N10 - Frequent eLicensor Control errors

Post general topics related to Nuendo 10 here.
jpgtr

Re: N10 - Frequent eLicensor Control errors

Post by jpgtr »

I can confirm my copy of N10.1 is running stable after reverting/installing the 32 bit version David linked to above. (Thanks, David!)

Again, no error messages for this week since downgrading to the 32 bit e-licensor app. Nuendo is so much nicer to work with now!
2012 Mac Pro 10.13.6, 24 GB RAM, Nuendo 10.1 UAD-2 Duo

b0ernie

Post by b0ernie »

... still unreliable! And for sure I´m not the only one clicking and changing the eLicensers around!

ffg

Post by ffg »

b0ernie wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:26 pm
... still unreliable! And for sure I´m not the only one clicking and changing the eLicensers around!
Did you try this version of the E-Licenser Control app?

You may already have this version of the e-licenser app, but this is the one which fixed it for me. Note that it's NOT the same as the latest version of the app which the e-licenser website points to.

Thank you for contacting Steinberg Technical Support.

Please de-install the current eLC and re-install the latest 32 bit version from

https://download.steinberg.net/static_c ... ontrol.dmg
best wishes

David

I'm going to to let the situation mature...

Nuendo 10.3
Cubase 10.5
MacPro 3.3 6-core OSX 10.12
Macbook Pro OSX 10.14
RME Fireface 802
RME Fireface 800
Audient ID14

ltf3

Post by ltf3 »

Me too.

Installed N10 Demo on a completely fresh OS 10.13.6 install and I keep getting "USB Licenser error change ports". I have always run the licenser on a powered USB 3 hub no problems. On this install it is flakey on a USB Hub and a USB Port on a thunderbolt dock. Getting it directly into a computer port is hard due to other gear... but it did seem to stabilize things.

I actually have two licensers. One with just Nuendo and another with Instruments, plug ins, a older Cubase version, and so on. At one point the error message asked me to do maintenance on the dongle. So i did ( using the version of eLicencer installed with N10 demo ). It did the maintainer cycle on both dongles then told me the second dongle with all my instruments was "Broken". Thats what it said in the Dongle column too. "Broken"! This persisted for a few restarts and dongle re-insertions but eventually it came back fine. I don't think the dongle is Broken... it would be a mighty coincidence if it chose this exact time to begin to fail.

somethings up...
Lee

Cubase 8.5, Nuendo 10, Cubasis ( gotta luv it ), Arturia Audio Fuse, OS 10.13.6, IMac Quad Core 3.2 GHz i7, 32GB RAM, Radeon Graphics 4GB

jpgtr

Post by jpgtr »

New one today. This error popped up during a session and I ended up having to force-quit Nuendo. :evil:

Booting N10.1 has been pretty smooth since reverting back to the 32-bit eLicensor, but clearly SB has a major problem on their hands with Nuendo and the eLicensor. Hope they're making fixing eLicensor issues a #1, urgent, top priority!

Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 11.46.37 AM.png
(49.34 KiB) Not downloaded yet

ltf3

Post by ltf3 »

Yup... I got this one today.

"e Licenser Control error
Application Nuendo has caused the following error
Failed to send Getinfo command"

( how do I get screen shots to upload when I submit... ?)

Then it goes into a sequence or errors about changing USB ports while Nuendo seems to keep trying to launch in the background. Once it even succeeded! Other times I have to reboot.
Moving the key seems to work for a bit ... but them it fails again and I move it back to where it once failed before and its fine.

Using a good Anker USM 3 power hub, and an OWC Thunderbolt Hub for extra ports on a 27" iMac. Never had a dongle issue before N10. Just saying.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 6.24.41 PM.png
(22.79 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Lee

Cubase 8.5, Nuendo 10, Cubasis ( gotta luv it ), Arturia Audio Fuse, OS 10.13.6, IMac Quad Core 3.2 GHz i7, 32GB RAM, Radeon Graphics 4GB

jpgtr

Post by jpgtr »

This morning I received a "Connection to protection device lost." error message. sigh... I will try bypassing the USB hub and plugging the dongle directly into a computer USB port for a bit.

