Rename Plug-ins

Maybe ask NI?

+1

So… maybe for Cubase 11, please?

Yeah, we really need this, plugin developers don’t really seem to shorten their plugin names, and the longer they are the more gets cut away from the name…
And having aliases you could use letter/number codes to make the plugin selection even faster when choosing plugins from the list.

With regards to plugins changing their names and not being recognised, I only found out recently that Logic has this covered - It will always use the latest copy of Kontakt for example!

So open an old session that originally used Kontakt 2 that’s now long gone from your system, and it will correctly open it up in Kontakt 6!

This has always driven me nuts when opening old Cubase sessions. Its a bit embarrassing that the original developer of VSTi’s can’t even get this working…

Did not know this was possible? but then I guess the plugin parameters must not change over different plugin versions… but thats something plugin developer need to check as well.

+1

+1

+1 for renaming plugins as aka,
and
+1 for renming plugins in the inset slot for specific purposes

+1

+1

+1

+1

+1

+1

+1
Post must be at least 15 char

I guess I’ll +1 too :smiley:

+1
Also, being able to change the category of a plugin would be very welcome (a lot of them come only with the attribute “fx” without mentioning whether it’s an EQ, a compressor, or whatever)

Actually, Cubase recognizes VST2 and VST3 as different plugins, because they use a different plugin ID. I choose to hide one instance in the Plugin Manager (as suggested earlier), because of the different plugin ID you won`t be able to load a preset made in the VST2 into VST and vice versa.

By the way,

you can rename plugins you are using in your proyect with double-click in the VST Instrument Window (F11 or Right Zone). That way the custom name will appear in the first line, and the used plugin in the second.
I realize, this is not what many people mean here by “Renaming plugins”, but at least we have this before mentioned functionality inside a proyect.

All the best.