Was Nuendo Ten Premature?

Hello!

I’m nervous!

I see nothing but complaints about what seem to be “un-drawn fouls”, to use a Basketball analogy.

What’s really happening? Is it worth it to make that move, or stick with N8 until the new year, when hopefully, things like the colours, transport control issues, things that were inexplicably removed, and the other un-necessary issues will be fixed?

It seems like the Nuendo team needs to learn about planning and execution from the Dorico team.

N10 is great!

Does it have shortcomings? Of course it does. Every version of every program I have ever used has…
Is it bug free? Nope, I have not really seen a bug free complex program as far as I can remember.
Are all the new features perfect and completed to the level all users would want them to be? No. Theres stuff left to do in several areas.
Is it really annoying with the change of the right click menu? Yes, but I can deal with it pretty ok even though it is a change I really find annoying.

Do I want to live without the built in advances of the Audio Alignment tool in N10? Hell no, while it is not yet perfect it is really good and have saved me many hours already.
Is the field recorder audio import window workflow the best possible? Perhaps not, but it sure can solve some really important jobs.
Is the video export as smart and flexible as I would like? No, but I have full confidence that it will get better. Until then I have third party tools that do the job pretty well.

Just my view on things.
All our machines run N10 all day, every workday.

It’s up to you to move to N10 or not to move :wink: As for me N10 is much better than N8.

Thanx for the responses!

The complaints are mainly in the post-pro department.

What about the music-making features; are those working well?

Are they indeed on par with Cubase?

The deal-breaker for me is the video-export functionality. If I have to go outside Nuendo, I might as well wait.

From a music making standpoint the current version of Nuendo equals Cubase and according to Steinberg it will remain that way with updates moving forward.

I actually came here right now to try to figure out how to add and change colours from the palette, is that function removed??
Got this last week, and…yeah…although it’s an absolutely great upgrade in many regards there are a few changes I don’t quite agree with…
Most of all I miss the Direct Offline Processing- and Spectrum Analyzer-selector when right-clicking, saved a lot of time and distraction, with the seemingly nerfed colour management as a close second. Suffice it to say, the heightened mid-range and the choked 200Hz-range was also something to find ways around, although there’s no denying the awesome level of detail this version can muster!

(I bolded text for emphasis)

You lost me there. Can you elaborate on what you mean?

It was a little disappointing to so far. One main reason is Nuendo and Cubase are still lacking Phase Coherent Multitrack Free Warping!
I was surprised to see where this came in the recent Cubase vote feature request by Matthias. It came in 13th! And I’m not even sure that this exact feature was the one being voted for. The Free warp part. It was beat out by export to video & St plugins for mono chnls. [scratching head] :confused:
PT has had this since 2008. Maybe CB and Nuendo users who didn’t vote for this amazing feature haven’t experienced multitrack elastic audio in PT and don’t know what your missing?

Yes. I am curious too; very curious. :confused:

(So much to learn). :slight_smile:

Happy with 10 so far, given the normal kinds of bugs that every big app has. It’s been very stable – I think I’ve had only one crash working on a feature film for countless hours of solid stability hammering the system with no problems (I had fortunately saved a few minutes before it crashed, so nothing problematic in this case), and I’m not sure about the crash culprit – probably a third party plugin misbehaving. Anyway, 10 has been excellent so far, but I am honestly looking forward to one more bugfix patch to solidify it even more and give me even greater confidence. But as for it being premature, I’d say NO… this has been a decent (if not very good) launch overall for Steinberg, and I just hope they continue on a solid path, and most importantly, stay in contact with the users. As always, YMMV.

What exactly?

OK, so let’s make it clear and simple : N10 is the best Nuendo version ever. I love it !

Well, that’s a loaded question, and goes to a long-time gripe I have with many developers that never seem to finish a particular feature the way I wish they would. YMMV of course, and it’s all dependent on your own unique needs and workflow, but IMO Steinberg has been guilty (again, along with many other developers!) of releasing half-baked features at times, and taking quite a long time to make those features robust enough that I trust them for hard core production.

For example, DOP is still not great. I have been complaining about DOP for a long time, and it’s only now that it’s basically usable. But I still don’t trust it completely for harder-core work. My gripe with Steinberg was the sloppy condition in which they originally released it, and the insanely long time in refining it. Keep in mind, they also made the mistake of replacing a previous functionality and workflow when they first introduced DOP. That was disruptive to workflow and should never have been launched the way they did it. Of course it’s much better now, thank goodness, but still doesn’t feel totally trustworthy enough to hammer it the way I truly like to work, with lots of slicing and dicing and adding more processing even after the initial processing is done. I can still make it buckle. But DOP is at least now good enough for basic and some intermediate tasks. Might be just fine for many other people with different workflows.

