CPU Recommendations

I referred to it as throttling in my OP as that is what it’s called in intel extreme utility. I specifically specified it as “current” throttling to highlight that I indeed wasn’t referring to what normal people call throttling. I did this deliberately and repeated it to avoid that conception being made.

My point is, what’s the point in upgrading to a new CPU, on an old motherboard, which will have sub par VRMs, therefore won’t be able to maintain a stable TURBO for duration*. Meaning backwards compatibility “(wink intel)” wasn’t really an issue, even though current gen is. Even if they were further back compatible, it would be a very bad idea, in a waste of money sense. If you were on a budget and had a rubbish chip, buying the top end 2nd hand chip from that generation would be a better idea. If you can afford a new top end chip, you can afford a new MB too. If you already have a top end MB that would run a new chip well, you’d already have the top end chip, just older, it’s be more of a side step, than huge leap, wait a few more years.

*Lets not forget… In audio when our project is maxing out, it pretty much maxes out for duration, it’s not something it can throttle back or just take longer to compute.

You’ve quoted me “Loads of Videos” in reference to rated performance not being achieved. That’s an incorrect quote, my “loads of videos” is in reference to videos debating, comparing VRMs. There’s also some that go on about the advantage of the heatsink placements… How some that appear to be good aren’t, due to the heat build up on the back of the board.

You not knowing about this, someone knowledgeable about PC’s, is proving my other point, up until now it’s been mostly over looked by consumers. This is why I chimed in on the subject. Lots of us are wasting big money on fancy CPU coolers when it’s the VRM’s that are failing us. The more people care about this the more the mid tier lower tier board will start to see it improve. For us needing that constant turbo, I’d say it’s very important, we need solid stable and accurate power. If we don’t care about it, newer boards could get worse (in that department) as they come up with cost saving ideas. That’s just business.

Correction: I didn’t use the word throttling in my OP.

Here’s some videos i remember watching. Not sure which is which or has what. I was looking into z390 boards around Christmas time.

That linus, what ever his name is has a few too. Not sure which is the 1 where a guy test the cool down, with the heat sinks and compares the effectiveness. I’ve already spent too long typing my reply to spend even more time hunting the specific ones.

it is a thing though. I’m not making it up.

Edit: to merge posts.