new amd 3960x and 3970x ryzen 3950

hey dear cubase family,

did anyone had the chance already to test the
new amd 3960x 24core and 3970x 32 core or the ryzen 3950?

it seems that the 3960x and 3970x can handle
4,2 ghz on all cores with a bit of overclocking.

do u think for example the i9 9900ks 8 core
with 5ghz turbo clock on all cores is still
a better solution since realtime benefits
from higher clock speed vs more cores?

what are thoughts?

greez
karunovski

Hi, I am using intel i9-7980xe and I am interested in 3970x. I just don’t know if you know that.Steinberg daws have errors that cause drop out, scratch noise when operating with more than 14 cores in Windows 10. I’m… I’m the victim. Someone using 2990wx wrote to the forum that they were experiencing the same symptoms as me. Since I do a lot of heavy work, I want to invest more in performance than Mac’s emotion, but I’m really thinking about whether I should throw out my Steinberg and use another daw.
Microsoft or Steinberg, please, I want everyone to solve this problem

*I’m a Korean user, I feel sorry for my short English ability that I relied on for the translator. Have a happy day!

1. Cubase / Nuendo will balance the load of processing equally over available logical and physical cores when AsioGuard is turned ON. The problem people have seen is when it is turned OFF.
  • Therefore figure out if you need it turned on or off, and figure out just how much processing you really are doing with it turned off if that’s what you need.

(What Steinberg did was to cut the amount of threads and cores used down a lot when AG is turned off, in order to avoid drop-outs)

1. Cubase / Nuendo will load the computer differently depending on what you do. If you have some heavy plugins and load up for example 8 of them in series on a single audio track, you get a certain CPU load. If you now duplicate that track you have twice the amount of plugins, but they sort of run in “pairs”; two channels that run in parallel (with plugins in series on each track).

But if you on the other hand have that one first audio track with 8 heavy plugins and route it to a group and place an additional same 8 heavy plugins on the inserts of the group the increased load is larger than before, because now you have 16 plugins in series. The first 8 have to be calculated in order before the next set of 8 get calculated.

So if you look at CPU usage you can see that with more parallel processing you will benefit more from more cores. You can basically look at your projects and try to figure out just how you’re loading your CPU. If you’re using all cores efficiently and maxing out your CPU that way then more cores (AG on) should help you, but if you are using fewer tracks and most of the load is from heavy plugins in series then it’s maybe going to help you less than a faster CPU.

I haven’t seen any tests with a DAW yet.

In addition to what I wrote earlier you should also consider the two different platforms those AMD chips live on: AM4 and TRX40. The price difference is significant, but so is the difference in features. You’re getting far more PCIe 4.0 lanes, more storage and more everything really with TRX40, and it costs a fair amount more. So not only are you paying a fair bit more for 50% more cores but you’re paying extra for the platform as well.

It might very well be worth it, but it really is a bit of a different beast.

On the Intel side I’d be a bit worried about getting a 9900KS depending on what you intend to do and for how long you want to keep the platform. If you get a 3960x for example and realize in a year or two that you need more horsepower you’ll be able to upgrade to the 32 core or maybe the 64 core Threadripper when it comes out (if it uses the same socket). But my understanding is that the 9900-series are pretty much done. The “KS” is quite possibly the last CPU in that lineup so if you get that and run out of power then you’ll be upgrading the motherboard as well.

The equivalent - in a sense - is Intel’s x299 platform as it provides similar features as the Threadrippers, but with less CPU performance (non-DAW). I’m not sure about the future for that platform either though.

So those are some considerations.

sorry guys for my late reply.

thx a lot matthias and fdreim for your anserws.
@matthias…i did some tests with my 8700k to see how the plugs react.
and its totally right what you are saying. more inserts in one channel vs one insert in more seperate channel has a difference.
one channel with 16 plugs seems to have more cpu usage than 16 seperate channels with each one guitar rig plug insert.
i tested that with guitar rig.
i will make some more tests and see how cubase also will react with different ghz. just to check how much difference makes the speed.
i am running now at 4,5ghz. unfortuantly i cannot see if that is for all cores.

do u know, is there any app which can show me a better core view than the task manager in windows. so that i can see the speed of each core.

thx in advance.

karunovski

https://www.hwinfo.com/

It’ll show you everything you can think of that’s worth knowing about your hardware. It’s free.

thx so much matthias. thats a great app.

You’re welcome.

What are your thoughts on the 3970x issue?

None. If I remember correctly scan had problems with the previous generation as well, but not everyone did.

I’d get the 3950x or wait a bit and see if some users get threadripper and get a solid setup. If users do then just clone that system.

We can better compare what are the technical differences between the two processors. The processor AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X has more cores, the turbo frequency of AMD Ryzen 9 3950X is bigger, that the thermal dissipation power of AMD Ryzen 9 3950X is less. Both were produced in the same year. PrepaidCardStatus

I have just built a 3950x machine and it’s great. Interesting looking at the Scan results the 3950x doesn’t need overclocking to perform well as the turbo boost seems to work very well in boosting the needed core.

M