ASUS ROG or Prime mobo for Cubase?

Find topics on computers, studios and music-related hardware.
SledDriver

ASUS ROG or Prime mobo for Cubase?

Post by SledDriver »

Are there any advantages or disadvantages (ignoring money) in getting a ROG v Prime Asus Mobo for a new PRIMARILY Cubase rig, which will be used for gaming too.

On paper the spec is almost identical.
DAW: Cubase Pro 11 since SL2 and previous, OS: Win 10 Pro x64 Build 20H2, CPU: Intel i7-8700K delidded O/C'd @ 5GHz (running at around 34°C on air!! in Cubase), RAM: 64GB/DDR4 @2666MHz, Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A, M.2x1 + SSDx4, Graphics: GeForce GTX 1080Ti, 5 monitors, Audio Interface: FocusRite 18i20 Gen 2, Studio Monitors: Adam P11A+Sub8 with SonarWorks Reference 4 calibration, MidiSport 2x2, AlphaTrack, Lexicon reverb. VST’s include FabFilter suite, Waves, Syntorus, Eventide, R2, PositiveGrid, Focusrite Red, Softube, iZotope, Line 6 Helix, Nugen, PSP, SIR3. VSTi’s include Arturia V7, Addictive Keys, FXpansion, Kiev Legacy, MinimogueLuxus, MusicLab, Native Instruments, Sonivox, Spectrasonics, Spitfire Audio, Superior Drummer 3, BFD3, Synthogy, SpectraLayers Pro 7. Others include zPlane, jBridge, Sleepy-Time, Voxengo, YouLean Pro.

mikefearn83

Re: ASUS ROG or Prime mobo for Cubase?

Post by mikefearn83 »

go with Prime

SledDriver

Post by SledDriver »

Yeah, that's what I ordered. Seems like the better choice for reliability.

And I note that Scan Computers who make music PC's, and have access to pretty much anything from their parts list, choose Prime for their music PC's.

Ta
DAW: Cubase Pro 11 since SL2 and previous, OS: Win 10 Pro x64 Build 20H2, CPU: Intel i7-8700K delidded O/C'd @ 5GHz (running at around 34°C on air!! in Cubase), RAM: 64GB/DDR4 @2666MHz, Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A, M.2x1 + SSDx4, Graphics: GeForce GTX 1080Ti, 5 monitors, Audio Interface: FocusRite 18i20 Gen 2, Studio Monitors: Adam P11A+Sub8 with SonarWorks Reference 4 calibration, MidiSport 2x2, AlphaTrack, Lexicon reverb. VST’s include FabFilter suite, Waves, Syntorus, Eventide, R2, PositiveGrid, Focusrite Red, Softube, iZotope, Line 6 Helix, Nugen, PSP, SIR3. VSTi’s include Arturia V7, Addictive Keys, FXpansion, Kiev Legacy, MinimogueLuxus, MusicLab, Native Instruments, Sonivox, Spectrasonics, Spitfire Audio, Superior Drummer 3, BFD3, Synthogy, SpectraLayers Pro 7. Others include zPlane, jBridge, Sleepy-Time, Voxengo, YouLean Pro.

AceCohle

Post by AceCohle »

hey ! hello SledDriver, i'm about to build a pc with the same combo cpu motherboard and doing a research to know who turns on it with cubase , i found you .. I see that you have a nvidia card and it's for me a no go because my old setup on sandybridge was an nightmare with drivers ..my question is simple are you happy with this setup ? I mainly want to mix heavy project ..Thanks for the reply

SLL

Post by SLL »

I've also build a DAW setup around the Asus z370-a prime. I just love Asus' BIOS layout and structure. The board is nice, and I haven't really stumbled across any bigger problems. The DPC latency is pretty low out of the box, about 10-50 microseconds, with a few peaks about 150 microseconds from directx and and the OS kernel. If you disable the cpu's power status (c-states) in BIOS, the DPC latency is down to about 0-20 microseconds here, with no peaks.

I'm using a RME Raydat I/O card to my converters.

SLL

Return to “Computer/Studio Hardware & Setup”