Discontinuation of Sequel 3 for macOS

Discuss all Sequel related topics.
Ed Doll
Site Admin

Discontinuation of Sequel 3 for macOS

Post by Ed Doll » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:48 am

Dear customers,
Apple began transitioning to 64-bit hardware and software technology for Mac over a decade ago, and all modern Macs now include powerful 64-bit processors that can run advanced 64-bit apps. Apple's transition to 64-bit technology is now complete. Starting with macOS Catalina, 32-bit apps are no longer compatible with macOS.
Sequel 3 for macOS is a 32-bit app that is not compatible with macOS Catalina or later, so the product is being discontinued effective immediately. If you wish to continue using this software/app, please continue to do so on macOS Mojave or earlier.
Ed Doll, Support Manager
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany

Connect with Steinberg on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram and SoundCloud!

james stimson

Re: Discontinuation of Sequel 3 for macOS

Post by james stimson » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:57 pm

Dear Steinberg
So very sad to hear. A big mistake on your part I am sure but not terribly unexpected. You clearly do not know a good thing when you make it. Sequel has hands down the best workflow of any DAW on the market. If it did not do well for you in sales, it was because you crippled it so much from the start that few would even bother with it. And then never fixed issues that caused instability.
I cannot even imagine what your thinking?

james stimson

Post by james stimson » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:45 am

.... I got ranting and forgot one big question above. To be honest it was not clear at all from the posting... WILL SEQUEL 3 For WINDOWS still be available? Or is Sequel 3 discontinued all together?
Please respond.
Thanks.

ShikiSuen

Post by ShikiSuen » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:10 pm

Ed Doll wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:48 am
Dear customers,
Apple began transitioning to 64-bit hardware and software technology for Mac over a decade ago, and all modern Macs now include powerful 64-bit processors that can run advanced 64-bit apps. Apple's transition to 64-bit technology is now complete. Starting with macOS Catalina, 32-bit apps are no longer compatible with macOS.
Sequel 3 for macOS is a 32-bit app that is not compatible with macOS Catalina or later, so the product is being discontinued effective immediately. If you wish to continue using this software/app, please continue to do so on macOS Mojave or earlier.
What about providing paid crossgrade from Sequel 3 to Cubase LE / AI / Elements? This can help you end the entire Sequel product line.

Update: Looks like it is already there: https://www.steinberg.net/en/shop/buy_p ... ts-10.html
Last edited by ShikiSuen on Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
// My first name is Shiki. A trilingual Chinese living in Japan.
My nationality doesn't prove anything, but I do have issues with my English.

[DAC + Monitor] laptop built-in DAC & Native Instruments Komplete Audio 2, ATH-M70X;
[DAW + OS] PreSonus Studio One 4 & Steinberg Cubase Pro 10 on macOS 10.14 Mojave;
[Notation Tool] Steinberg Dorico Pro 3;
[Laptop] MacBook Pro 15-inch mid-2017 CTO, Core-i7 Kaby Lake (Quad-Core 2.8GHz), 16GB RAM.
[Desktop] Mac Pro Cylinder late-2013, Xeon E5-1650 (Hexacore 3.5GHz), 32GB RAM.

ShikiSuen

Post by ShikiSuen » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:12 pm

james stimson wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:45 am
.... I got ranting and forgot one big question above. To be honest it was not clear at all from the posting... WILL SEQUEL 3 For WINDOWS still be available? Or is Sequel 3 discontinued all together?
Please respond.
Thanks.
You don't have to be that sad.
If integrated with Apple's marzipan project, it may be possible to see Cubasis migrated to macOS.
Cubasis is a pretty good replacement of Sequel.

If that won't happen, you can also crossgrade to Cubase Elements / Pro / Artist as you wish.
// My first name is Shiki. A trilingual Chinese living in Japan.
My nationality doesn't prove anything, but I do have issues with my English.

[DAC + Monitor] laptop built-in DAC & Native Instruments Komplete Audio 2, ATH-M70X;
[DAW + OS] PreSonus Studio One 4 & Steinberg Cubase Pro 10 on macOS 10.14 Mojave;
[Notation Tool] Steinberg Dorico Pro 3;
[Laptop] MacBook Pro 15-inch mid-2017 CTO, Core-i7 Kaby Lake (Quad-Core 2.8GHz), 16GB RAM.
[Desktop] Mac Pro Cylinder late-2013, Xeon E5-1650 (Hexacore 3.5GHz), 32GB RAM.

james stimson

Post by james stimson » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:19 am

Hey,
thanks for the suggestions, I'm sure you mean well...
but Cubase and Cubasis are different products. I have owned Cubase Pro for years and it does not have the same workflow as Sequel and neither it or Cubasis with its endless layers of menus just to do basic functions could match Sequel’s workflow. Sequel was simple and fluid. True it did not have ALL the bells and whistles to suite every single production need, but while in “creative mode” I did not have to constantly wade through endless features that I never needed. It was just more direct. In a nutshell that was Sequel’s strength, not its weakness. As I mentioned before Steinberg clearly does not even know a good thing when they make it.
Add this to the painfully inept support I have dealt with for years…, And I will not be investing any more money in their products.
Sad to say, but true!

Ed Doll
Site Admin

Post by Ed Doll » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:00 am

james stimson wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:45 am
Please respond.
Thanks.
The plan is to offer Sequel 3 for free but unsupported soon. There won't be any updates for Windows either though.
Ed Doll, Support Manager
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany

Connect with Steinberg on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram and SoundCloud!

gayajay01

Post by gayajay01 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:19 am

I'm all about simplicity. Sequel was simple. I got the results that I wanted and much of this was due to its linear workflow. I have Cubase and can't stand it. In fact, I have nothing good to say about Cubase. If I'm have to contend with that level of complexity I'd much rather use garageband and/or Logic Pro. My loyalty was to the product, not the maker. Unless Steinberg intends on updating Sequel or creating a new software with the same features I've no need to continue investing money in their products.

Return to “Sequel”