CPU Recommendations

That’s a nice chunk of money. You’ll get a great build for that.

What are you going to use it for more specifically? (i.e. recording or VSTi or audio post… game audio etc?)

So apparently UA used some hardware that only allowed for shorter address spaces or something like that, and it was all fine for years until motherboard manufacturers started I guess expanding the range of addresses that peripherals can get. So the Solo, Duo and Quads all had these problems with some motherboards. The Octacore as far as I know never had these problems.

Eventually some motherboard vendors found workarounds for this and it solved the problem, but it’s still a bit ‘finicky’.

So in my case for example I used to run an AMD Phenom CPU with my Quad, and once I upgraded to the first generation Ryzen the Quad stopped working. But then ASUS found a workaround for it and after a bios upgrade I now have my Quad back working.

This was by the way not an exclusive AMD issue but also affected some Intel motherboards so Intel users have also been burned. Today I think the best thing you can do is make double-sure that the motherboard you’re going to buy will detect and use your Quad. This is NOT just a matter of finding a compatible slot, it goes deeper than that. And even in cases where these cards work for some people the boards are a bit picky about which slot you place the cards in (that’s what I meant by ‘finicky’).

Anyway, I wouldn’t say that this disqualifies AMD since ASUS got it working on AM4 x370 boards (two confirmed cases on my board which is a Prime x370-A, and a few others) and you should instead just be careful when choosing.