This Nuendo dongle calamity is seriously tarnishing my opinion of Steinberg software. Have tried all suggested solutions from repairing, updating & reinstalling eLicensor, to reverting back to the 32 bit version. I seriously can't recall having to spend so much time trouble-shooting software!

JayRoseCAS

Post by JayRoseCAS »

Same "failed to send getinfo" error ever since I put in 10.1. Moved to 10.2 and updated and then resynchronized the eLicenser software didn't help.

Nuendo seems to launch after this one error -- which is better than the multiple errors and abort I was getting with 10.0 -- and I haven't noticed any functionality missing. Yet.

Mac 10.13.6 on a 3.2GHz Quad cheese grater.
Lots of useful stuff......and info on my studio...
at http://www.jayrose.com. Or check my book, now used at most US film schools, at GreatSound.info.
(Nuendo setup: 10+..., Mac 10.13+ on 3.2GHzQuad 8GB, MOTU 2408, Blackmagic Intensity, TC Powercore updated to current OS, MCP plus expander, Steinberg mini control panels, lots of plugins, SoundMiner.)

ErikG

Post by ErikG »

Since I did my trickery I posted about earlier in the thread I have never had a single elicenser issue. And we have twelve systems here.
What the solution was? I don't know for sure but it was cheap, easy to do, and my issues went away. Not sure if it is the same for the rest of you though.

My personal theory is that the new versions put higher demands of fast response from the license key and a old dongle paired with inadequate USB connections just isn't fast enough.
I might be totally wrong though.

I Replaced my old long dongle with a brand new short one and replaced my old USB hub and extenders and I decided to put the license key directly on the machine.

If you have issues and you haven't done this I suggest you do, AND report back if successful or not so we get more than a few anecdotal it works or it doesn't.
Filmlance, a Swedish production company producing drama and feature films.
11xNuendo, 5xPT
Dubstage with 4k Christie projection
8xMedia Composer, VFX, online, grading and more

ffg

Post by ffg »

ErikG wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:11 am
As mentioned in the n8 thread.
Try phydicslltcreplscing elicenser or USB hibs/extenders.
I had a bunch of errors and after replacing it no more issues.
Is this the fix you're talking about Erik?

'Fraid I don't understand it...

When I was deep into these problems a few months ago I did replace my very elderly dongles (early 2000's) and although it helped, it made the boot/reboot/launch cycle considerably faster, it certainly DIDN'T fix the errors. However, installing and using the 32 bit app has worked and I've had maybe one or two errors only since then (instead of multiple errors every day).

BTW the problem is by no means limited to N10. I had it with N8 and Cubase 10, and lots of the E-Licenser protected plugins.

Not sure what I'll do when OSX goes fully 64 bit, but I'm usually slow to upgrade the OS and hopefully Steinberg will have the issue sorted well before that.
best wishes

David

Nuendo 10.3
Cubase 10.5
Macbook Pro OSX 10.14
RME Fireface 802
RME Fireface 800
Audient ID14

ErikG

Post by ErikG »

Sorry about the old post weirdness. I must have been drunk or written without proofreading (a bad habit I'm afraid).

I rarely reboot or crash using Nuendo. I did have severe elicense issues, after replacing all USB hubs, cabling and dongle I have had zero issues. Either I was lucky or there's some weird voodoo around
11xNuendo, 5xPT

JayRoseCAS

Post by JayRoseCAS »

Just saw something interesting.
I'd been running N10 happily all morning, and broke for lunch. Quit N10.2, put the Mac to sleep...

Came back, gave Mac time to wake up, everything looked stable, and launched N10.
LOTS of license errors. More than just the usual failure to GetInfo; in this case many more warning dialogs. Force-Quit N.
Opened eLicenser and watched it settle down. Didn't bother re-syncing.
Tried to launch N10 again while eLicenser window was open...
While N10 is doing its startup, there are frequent calls back to eLicenser. Each time, eLicenser has to blank its window, check my licenses again, and respond. The poor license software is going crazy, instead of saying just once "he's legit".

