Trying to Import Key Commands?

I tried to use a Profile file to move key commands and preferences/ and was unsuccessful/
This has never worked for me since version 5 / Every time i upgrade i have to re enter all my key commands and preferences/
TRIED .KEY FILES/ XML FILES/ ETC…
Now you’re telling me i have to copy the preset file from 9.5 to 10 ? Isn’t that what software upgrades are supposed to do for you? :smiley:

PS/ another issue/ i used to be able to edit an audio track in a window that would back up to before the waveform i was editing if i clicked on the top bar / now i am constrained to use the tiny slider at the bottom of the track window every time/ I tried typing F for stationary cursor mode/ but this nice feature has been gone for the last few releases/ anyone else have this issue? Thanks all / I’ve used cubase since the late 80’s and am now having trouble keeping up!

Profiles are new- did not exist in Cubase 5. I use that feature and find that it works consistently.

i realize profiles didn’t exist in 5, but i could save (and successfully recall) a .key file in cubase 5.

Yes, from Cubase VST or SX 1, the last to export .key files, iirc.

Save a preset in 9.5, then fish it out of the presets folder, and copy or move it to the C10 Key Commands Preset folder. Doing this once a year doesn’t seem too laborious.

Or delete the Cubase 10 prefs folder and then run Cubase 10, when it initializes, it will bring over your prefs assuming the files are accessible to the installer.

thanks/ i’ll try that! :smiley:

Why isn’t there a worthwhile preset browser BOTH for exporting and importing presets.
Seems somewhat amateurish and ill thought through.
Just saying.

There’s one in the Key Commands Dialog.

If you save a preset of your Key Commands, the drop down menu will be populated with it, and you can switch between them. Also, the preset folder normally will be copied over to a new installation.

The way to “import” key commands now is to save a Profile, and import it using the Profile Manager

(Actually presets are not something that one imports or exports. )

Of course it is.
In Logic Pro X it’s super easy to both save and load key command presets. Apple understands the importance.

I work with Cubase in several different studios. Every studio usually use their own key commands so it’s a real workflow enhancer to be able to bring your own key command preset, however, not an entire profile.

So, why is loading a profile not a good option?

Loading a new profile changes a lot of things including:

• Input and output settings (buses)
  • Plugin collections

If you’re on a single computer - that might make sense, but if you are on totally different systems and bring a profile from another computer with a different soundcard setup and different plugins, in my experience, this will only mess things up.

1 Like

%AppData% :slight_smile:

I have the same problem for importing my keycommands (Cc backup). I cannot import them (grayed out) So I tried to copy Library/preferences/Cubase10/Keycommands from backup to main disk. But that didn’t workout either …

I really need my old keycommands, because I programmed a big bunch of them to my likings for Cubase handling.

I really do think Steinberg should prioritize this need for our pro users…

For Mac users who still can’t import keycommands-

I just discovered a fix:
There are two folder paths /Library/Preferences/Cubase10/Keycommands and Users/Library/Preferences/Cubase10/Keycommands. You need to use the last given folder. This folder is hidden, so you need to unhide it (SHIFT+CMD+.) then you can enter this folder. Copy your backups to this path and you see your keycommands appear in your list!

It’s crazy that in 2019 you still can’t easily load and save Key Command presets arbitrarily in Cubase. :unamused:

I was baffled by how convoluted it is to import key commands into this new version.
What’s the point of saving key commands if when you try to import that very same file it says “this is not a key command file”!?!?!
…maybe…address this in the next update Steinberg??

please read the thread.

I understand how to do it, I’m just baffled by the complexity of it.

Yeah, it’s weird, and I don’t know why they’ve retained that old and confusing choice in the dialog box.

There is an alternative- using Profiles.

I agree, seems very strange to me, I go into this folder rather frequently between several different computers and have macros to push this stuff out. I wish that they would make this easier to export to a location and import into another location.

Another thing that I think every DAW should do but Steinberg before everyone else is having an icon in the project toolbar that when clicked and lit does Cubase Default key commands and when not lit does whatever user profile you have loaded in. That way you could jump in on any computer and quickly get back to the default with the click of a button (always the benefit that Pro Tools has).

In Cubase 10.5 my old key commands are crashing Cubase 10.5, not sure what key command is causing the issue but Cubase crashes and is missing many commands from the Logic Editor. I have attached the Key Commands that are causing the crash for me. The sad thing is I have made several other key commands first before I noticed all my Logical Editor commands are missing from my Macros even though they are in my Logical Editor.
2019-11-26.xml.zip (40.4 KB)

As far as the crashing due to a corrupt KC xml, try this-

Save a preset in the older version, then move the resultant file to the presets / key commands folder of the newer version and load it via the presets dropdown.

I’m not positive, but it appears that the KCs get cleaned up this way- worth a look maybe…

edit-- As far as the Logical editor shortcuts- I was just working in 10.5 in a project I created in 10.0 that uses a lot of PLE and LE shortcuts combined with macros, and all is working, which make think your prob would be consistent with a corrupt xml file. So maybe my above suggestion will help with that.

It is utter stupidity that you can’t simply export and import presets like in other daws. :unamused:
Honestly, Cubase needs a refresh in many of the nooks and crannies of the old code.

I agree with you on how frustrating it is. I am thankful to Steinberg about how many things you can modify and export and access like key commands and other preferences that they have broken out. I have depended on that with symbolic links and dropbox for a lot of my workflow which is not possible to the extent it is in Cubase in Pro Tools.

This, of course, does not excuse the need for figuring things out like exporting preferences. Hopefully, they can figure a way to keep it working with a single preference file in Cubase and Nuendo and they just disregard things they don’t have like they have done with their key commands for years.