N10 - Frequent eLicensor Control errors

The troubling issue extends back to N8 and not just N10.

Oliver, if you get this again, I find uninstalling then re-installing the latest E-Lic app (best to take the dongle OUT when doing this) then run maintenance usually fixes it. Temporarily.

N7 now also causes the error. I’ve reinstalled e-Licenser and dongle is new.

same problem here, I perform the maintenance on elicence and good for a few day’s and them boom, one morning same error message as mentioned above.

My problem goes away by doing a shut down and then restart

T

Any word from Steinberg on this? Quite a few of us continue to get these errors, it would be nice to hear ‘We’re working on it…’

It happened to me again yesterday. I think I’ll raise another support ticket.

[Done]

… after deleting all caches with Clean My Mac the errors became ocassonally, and vanished (I knock on wood) after the last update to OSX 10.14.5

Cheers

Still getting these errors about every other day. Support ticket has gone unanswered since 17th May. Getting despondent whether it will ever get fixed or addressed by Tech Support.

Thanks Fredo! I was having the same issues.

Same problem is happening to cubase 10 users

Same problem here. Random e-Licenser errors on N10 startup. None of the tips in this thread have worked on my end. Dear Steinberg, this needs fixing asap!

Terrible day with this yesterday. I had to uninstall, install, reboot… many times before I could get Nuendo to launch and work. Projects with Halion 6 provoked further E-licenser errors.

This is really intolerable in a professional DAW. As is the lack of any response to my support request of 17th May.

As I said in the other thread (N8 forum), try to rule out any other compatibility problem.
Try to isolate the problem.
What happens with projects without Halion 6?
What Happens when you use Halion 6 in standalone mode?
Etc …

Fredo

Thanks Fredo, I have been doing all I can to find the cause…

The errors are intermittent. Sometimes I can go a few days without any errors. There is no obvious link or cause.

Often the errors occur on first launch of Nuendo in the day. Sometimes I can simply run Maintenance in the E-licenser app, and all is well. Sometimes the E-Licenser app itself reports errors, and in that case I uninstall and then reinstall the latest version of the app, rebooting the computer after re-installing (with the dongles out). Sometimes I have to repeat this process 2 or 3 times before I can successfully launch Nuendo.

Sometimes when I load a project containing Halion 6 I get E-licenser errors, even though Nuendo is running OK. Usually once the errors start appearing, I have to quit Nuendo and deal with the problem.

-Try another USB port.
-Use a powered hub.

I usually have the dongle in one or other of the MacPro USB ports, I try and avoid using a hub for the dongle, though there is a powered hub for other USB devices, and a PCIe card with 4x USB 3 ports . I have tried moving the dongle to different ports.

I wonder if my USB hub is causing the errors, even though the dongle is not attached to it? I’ll try removing the hub and see if the errors go away.

Thanks again for your help.

Getting rid of the powered USB hub didn’t help. It did get me thinking that the problem might be related to USB in general, but I’ve tried changing the dongle around different USB ports (there are 5 on my 2012 MacPro, plus 4 on a third party PCIe card) but the errors occur wherever the dongles are connected.

It’s also worth saying I’ve had similar errors on my Retina MBP running Cubase - this is my mobile rig with Cubase. Not as bad as the studio system, but then it doesn’t get used as much. The MBP runs OSX 10.14, the studio system is on 10.12.

It would be useful to know what is happening when I uninstall the E-licenser app (I select “delete log files”) then re-install. Does this trash the E-licenser prefs, or should I do that as well?

I actually can’t uninstall the E-licenser app on my MBP running 10.14 - I get this error

An error occured while executing command:

rm -fr /Users/david 1//Library/Preferences/com.Syncrosoft.LCC.plist

The uninstall routine works on 10.12 on the studio system.

Ah - email from tech support with a link to a version of E-Licenser app, testing, will report back

Today’s love letter from Nuendo…

Seems to happen after Nuendo has been closed for a while. I get multiple messages on initial start up & then subsequent start-ups for the day are fine.

Screen Shot 2019-06-05 at 10.27.02 AM.png

I think elicenser being a 32 bit application maybe a problem.

After updating to windows 10 1903, elicenser didn’t find itself and I couldn’t run Nuendo or Wavelab for hours. Then I had to uninstall the elicenser and then reinstall it, then click maintenance. But by that time, groove agent se 5 could not be loaded with existing sounds in existing projects. I had to add new tracks of the groove agent but previous sounds were all gone as it couldn’t even open the GUI. Mysterious as hell. On top of all that mystery, elicenser now installs an earlier version only, no matter how many times I download and install the latest version.

I think Steinberg should really look into the elicenser mechanism and make it 64 bit perhaps.

It is 64 bit on Mac.

Regardless, I suspect it’s primarily a Nuendo issue, since I never had any of these problems before switching from Cubase to Nuendo.

I got a reply to my last Support ticket yesterday.

This is for Mac - no explanation but a link to this version of the E-Licenser app

"Please de-install the current eLC and re-install the latest 32 bit version from

https://download.steinberg.net/static_content/eLC-6-11-3-1244-32Bit-1e099357-2cf8-46c1-9685-16d2844079cf/eLicenserControl.dmg

"
(note - it’s marked 32Bit)

Which I have done and - NO MORE ERRORS for 24 hours now. It’s a bit early to say for sure, but I’m allowing myself a little bit of hope.

And Tech Support have marked my ticket SOLVED so it must be, right?

Note that the Steinberg website was down for maintenance yesterday - the new site is running today.