This time -- with licenser window open -- everything launched without a problem.

Hypothesis: if eLicenser isn't open for each call, it has to restart. Depending on your system, that might take too long and generate an error.
So to test and gather more data, I'm going to leave the eLicenser open each time I try to start. See if helps...

ffg

Post by ffg »

Yes, I noticed the multiple calls on the e-licenser and I think this is normal. If the app is open you can see the calls going through. However I didn't find it made any difference to the actual errors occurring, if the app was open or not.

These seem to help:

Having a newish dongle
Mount the dongle on one of the computer's USB busses, not a hub

However I did all these and still got errors, the only thing that fixed it for me was the 32 bit E-licenser app.
best wishes

David

Nuendo 10.3
Cubase 10.5
Macbook Pro OSX 10.14
RME Fireface 802
RME Fireface 800
Audient ID14

jpgtr

Post by jpgtr »

Update:

Have had smooth sailing lately (knock on wood) since downgrading to the 32-bit elicensor AND plugging directly into a computer USB port (vs. the hub I previously used problem-free with Cubase for years).

Update 9/13/19:

Spoke too soon. Will try the latest 64-bit version. sigh...

b0ernie

Post by b0ernie »

Hi Guys, its not nice to f... arround everytime with the eLicenser Control, it works for a while and than ... same procedure, uninstall, reinstall, plug direct, change the USB port ... all of the above I fully underline, and helps but its not reliable at all.
Happy eLicensing :()

chetd

Post by chetd »

Just upgraded to 10 from 8 and now getting elicenser error messages all over the place when trying to boot 10.

Finally got my nu8 licenser issues sorted a few months ago and now this. Good grief.
Updated elicenser, dongle is pretty new. ...anyone else experience this with initial 10 boot?

chetd

Post by chetd »

ffg wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:08 pm

These seem to help:

Having a newish dongle
Mount the dongle on one of the computer's USB busses, not a hub

However I did all these and still got errors, the only thing that fixed it for me was the 32 bit E-licenser app.
fwiw y'all, I was going to do just this (aa I did in nu8) but then tonight I was all of a sudden able to start opening projects in nu10 w/o licenser issues. Wacky.
I'll stick with the latest ver. for now and see how it goes. good times. ...-UPDATE- issue came again today... will try reinstall with the 32bit ver.

Oliver.Lucas

Post by Oliver.Lucas »

This still is not solved?

:roll:
Main machine: Fireface UFX+ 64GB, 2TB Hecacore macmini 10.14.x, egpu
Avid ProTools Ulitimate and S3. A gazillion plugings
https://aufnahme.myds.me

chetd

Post by chetd »

Oliver.Lucas wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:15 am
This still is not solved?

:roll:
It would great to hear from those with no issues in so far as what elicenser ver. is most stable for them, with their specific OS etc.

Since updating to nu10 on Sat, the first day was a giant mess with these error messages, then like magic, and later that night they stopped... no issues the last 48 hours except, for one case of one error message.

I'm in a wait and see mode. If they persist, I'll then try the older 32bit ver. mentioned. I'm now on the latest ver.

ErikG

Post by ErikG »

OS X 10.12.6 on 2013 trashcan
New short elicenser dongle about six months ago.
Not a single elicenser issue since.

Many other systems with old cheese graters (4,1&5,1). No issues reported since we replaced all aging old dongles.
11xNuendo, 5xPT

chetd

Post by chetd »

ErikG wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:45 pm
OS X 10.12.6 on 2013 trashcan
New short elicenser dongle about six months ago.
Not a single elicenser issue since.

Many other systems with old cheese graters (4,1&5,1). No issues reported since we replaced all aging old dongles.
If you could, please mention what ver. of elicenser you're using. I'm also on OSX 10.12.6, but a 5.1 Mac.

Still using the most current elicenser ver. & haven't had issues the last 5 days. Still wait & see here.

