Error too many tracks recording!!

For users of legacy Steinberg Cubase software
nick name

Error too many tracks recording!!

Post by nick name » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:09 pm

So I used to have a piece of crap computer with the minimum requirements, on board firewire, and Cubase Studio 4 and never had any issues. Since I upgraded my computer to a new Windows 7, 6gb Ram, TB harddrive yada yada I've been getting this "error too many tracks recording", even when only recoring one track.
I've upgraded to Cubase 6, installed a pci express firewire card with the TI chipset, upgraded from M Audio Project Mix to Allen & Heath ZED R16 and STILL....same problem.
Most currently I've been running 8 tracks - 1 guitar, 1 bass, 6 on the drums. The strange thing is that we can make it through some songs just fine but when things get a little loud and intense is when Cubase can't handle it.
I read somewhere online that excessive vibration to the harddrive can cause this.
My questions are: Is there any truth to the above statement? Is there anything else that could be causing this?
If necessary I can post more detailed info about my processor,etc but it should be more than sufficient for what I'm trying to do.

Conman

Re: Error too many tracks recording!!

Post by Conman » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:13 pm

Seeing as you mention it gets loud and a hint about Drive vibration first place I'd check is the hard drive housing. Maybe someone forgot to clip the latches or put too few screws in. Maybe the latches and / or housing is flimsy or a bit slack. Cardboard wedges can sometimes help temporarily.
Could also be loose connectors so check those. And a hard drive performance checker might also throw up some answers.
First call: Right clcik on the drive and goto Properties and then Tools and check for errors there.
Asus P6T deluxe; Core i7 920 2.67gHz; 12gig ram; Win7 Pro SP1; Roland Octa-Capture usb inteface; Cubase 6; and no 3rd party additions couple of hard drives PSU 750watt; NVidia GE Force 9600.
"An entrepreneur accepts that the world is the way that it is and goes about changing it rather than waiting for someone to make it easy for them."

Split
Grand Senior Member

Re: Error too many tracks recording!!

Post by Split » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:41 pm

I have heard of a similar situation of a laptop crapping out in a VERY LOUD practice room because of excessive vibration.

If you can record say eight tracks or so of silence for a while and see if it suffers the same fate then it's not vibration from loud music!
??????Split
Cubase 10|MOTU 16A
Still at it... just!

Return to “Older Cubase versions”