” mode, you still only see the original level, no matter how much the level is actually boosted with EQ or compression BEFORE the fader. You can never tell what the actually gain structure is of the channel before it hits the fader. If you put it to “post fader” or “post panner” you can see this, but not if the fader is below “0”. As soon as the fader is below “0” in post-fader or post-panner mode, the fader affects the level of the meter negatively which does not show an accurate description of what is actually happening after the last FX insert in the chain of a channel. It’s silly. Logic and Pro Tools both have this.

This is most useful on percussion or drum tracks. I like to use VU plugins to meter my normal tracks but any tracks with fast transients like drums or percussion, I prefer to keep them at a nominal gain level of -6dbfs to assist with mixing. This helps me, and matches up well with my preferred gain level of -18dbVU = 0dbfs for mixing. Without a pre-fader (POST FX Insert) level showing on the mixer board no matter the fader positions, I have to load up more .vst metering plugins just to tell what the heck is going on at the end of the chain for tracks with fast transients. It’s childish.