10.0.40 Update

IMO, that’s so refreshing to read. One could argue that ‘mistakes’ in a musical performance give it an essence of musical perfection. I’d love to hear a Pavarotti recording put through VariAudio and/or Melodyne. I dare say that ‘mistakes’ would be found. I suspect that the ‘perfect’ audio from that processing would take away something from the performance, not add to it.

It’s a balance, a judgement call, about how much correction to a performance is required. Opinions differ. FWIW, my view is that less is more when it comes to performance audio correction.

Totally… so many people chop and edit their performances to clinical perfection… then they think that some analogue processing on top will provide it some character.

But what so many people miss is that all the great records came complete with humane elements intact, listen to the guitar solo during the outro of Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing… That would be butchered and sanitised to hell with comping and quantize methods today.

What a ridiculous statement. I’ve had Melodyne since it’s inception and even after ARA I still prefer Variaudio for vocal pitch correction. Sure, I use Melodyne for timing, polyphonic pitch correction etc. but Variaudio’s integration (and sound) are great for me.

Disagree. I find it easier and quicker to get good results on vocals than melodyne.

My wake up was listening to the Stones Waiting On A Friend with ‘engineer ears.’ Jagger’s back up vox are so out of tune and time, and yet the song is perfect for what it is.

I suppose it depends on the genre of music, but I find myself backing variaudio off a lot if I use it at all. It can totally deaden a performance. I cannot stand autotuned vocals if I can hear it.

I agree 100%. I came back to Cubase after a long period of time working on other Daws and tuning hundreds of vocal tracks with Melodyne (ARA or non ARA). I find to like and prefer VARIAUDIO more.

By the way… why 10.0.40 Update thread hasn’t still moved to the Announcements section?

Is 0.40 the last update for 10?

Suprised to see the revamped export window but not too sure about the fact you cant have multiple tabs open

Import to pool, audio after export
Realtime export

You’d imagine so, The paid 10.5 update is expected in 2-3 months time.

No, there will likely be at least one more update. That last update use to be quite a time after the release of the next major version. 9.5.50 was out in February 2019 - that’s 3 month after the release of 10.0. And it’s possible there may be an update before 10.5 as well. So, at least one, maybe two more updates. This is not the last one anyhow.

Ah ok, i stand corrected then, apologies.

Ridiculous statement? That’s a bit silly, rude and 100% wrong. VariAudio 3 doesn’t and cant’t possibly compare with Melodyne Editor or Studio. Aside from the quality and lack of artefacts, there is polyphonic editing. VariAudio 3 doesn’t have polyphonic audio editing, so how could it compare? You seriously can’t be that witless surely? It’s like comparing apples and oranges, that’s why I said you couldn’t compare, unless of course I’ve missed something and VariAudio now offers polyphonic editing?

Variaudio sounds better imho, less artifacts compared to Melodyne.
Melodyne can do so much more, none of which I personally use, but others might be dependent on.
Anyhow ARA2 is here, but expecting the integration to be on par with Studio One is not realistic.

Sounds like we need a pitch correction shoot out. Who wants to post their out of tune singing and do a variaudio vs melodyne pass on that so we can compare results?

I tried last night using a vocal take in Studio One & Melodyne vs Cubase 10 Pro & Variaudio 3 to check i wasn’t going mad. But it truly is quite a difference, variaudio far more natural/transparent…

That said, i’m probably not a good example as i rarely use Melodyne and only on own the lower tier version. Dare i say in the right hands it IS better? I would really like to hear someone experienced in both do a shoot out too.

I used to be a Melodyne Beta tester and have spent a lot of time comparing the Melodyne Studio 4 algorithm against Variaudio 3 and my conclusion is this. Using monophonic files (single instruments/voices, etc) Melodyne does a far better job at timestretching but Variaudio is much better at pitchshifting!

Please test it for yourself and am sure you’ll agree?

Kind regards

James Colah

Thanks for this. I have always hesitated to learning Variaudio in Cubase as most of my tracks are polyphonic, but this gives me some encouragement to look at Variaudio for my monophonic vocals. Thanks!:+1::+1:

That’s interesting, i don’t do any kind of audio time stretching or quantizing so that’s why Variaudio stands out more for me.

Any idea why/how Variaudio has become better at pitch shifting when Celemony are considered the ‘go to’ in that market? I just presumed that Celemony would be ahead of the pack, like many i expect?

Has anyone noticed that melodyne now opens supper slow when activating ARA or opening the plugging? It happens on both Nuendo 10 and Cubase 10 since last update. I am also using the latest version of Melodyne. Also, after using melodyne ARA Nuendo crashes when closing the project. I suspect that this update was not ready for prime time and that’s why it’s not in the announcement section of the forum.