SSDs

Hello!

I’m thinking of upgrading the storage on a Mac Mini to a 2Tb SSD.

Are SSds fast enough to be the System Drive, plus carry Software Applications, Sample Libraries and DAW projects?

Thank you!

Here are the specs on the computer.
Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 8.43.32 PM.png

If you’re wondering about saturating either a drive or SATA connection why not just get two drives instead? I don’t really see why you’d need more than half a terabyte for the system drive so you could either get 1+1 or 512 + whatever… or three drives…

SSDs aren’t that expensive these days.

What are your actual storage needs measured in volume? And do you stream a lot of samples or do you want fast load times or?

In a word “yes” they are fast enough - you do not need to spread load amongst harddrives as there is no seek latency with an SSD, so the randomness of the I/O load is irrelevant - nor do they need defragmenting for the same reason. You will not saturate a single SATA channel with DAW usage.

Thanx for the response!

My current computer is my “everything” computer. I’m not at the level of dedicating a computer to music applications.

It’s three DAWs, FCP X, Da Vinci Resolve, (Microsoft) office, DVD burners … you get the picture; and it’s nearly full; only 5% available.

I’m looking at a 2Tb SSD, until I can upgrade to a new mini with 64Gb RAM.

Thanx for the response!

My current computer is my “everything” computer. I’m not at the level of dedicating a computer to music applications.

It’s three DAWs, FCP X, Da Vinci Resolve, (Microsoft) office, DVD burners … you get the picture; and it’s nearly full; only 5% available.

I’m looking at a 2Tb SSD, until I can upgrade to a new mini with 64Gb RAM.

Why so much space? I just want to give myself room for any other “fat” software that I might add, or, if current software gets fatter. :wink: