is Ryzen great for cubase?

Piledriver or Bulldozer!? Lol… no, new cooler.

I have my Ryzen 1700 (no-“x”) running with the stock cooler in an Antec case, no noise. Overclock without doing anything fancy on all cores to 3.7GHz.

As far as I understand it for the GUI a gpu is a gpu, regardless of whether it’s integrated (in an APU) or dedicated (in card). In other words they should provide a certain performance for the GUI based on the specs and should provide certain outputs. I don’t know of any decent DAW that currently uses graphic processors for any type of audio processing.

The one thing to remember though is that because both CPUs and APUs for consumers use the same socket it means they’re the same size, and because the gpu now takes up some of the space in an APU we should expect to see fewer CPU cores in APUs, i.e. less actual audio performance - all else being equal. On top of that the AMD APUs seem to have been targeted towards more of a value-segment of the market and seem to have been coming out on the market quite a bit later.

So I would probably steer clear of APUs for a powerful DAW at least… Although it surely depends on how we define “powerful” and what type of work we’re going to do :slight_smile: