Cubase and Dorico

All feature requests and suggestions for upcoming releases of Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 can be posted here.
NorbertM

Cubase and Dorico

Post by NorbertM » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:04 pm

Hi,

as I find the score-editing in Cubase quite poor, I would wish an integrtation of Dorico in Cubase 9.5 at no charge.

Regards.

Norbert

raino
Grand Senior Member

Re: Cubase and Dorico

Post by raino » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:11 pm

NorbertM wrote:Hi,

as I find the score-editing in Cubase quite poor, I would wish an integrtation of Dorico in Cubase 9.5 at no charge.

Regards.

Norbert
Dorico as it is costs only a few dollars less than Cubase Pro. They are not going to include it for free. They are different products aimed at different (although sometimes overlapping) markets.
rodger

Cubase Pro 10.5, Win10 Home, Halion6, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

Minimalist

Post by Minimalist » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:46 pm

There should be a discount for Cubase owners to buy Dorico (at least for a temporary period). I agree that the Cubase scoring feature is horrid but the moderator doesn't like you to speak the truth. He will call you a troll.

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:28 pm

Minimalist wrote:There should be a discount for Cubase owners to buy Dorico (at least for a temporary period). I agree that the Cubase scoring feature is horrid but the moderator doesn't like you to speak the truth. He will call you a troll.
That would have been smart from a marketing standpoint. I bet the revenue generated by additional sales would be greater revenue lost due to lower pricing for those Cubase users who bought it at the current price. And for a new product in an already established product category increasing the user base at the start has got to be important.
rodger

Cubase Pro 10.5, Win10 Home, Halion6, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

TheMaestro

Post by TheMaestro » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:11 am

NorbertM wrote:I find the score-editing in Cubase quite poor
"Poor" ? You can't be serious ! Please try to learn how to use it.
(same for you Minimalist)

I wish a complete integration of Dorico into Cubase too. In the meantime The Score Editor being quite professional and even quite impressive for a scoring program inside a DAW, I can wait.

If you are an engraver, and you don't need the extra playback capabilities of the Score Editor, then it would be more straightforward for you to work with a dedicated scoring software.

Maybe you should simply consider investing in Dorico.
Cubase Pro 10 | Halion 6.1 | VEP 7
Windows 10 x64 | i7 920 | 48GB RAM | M-AUDIO Delta 1010LT | Yamaha S80

Minimalist

Post by Minimalist » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:59 pm

raino wrote:
Minimalist wrote:There should be a discount for Cubase owners to buy Dorico (at least for a temporary period). I agree that the Cubase scoring feature is horrid but the moderator doesn't like you to speak the truth. He will call you a troll.
That would have been smart from a marketing standpoint. I bet the revenue generated by additional sales would be greater revenue lost due to lower pricing for those Cubase users who bought it at the current price. And for a new product in an already established product category increasing the user base at the start has got to be important.
Also there might be numerous future upgrade sales for Dorico.

ResonantMind

Post by ResonantMind » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:56 am

I'd pay for a Cubase Pro + if it included Dorico integrated and had an option to switch between Cubase Classic Score and Cubase Dorico Score. And of coarse also was Standalone.

ZeroZero

Post by ZeroZero » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:35 pm

Another alternative for this would be a "Dorico LIte" in Cubase. IMO there are huge benefits for composers to have their score fully integrated with their sequencer, too many to list. I would love to see C10 with a piano clef "edit in place" option for the project window, all in Dorico - so you could think notes.

I am waiting until Dorico truly integrates before I buy. Meanwhile it is true that Cubase score is powerful they should keep it as legacy. Does Dorico have display quantize yet?

Z
Cubase 9, 64 bit Intel 8700k, Asus Rog Strix z390 mobo, 64 gig RAM PC, Win10, Focusrite Liquid 56 Running in Surround 5.1 British Rail sandwich circa 1967, a singing fish and an inert K9.

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Zero_Zero

jerome

Post by jerome » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:26 am

At least the ability for Cubase and Dorcio to interact as Studio One and Notion or as Cubase and Wavelab.

A real integration should happen in a second time.

Minimalist

Post by Minimalist » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:41 pm

jerome wrote:At least the ability for Cubase and Dorcio to interact as Studio One and Notion or as Cubase and Wavelab.

A real integration should happen in a second time.

I'm surprised the first iteration didn't include ReWire. Steinberg invented ReWire. The exclusion of ReWire is one of the reasons I said Daniel Spreadbury doesn't care about Cubase customers.

jerome

Post by jerome » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:38 am

I agree that ReWire should be a must-have feature.

But (for me), it will be more usefull to have interaction as previously mentioned.

"The exclusion of ReWire is one of the reasons I said Daniel Spreadbury doesn't care about Cubase customers"
I do not agree with this statement. Dorico has a lot of features but also a lot missing ones : tabs, chords and many other (including ReWire). It is more a timing issue than anybody doesn't care about any customers.

However, I agree that Dorico is not an application mainly designed for Cubase users, but an alternative for Finale or Sibelius (and other) - and as Cubase user, I hope this will change within this new year.

Steinberg possesses killer applications but still need to create an homogeneous worflow, something deeper than 3 standalone tools (Dorico, Cubase, Wavelab) and I don't think ReWire - witch can be helpfull - will be sufficient.

Minimalist

Post by Minimalist » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:04 pm

jerome wrote: I don't think ReWire - witch can be helpfull.
Care to elaborate? Why not helpful enough? ReWire doesn't just sync the programs unless poorly implemented.

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:17 pm

Because Rewire doesn't provide for sharing selections. (If I may jump in).
independent manufacturer rep
cubase pro, nuendo, and dorico pro; latest versions
windows pro 10 | i7-3770k | ga-77x-ud5h | 32 Gb | UR44C | hp spectre x360 2018 | 16 Gb

jerome

Post by jerome » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:32 am

First ... it's true I probably not use ReWire correctly.

But it would be usefull to open and work directly on data rather than on flow : at least the ability do send and receive data to and from an application (like it is actually possible in Cubase & Wavelab) ; at best the ability to open Dorico in replacement of Cubase Score Editor (as an option if you own the 2 applications) or to open Wavelab within Cubase as a complement of the (very usefull) cubase audio editor without an export/import and with the benefit of a single application (and the ability, for example, to use the history in all steps - not only mix console - and to save the history).

SteveInChicago : Is this what you said by "sharing selections" ?
Minimalist : do not hesitate to correct me if ReWire should be my "go-to" option ... as soosn as Dorico will include ReWire :D

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:38 pm

jerome wrote:SteveInChicago : Is this what you said by "sharing selections" ?
As in, you select a note in the Score Editor, and it is simultaneously selected in the Key Editor.
independent manufacturer rep
cubase pro, nuendo, and dorico pro; latest versions
windows pro 10 | i7-3770k | ga-77x-ud5h | 32 Gb | UR44C | hp spectre x360 2018 | 16 Gb

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”