ErikG

Post by ErikG »

Sorry, I don’t keep track of what version. I update it whenever I it seems nevessary, mostly when I install an update.
11xNuendo, 5xPT

Getalife2

Post by Getalife2 »

This is long but it might be informative if you can get through it

Windows 7 user here (no longer officially supported you might note) with ancient dongles (I'm talking at least 15 years old maybe closer to 20). 2 elicensers connected along with 2 old iloks ( one so old it's Smurf blue and shaped like an actual key, the other an iiLok 2).

Roughly one dozen USB 2 and USB 3 devices plugged in with only one of them being plugged directly into the computer (all others including all 4 dongles on 2 powered hubs). Computer is a 2015 era 8 core Intel i7 that I built myself. The system has a Faderport, Artist Mix and a 27-inch Dell touch screen for DTouch connected via HDMI and USB 3 along with a 65in 4k monitor.

The system has an AMD video card, 3 UAD2 Quads and a PCIe to PCI adapter card that's attached to an RME MADI DSP PCI.plus an ancient 13 space Magma chassis running 8 full-length double-stacked custom DSP PCI cards. Yes there are 14 PCI and PCIe cards in total. Before you ask, no I'm not making any of this up. This is a single computer that is extremely stable.

The computer, IO and other peripherals are all in an equipment room on the other side of my Control Room wall so none of the USB runs are short.

Why did I list all of the above? Because I have zero elicenser problems. None.

But even though I don't have problems, this thread still aggravates the crap out of me on behalf of you guys having such crazy issues. I'm reading this thing and it sounds insane. No way you should drop $1,000 + on your application and have copy protection make it work like an early development Alpha build that will barely even boot, which I have seen in my time.

My point? It's not a hardware issue. Can't be. Think of the insanity going on in my system, and still Mr. CPU and Mrs Elicenser software and ancient Uncle Dongle all manage to get along and work things out. I have a lot of PC building tricks up my sleeve to get all this to work right but even so, my interrupt latencies are worse than 95% of what you guys are dealing with for sure.

There are just too many people having problems with very different systems to put this on the end user's Hardware. If my insane system has no copy protection problems are you telling me a "normal" system can't hack it on the USB timing? No chance that's the problem.

Steinberg needs to own this as their issue and make it work in the real world for their customers. This being said by guy who has no problem on my system. If it will work on my Frankenstein it should work on anybody's system and Steinberg needs to make that happen. It's nothing you guys have or have not done wrong. It's Steinberg's issue and this should just work.
N10.3 - i7 5960X/32 GB at 4 GHz Win 7 Pro 64bit - 2x RME MADI - 3X UAD-2 Quad

chednb

Post by chednb »

Hi!
Also no problems here, never experienced this issue (thankfully!).
I'm running Win10 Pro 64bit, Nuendo 10.2.10 and eLC version 6.11.9.2259
My eLC dongle is ancient, I use it since I bought Cubase 5 EDU (10, 11 or 12 years ago???)
It is plugged in directly to my PC, not via an USB hub...

But it is terrifying that such a massive issue ins't resolved in this long period it already exists!
Hopefully Steinberg will fix it soon

cheers
Win10 Enterprise 1909 | Nuendo 10.2.10 | Ryzen 9 3950X | Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3200 | ASUS Pro WS X570-ACE | NH-D15 SE-AM4 | Seasonic Focus RX-750 | 1x 512GB Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2, 1x 1TB Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2, 2x 2TB Intel 660p NVMe M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 860 Evo | NVidia Geforce GTX Titan | RME Fireface UFX+ | Avid S1 | Komplete Kontrol M32

chetd

Post by chetd »

To follow up on these issues, I uninstalled the latest ver. and went back to the 32 bit ver. The error messages then stopped but now have a new issue ensued. That is...

It's been address in another thread about "se kits / laser beams" error messages and the fix for it.
Problem is, the fix involves using the latest ver. of elicenser which is now NOT an option for me. :oops:
I could uninstall those items I guess but, yeah.
Yeay.

Steinberg, anyone? I must not be alone with this whole stuck on the 32bit elicenser ver. thing to have mostly stable system, am I ??
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 2.52.45 PM.png
(69.5 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Return to “General”