Another example is ARA support. Congrats to Steinberg for finally jumping in with ARA, and it is basically usable right now, but could use several improvements. It’s already had one good patch which gave me a little confidence boost. Refer to the many threads about it. I am thrilled they introduced it, but it still has a ways to go.

Another example is the new video engine, which has been a work in progress for years, since the the demise of the Quicktime-based video engine. Again, big kudos to Steinberg for continuing to refine the new video engine, which is taking FOREVER, and which just got video rendering support in 10.2, thankfully. However, this feature is still very limited and forces a re-render to specific codec and settings, and needs to be much more flexible. Ultimately, it needs to be able to “replace” audio without re-rendering the video, with far better codec and settings support. So for my use, it’s only partially useful, not to mention not that solid yet for me. Again, I’m happy it has finally reached this point, but still has a ways to go, not just in features but in reliability too.

There are many examples, but those above are just a few… where I am hoping for and frankly expecting more bugfixes and refinements. Each release gives me more confidence to use those new(-ish) features. Hope that makes sense.

Overall, though, this needs to be taken in the context of comparable DAWs and apps of this level of depth and complexity. Again, I want to be clear that I think N10 is definitely mature and one of the best releases from Steinberg in a long time, a real professional powerhouse in the DAW market, but nothing is ever perfect. Just trying to be realistic and honest. When I compare to Avid, for example, Steinberg has been on a good roll lately and sometimes Avid looks positively inept and neanderlithic, but Steinberg still has a lot more to do. They need to keep their standards high and not allow features to be released before they are ready. But again, overall, 10 is very good and I say jump in with your eyes wide open, and still hope for and push for refinements. And truly, nothing out there really matches N10 anyway, but I just hope that Steinberg doesn’t ever get a big head and allow that to lower their standards. YMMV.

You sound like T.C. Add a few more pixels to the camera and, “This is the best my-phone ever.” Of course1! The camera has a few more pixels than the previous my-phone. Meanwhile, Sams-phone always had more pixels, and my-phone is trying to catch up. :laughing:

I have had nothing but a very good experience with N10, with the 64 bit ARA problem, that has been fixed in 10.2, I’m pleased with N10

OMG ! The infamous internet forum disease strikes again !

Of course, I am a brainless fanboy or even worse, I work for Steinberg and earn a ton of money by making positive comment. But happily, your very very smart comparison between Nuendo and an iPhone is so helpful and so useful, it demonstrates how brilliant and clever you are. :laughing:

I have no time for this. Have a fun life.

Certainly. Every single DAW I’ve ever used, and most full releases of them, has sounded different in one way or another, be it SAW Studio, Audition, Pro Tools, Pyramix, Quartz, and so on. I can’t really remember how Nuendo 2 and 3 sounded anymore, and I didn’t even know Cubase had gotten a sibling at first release, but the first thing I reacted to when I upgraded to Nuendo 4 was how incredibly much better everything sounded, and how much easier it got to get to where I wanted. This has been true for every single release since then, and this time the level of detail and resolution totally blew me away.
I did however notice that things sounded less heavy and brighter right off the bat when imported into Nuendo 10 than how things had sounded before, and not least when comparing to the original files, as my first gig on Nuendo 10 was a clean-up mastering-gig where I was alternating between Nuendo 10 and Izotope Spectral Repair, and both Wavelab LE (have to prioritize things right now) and (especially) Sound Forge complicated things had I done that there.
This worried me that my mixes would suffer from it, but now, a few weeks in as a happy Nuendo 10 user, I can say that that was no problem! I have to deal a bit differently with EQ and filtering in N10 than I did in previous versions, but from what I can tell right now, things produced here seems to work much better on older versions of Nuendo than the other way around, which means it’s a very good thing by the looks of it right now. The jury’s still out, but right now WIH (What I Hear) when I work seems to be WIG (What I Get) when I render.

:open_mouth: Are you sure about this? Have you tried any null tests? I work a lot between Logic, Nuendo and RX and have never really noticed anything like this. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thank you!

Very comprehensive, and detailed! :slight_smile:

Aahh! Now I get you!

This reminds me of when I moved from Sonar to Sequoia. Sequoia had a different sound. As time went by I realised, that it was showing me more of the mid-range detail; which was a good thing.

Thanx for the explanation!

This worried me that my mixes would suffer from it, but now, a few weeks in as a happy Nuendo 10 user, I can say that that was no problem!

Oh Kaayy …

I have to deal a bit differently with EQ and filtering in N10 than I did in previous versions,

…understandably …

but from what I can tell right now, things produced here seems to work much better on older versions of Nuendo than the other way around, which means it’s a very good thing by the looks of it right now.

This part is a bit confusing, though.