Stream Deck macro keypad

I still haven’t settled on one workflow, and I don’t think I ever will - there are too many variables.

If I’m home and in “work mode” (in the study, with the big screen and the 88-key stage piano) then it’s a free-for-all. For getting lots of notes in quickly, I will still use the G13 under one hand and the midi keyboard under the other. That said, if I’m tweaking some existing material and realise I need to add a couple of notes, and both hands are already on the computer keyboard, I’ll keep using the computer keyboard. If I’m throwing in dynamics or articulations and one hand is on the Stream Deck (as it often is), that hand will remain on the Stream Deck.

If I’m home but in “slob mode” (I guess the nice term would be “agile” or “multitasking”) and a client asks for a quick fix, I’ll work entirely (but generally briefly) from just the laptop. Unintuitive though they are, I’ve committed some of Notation Express’s underlying keyboard shortcuts to memory so that I can use them without the Stream Deck being there.

If I’m on the move, it really just depends. On Friday I was on planes for 14 hours. I’m away for a week with plenty of time to kill (and a few jobs to do) so I packed a small MIDI keyboard and my Stream Deck XL, while carrying my regular Stream Deck and laptop in hand luggage. A pianist colleague (that doesn’t read chord charts) asked me - on Thursday night - to realise a rather fiddly chart for her by Saturday morning. I wish I’d had a MIDI keyboard in hand luggage in order to speed up that job on the plane, but I made do with just the laptop and quord mode.

One thing that I’ll try to share (probably in late January) is how the folders in Notation Express can be customised to give you a faster workflow. Whether in Dorico’s GUI/menus or Stream Deck’s folders, a potential speedbump is in having to repeatedly drill down through menus or subfolders. For this reason I often adapt Notation Express folders for specific projects or clients, so that the functions I most commonly need are on one screen (folder).

I’ve probably just over shared unnecessarily, but I guess the point I’m trying to make is that my efficiency comes from adapting to the situation and the requirements.