Please remove this thread.

Trump it. I’m done.

It could be that UK-based users, particularly those, shall we say, of a certain age (e.g. me) would only “expect” North American terminology in the same spirit of weary resignation that we expect Microsoft products to default to American page sizes and spelling. By all means give those who prefer North American usage the chance to have it, but please allow us quaint old Brits to keep our hemidemisemiquavers, minims and breves. And our bars (I’ll raise a glass to that).

Michael

Do you have any reference that claims “measure line” is correct American Musical English?

I’ve never seen it, and this The Language and Materials of Music Third Edition - Kendall Durelle Briggs - Google Books (written by a professor of music theory, music history and analysis at Julliard) states that it is wrong.

“Measures” is simply what my orchestration professor suggested me to use for counting bars when I was talking about my marked history essay with him 6 months ago. (e.g.: “mm. 3-6” in lieu of “bar 3-6”.)

Maybe what I supposed is wrong. Probably this varies among different schools or even different professors. Anyway, I will respect the book you consulted: use barline in lieu of measure line.

Americans refer to measures but to barlines and not measure lines. Don’t try to assign standard logic to this or, for that matter, to anything in the extremely eclectic English language!

For what it’s worth I’m a professor at an American university (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign) and I use “bar” and “measure” interchangeably.

BarMeasure.jpg
from the doc options of a rather famous American notation app… :slight_smile:

In that example I (North American) wouldn’t have to think twice about what was meant by bar or measure. Third bar or third measure. Either. I wouldn’t consciously notice any difference.
Now hemidemisemi quaver does force a moment of panic as I have to think what is that in normal terms. Let alone having to say it out loud with a straight face or, even worse, having to write it more than once in a lifetime.

By the same token - and without a hint of hostility - I prefer minim to ‘half note’ when it’s actually a quarter - of the breve :wink:.

But then - I’ll grant you - a breve is hardly the briefest of notes…

Well the British have always been masters of making sure foreigners would have difficulty figuring out meanings. They certainly wouldn’t be able to pronounce words correctly given their spelling. Who would expect “St. John Smith” to be pronounced “sinjin smyth”? It’s taking an already difficult task, given English spelling ambiguity, to a whole other level.
But we love them. Long live the BBC. And I genuinely mean that. That’s why I have the BBC News app on my iPad.

This situation actually made me disappointed: Nobody till now in this thread talks about anything other than terminology among what I listed in my original post.

The American (and German, for that matter) usage is based on the whole-note unit and the shorter values are the logical arithmetical fractions of that main unit. Isn’t the British use of ‘crotchet’ for a quarter note based on a misunderstanding of the French ‘croche’, meaning eighth note? After all, the origin of crotchet or croche is ‘hook’, representing the flag of an eighth note. Another meaning of crotchet is ‘a strange attitude or habit’! :smiley:

Actually, I’m totally in favor of #9 in your original post!

The #9 and #10 is to remove overlapping functionalities among Steinberg products, saving their developer resources to other things more meaningful (e.g. deeply improving each products for their purposes of being made; improving compatibility to latest mac models, etc.).

It’s been a long while ago and I see none of Dorico team members replied to this thread. Probably it is too long to reply. :slight_smile:

No it’s not been too long ShikiSuen! Hopefully I can add something useful to another of your feature requests.

Regarding your wish to use CMD+Y for Redo - if you go to Edit → Preferences… and then choose the Key Commands tab, you can set your own choice of key commands for Redo (as well as many other functions), so you can set CMD+Y for it here. We don’t want to dictate what you use as your key commands, just offer a default set to get things started :slight_smile:

You didn’t figure out what I meant. Using CMD+Y on macOS for Redo is logically unacceptable and may disrespect possible guidelines made by Apple. Despite my awareness of the possibility to modify the key bindings in Dorico, my feedback is related to what Dorico defaultly performed on macOS.

I think what you mean is that Ctrl/Cmd + Y is more a Windows / PC way of doing redo - e.g. Microsoft Word (even on Mac)?

In Photoshop / Apple Pages etc (even Chrome as I type) it is Cmd + Shift + Z on Mac.

I don’t have all the apps installed on both Mac and PC to check…

What you think is correct. Apple should have provided documents of guidelines regarding user-interface design, including ways of interaction through hotkeys.

P.S.: Regarding the hotkey of Redu function, what Microsoft Office 2016 does on macOS is subject to being filed as a bug report. I will find my way to send this feedback to Microsoft APEX team.

P.P.S.: I updated my initial post to improve the reasoning description.

I found the official documentation provided by Apple.

To Public Users: Mac keyboard shortcuts - Apple Support

To macOS Developers: Designing for macOS | Apple Developer Documentation
It is written at the bottom of Table 72-2 (see attachment for screenshot reference):

Complementary command shortcut: > Shift-Command-Z
Complementary command: > Redo (when Undo and Redo are separate commands rather than toggled using Command-Z)
Complemented command shortcut: > Command-Z (Undo)

With a special notice written prior to where the table is placed:

IMPORTANT: > Always respect the system-reserved keyboard shortcuts in your app so that users aren’t confused when the shortcuts they know work differently in your app.