Anybody here considering Avid S1 or S4 for Cubase/Nuendo?

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.
Keyplayer

Anybody here considering Avid S1 or S4 for Cubase/Nuendo?

Post by Keyplayer » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:51 pm

As the title says. Is anybody here considering Avid S1 or S4 for Cubase/Nuendo? I'm on The Artist Series gear now and the improvements in the S1 Series are very tempting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSk4cQLwzPM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGo5mUZzh6w&t=110s

Of course, what I'd prefer is for SB/Yamaha to MAKE OUR OWN VERSIONS OF THIS HARDWARE!
Nuendo 1.0 - 10 |VST Studio Connect Pro | Windows 10 Pro | Intel i7 - 5820K CPU @ 3.30 | 64-bit OS | 32GB of RAM |RME HDSPe RayDAT | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti Video Card | Euphonix MC Control, 2 Mix & Transport | Xkeys | iConnectivity mi10 MIDI Interface | UAD-2 Octo Core with UAD-1 Legacy Ultra Pak | Isotope RX4 | Melodyne 3.2 | Voxengo Plugins | Real Guitar | B4 II | EZ Drummer | Drumagog 4 | Virtual Guitarist 2 | Korg, Roland, Kurzweil Synths | Apogee Big Ben | 32 Channel Panasonic DA-7 desk | Equator D5 (5.1) & Mackie 824 (St.) monitors | VS-1680 & 880 HDR's |

TEEF

Re: Anybody here considering Avid S1 or S4 for Cubase/Nuendo?

Post by TEEF » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:32 am

Looks nice, but I think the price is going to get pretty hefty with all the iPads or whatever pads you need for each bank.

Personally, I've been mixing on the same MCUs+ extenders since before I went Gray! LOL I don't know what color my hair would turn if I went with those puppies!
TEEF

TEEF

Post by TEEF » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:36 am

Weren't you having problems with the artist series that you're currently using? Do you think it's going to be any better with these new units? There was a time where I contemplating moving control surfaces, to the artist series. This was before Avid bought them. I never made the move. I never had issues with my setup and I just augmented my setup with a touch screen monitor and a iPad. My Mainstay of work was a lot of local bands, radio commercials, TV show vo and pickups and that kind of stuff.
TEEF

Keyplayer

Post by Keyplayer » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:06 pm

TEEF wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:36 am
Weren't you having problems with the artist series that you're currently using? Do you think it's going to be any better with these new units? There was a time where I contemplating moving control surfaces, to the artist series. This was before Avid bought them. I never made the move. I never had issues with my setup and I just augmented my setup with a touch screen monitor and a iPad. My Mainstay of work was a lot of local bands, radio commercials, TV show vo and pickups and that kind of stuff.
You are absolutely correct, Sir. I was/am having issues with the Artist Series gear and yes, the temptation is because said issues are SUPPOSEDLY FIXED.
The S1 added Function Buttons (Control/Alt/Delete etc.) which will expand some options. The crashing issue with PT Control is supposedly taking care of because you can run it on Android (they were pointing to the Apple working with PC as the issue. People running Nuendo on Macs supposedly didn't have the problem). You can get tablets for about $200.00 a piece now and YOU DON'T NEED THE TABLET. They're just an option. If you don't get them, it'll be the same as the Artist Mix. At $1300 a pop, you could get a 25 fader setup (including a Dock) for less than $5K! That was the asking price for the S3 alone!!

IF IT WORKS, that's way more affordable than the minimum Nuage set up at 3 times that price! I can assure you that I will NOT be gambling on this! I will try it out in the store first. If I delete a track in Nuendo and the hardware doesn't follow with that change, IT'LL BE OVER RIGHT THEN.

But, for now, I'm curious if Eucon will be salvageable for non PT users. :?:
Nuendo 1.0 - 10 |VST Studio Connect Pro | Windows 10 Pro | Intel i7 - 5820K CPU @ 3.30 | 64-bit OS | 32GB of RAM |RME HDSPe RayDAT | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti Video Card | Euphonix MC Control, 2 Mix & Transport | Xkeys | iConnectivity mi10 MIDI Interface | UAD-2 Octo Core with UAD-1 Legacy Ultra Pak | Isotope RX4 | Melodyne 3.2 | Voxengo Plugins | Real Guitar | B4 II | EZ Drummer | Drumagog 4 | Virtual Guitarist 2 | Korg, Roland, Kurzweil Synths | Apogee Big Ben | 32 Channel Panasonic DA-7 desk | Equator D5 (5.1) & Mackie 824 (St.) monitors | VS-1680 & 880 HDR's |

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Post by MattiasNYC » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:40 pm

I just tried what you've tried to do in N10 with the Artist Mix on a mac based DAW that normally runs PT HDX. I too didn't find a way to get the controller to not show hidden channels.

The next thing I tried to accomplish was have Nuendo hide channels and then auto-select one of the channels that's left visible. My thinking was that if we could achieve that then at the very least we could have the Mix chase selected channel and at least bank over to the right area. So as long as we're not mixing channel types for example it'd help. Of course non-contiguous selections would still be an issue, like 'show tracks with data under cursor' if they're tracks 1, 3, 9, 13 for example.

Anyway, a bit annoying for sure.
Nuendo 7.1.4 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.7GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Radeon VII / ASUS x370-A mobo/ 500GB WD Blue system drive / Crucial BX100 250GB SSD media / spinners for library/backup ::::: iZotope RX 7/ Phoenixverb Surround / DaVinci Resolve / Faderport / Applied Acoustics UltraAnalog / my pet pony Frank

SuperSteve

Post by SuperSteve » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:48 am

Hi Ya’ll,

Just curious if anyone already has had the chance to try this out in person at a showroom or demo setup yet ?

Curious to hear your verdicts on this...

RuskinF

Post by RuskinF » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:57 am

If I may I would go with Avid S4, but I would reconsider if the price is too big.

Keyplayer

Post by Keyplayer » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:55 am

RuskinF wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:57 am
If I may I would go with Avid S4, but I would reconsider if the price is too big.
What qualifies as "too big?"

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”