Performance Test C 10.0.20 vs Logic Pro 10.4.5 vs Studio One 4.5

I think C 10 has worse performance than before.

Exact same buffer settings of 512.

Exact same arrangement. One Groove Agent 5 track and all other audio tracks with an instance of Scheps Omni Channel on each.

Results:

Cubase C 10.0.20: Best was maximum 37 tracks with clicks and pops. Tried all different settings.

Studio One 4.5: Best was 57 tracks.

Logic Pro 10.4.5: Best was 61 tracks. Performed perfectly until it hit overload and stopped.

My performance tests don’t show a difference.

It’s possible you’ve found a difference, but the more likely explanation is you’ve got some settings different in your tests. Those DAWs have performance-related preferences that can affect a test like this.

Wow, that’s really quite shocking, as there’s 4 threads in Logic is that the i5-2400 CPU?

I’ve heard it said that Macs perform worse on older generation CPUs, but i presumed that was in relation to the older Intel Xeons. It would be interesting if anyone could something similar on a 7/8th generation intel Mac

While keeping the buffer setting at 512 I tried all different combination of options in the settings panel and that was the best Cubase could produce.

Here’s my specs
Screen Shot 2019-06-20 at 3.00.16 AM.png
Much better milage for me in the other two DAWs.

I understand, but that’s different than saying you used the same conditions in all 3 tests. These days, with hybrid buffers and asio guard, setting your buffer size to 512 does not mean you are using a buffer size of 512 :slight_smile:. Try my test and see if you observe a difference.

If that’s the best Cubase can do on my hardware… and the other DAWs have optimizations and settings that are working better then perhaps Cubase could improve in that department.

That’s my point.

Me doing your test just Compares my Hardware to your Hardware and that’s irrelevant.

I’m saying perform my test and see if you observe a difference between DAWs.

To original poster, your test just shows an issue with disk throughput.
Are you just using internal imac drive?
Where is your project stored?
Have you tried backing up the project/archiving the audio(audio pool) etc?

I don’t know how you tested, but on my system Cubase performance is so much better than both logic’s and studio one’s. and I am on OSX Mojave and mbpr 2016

For example, Cubase can handle 4 instance of Roland’s System-8 playing 2 voice super saws at the same time while logic 10.4.5 can handle only 1 instance and studio one only 3 of them.

I don’t even say about number of plugins that can be loaded in both daws. cubase just doesn’t leave a chance to all other daws. even reaper is way behind it. and I’m telling you, I was a big cubase skeptic for a long time.

your screenshot clearly shows disk overload. so performance wise it’s not cubase’s issue. you should better check your hardware issues before posting posts like this.

Isn’t the Roland Cloud stuff plagued with CPU issues on the Audio Unit versions? I subscribed when it was first released and the CPU performance was terrible for AU at the time.

Anytime you see somebody report a difference in performance between Cubase and Logic, something like this is the more likely explanation than some deficiency in one of the DAWs. The other likely explanation is that conditions for the tests were not equal and apples were being compared to oranges. That seems to be the case for the results reported in this thread.

Most of the time it is guys using the internal drives for everything

With Macs a lot depends on thermals too, if you go from one DAW to the other and you’re pushing the CPU then the earlier tests may come out stronger than the later ones due to throttling. Particularly on Macs with discrete cards and higher clock/temp CPUs. That’s why a benchmark test really needs to be ran for a reasonable duration at high load.

Yes you are correct. It looks like a hard disk reading issue?

All 3 daws in the comparison were reading from the internal iMac disk. No external disks were involved in any way.

So why would Cubase have issues reading my internal HD when the other DAWS do not?

I see you did you test on Logic Pro X 10.4.4.
Any chance you could run your test on Logic Pro X 10.4.5 to see if it’s the new version that provides better performance?

Better performance than what? Anyway, I get the same result with 10.4.5. I’ve gotten the same result with various versions of LPX going back quite a ways. This is just further evidence that the DAW has very little influence on the performance of plugins. Why anyone would think it does is a mystery to me.

You seem to be obsessed that the only thing affecting a DAWs performance is plug ins. We already identified in this thread that it’s the disk read over loads that are showing the issue in C10 on my system. Look at the performance meters in Studio One and Logic which have no issues compared to the performance meter of Cubase 10s.

The point once again is that C 10s performance ( including disk performance ) is not as efficient as the other 2 DAWs when considering optimizing all possible settings in each DAW.

Hi All

I can’t help but wonder why people spend so much time playing around with things like this instead of making music.

Best Regards, Dave

BTW. Performance meters are highly unreliable, you can’t compare performance using those.
Fill up with plugins until I starts to crackle, then back off until the audio is stable.
Make sure no track is armed for recording,