Would like to hear from those Cubase users who have switched from Mac to Windows.

I totally agree.

Almost all issues I’ve had on both platforms have been due to incompatible software (user error) or failing hardware.

I will say this however, and I know I’ll maybe get some critics objecting to this: I have found that particular combinations on OSX and Macs are far more sensitive to upgrades than something “equal” on Windows. Upgrading OSX seems to me to have bigger effects on Pro Tools installations for example, and Mac computers are more frequently losing support for those OS upgrades.

So from what I’ve seen it’s been far more costly upgrading OSX because with it comes possible computer upgrades and thus Pro Tools upgrades (if you’re running TDM / HDX etc). And I’ve also seen people struggle with simple OSX updates that made Quicktime playback not work in Logic etc, which was a problem for some in music for post.

I’ve seen less of that on Cubase/Nuendo + Windows 7/8/10.

But yeah, generally a nicely thoughtfully set up clean machine does the job equally well on both and problems are typically user or hardware errors.

In my view Apple stands for less true innovation and more “forced” evolution of standards. Thunderbolt is a good example. Apple ditched SCSI, it ditched IDE, ditched USB1, FW400, FW800, PCIe, USB2 etc… Adding Thunderbolt “forced” the consumer’s hand, but it was developed by Intel and licensed by Apple. And users paid a premium for this “forced obsolescence”.

To me Apple products have always been priced higher than they “should” have been if we exclude the experience of the OS/GUI, Apple-specific services, and the visual design of the devices. Sounds like a lot to exclude perhaps, but if you’re a professional most of the time is spent in the DAW which looks pretty much the same on either OS, you won’t use many of those services probably, and we frequently shove that pretty computer under a desk or in a machine room. So what’s left is just a bunch of components we paid extra for…

… in my “humble” opinion…