Sequel 3 on windows XP

Discuss all Sequel related topics.
JCR01

Sequel 3 on windows XP

Post by JCR01 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:21 pm

Hi,

Help !

I bought the download update from Sequel 2 to Sequel 3. I still use Windows XP. Everything went fine (even registration was OK) until I double clicked on the Sequel3 icon to start program. I then had an error message :

Sequel3.exe. Unable to Locate Component
This application has failed to start because dwmapi.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

What is this dwmapi.dll file ? Does this means I cannot use Sequel 3 because I don't have enough memory ? I only have 1GB Ram. Is this the cause of the problem ?

I have tried to reinstall but message is still the same.
Please could you let me know what this message means? Is Sequel3 compatible with windows XP?

Could someone clarify this for me ?

Thanks
JC

blue_wave

Re: Sequel 3 on windows XP

Post by blue_wave » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:38 pm

Hi JC

Same problem with me on Win XP SP3

Sequel 3 is only supported on Win 7

That doesnt mean it wont run on XP, just that Steinberg wont support it. ( I have other Steinberg products that say Win 7 but they work fine on xp)

However it seems dwmapi.dll is a win 7 file that we dont have.

Now Ive been waiting for Sequel 3 for some time, and I wont spending £100 for Win 7 and the rest for a motherboard upgrade (cus mine wont run win 7) for a £30 upgrade from S2 to S3

So hopefully Steinberg will come up with something to help us poor guys.

Hopefully quickly as my 30 day trial has started and ticking down.

Please Help

Regards
Bluewave

JCR01

Post by JCR01 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:13 pm

Hi,
many thanks for confirming you have the same issue. I guess the only solution is to buy a new computer? Hey Mr Windows must be a happy bunny ??
Have you tried Cubase elements 6 ? This works fine on XP. OK it costs around 90 pounds but this is cheaper than a new hardware. I like Cubase elements for its new Halion SE feature but the software itself is a bit boring and less user friendly and intuitive than Sequel.
I have bought sequel for 30 euros which is not the end of the world so thanks to Steinberg anyway for this great long awaited software.
We probably need to rush to PC world.... unless someone else has an XP solution ?
Take care,
JC

jobu

Post by jobu » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:06 pm

I've got the same problem. Missing dwmapi.dll file, and reinsallation doesn't help.

My installation is a downloaded upgrade from Sequel2 btw.

Besides:
I've got Cubase 6 and WaveLab 7 running fine on my XP SP3, dual core intel PC with 2GB RAM, so why don't this Sequel 3 prog do the same?

Hey,...SB where are you? :cry:
Dual Core 2x2,6Ghz , 2GB RAM , WinXP SP3 , Cubase 6.5 , WaveLab 7.2.1, Sequel 3, Melodyne Editor 2.0 and various software from IKMultimedia, SonicCharge and MeldaProduction.
Enjoy music, enjoy life!

bob1474

Post by bob1474 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:47 pm

I was almost ready to purchase the upgrade, but as jobu mentioned I also have Cubase 6 and wavelab 7 running fine on winxp sp3, so can't quite understand why the simpler Sequel 3 won't run. :shock: Unless they want to "herd" us all into win 7 by "outdating" us. How about you just give us a fix for the file it's asking for? :idea:
Intel I7 k875 @ 2.93, 4gig ram winxp / lapptop and second pc linked by fxteleport all 32bit. presonus faderport, Alesis firewire audio. fatar 88 (and many other) controllers.

JHP

Post by JHP » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:38 pm

I do not think that there are any herding intentions or cunning involved regarding the Sequel 3 Atari OS, MS-DOS and Windows XP incompatibility. :)

What "Sequel 3 is not supported on Windows XP" means is that Sequel 3 was do not tailor-made and designed for Windows XP and that Sequel 3 was not tested in combination with Windows XP. Consequently we cannot guaranty that Sequel 3 will work on XP or make statements about possible errors that might occur. We cannot support you with the errors you encounter if your try to install Sequel 3 on Windows XP.
Moving away from Windows XP relates to code optimization for the present and future technology and to introducing performance and functionality gains.

Gr,
JHP
Jan Peters, QA
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Check out Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook!

blue_wave

Post by blue_wave » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:10 pm

Hi

I know JHP was making a joke :lol: about the backward compatability,

He is correct we cant expect to get cutting edge applications if we dont have the latest OS

Ah!!! but he didnt mention Vista

Now then, my wife has a Vista Laptop, and low and behold Sequel 3 works on that.

Regards
Bluewave

jobu

Post by jobu » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:27 pm

JHP wrote:We cannot support you with the errors you encounter if your try to install Sequel 3 on Windows XP.
You mean that you wount!!
Oh course you can, and in my opinion you should if the problem isn't related to XP.
If you know it's related to XP, you should tell us so; if you know it's not, you should help us; but if you don't know, you may say so. That's fair play to me.

The rest of your answer is ok with me, and I understand that it's impossible to give support under circumstances that breaks the stated conditions for the program.
Dual Core 2x2,6Ghz , 2GB RAM , WinXP SP3 , Cubase 6.5 , WaveLab 7.2.1, Sequel 3, Melodyne Editor 2.0 and various software from IKMultimedia, SonicCharge and MeldaProduction.
Enjoy music, enjoy life!

Bodo
Steinberg Employee

Post by Bodo » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:28 am

The problem is caused by XP because the missing file is related to the "Desktop Window Manager", which is only available since windows vista.

bob1474

Post by bob1474 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:21 am

jhp- thanks for the reply-fair enough, I do also have a Vista laptop, I might give it a go on that. but the reality still exists thast some of us have not yet moved to new OS's for various reasons, and it still is funny that Cubase 6 will run just fine on WinXP-why is it not needing the Win7 "desktop code" mentioned (or whatever code it seems to need) above when Sequel 3 does? Not trying to ruffle any feathers here, As a loyal user of Cubase and many of Steinbergs other programs, it just seems a bit odd to not just make it compatable while you're in there writing code. Some may ask why a Cubase 6 user would want to use Sequel-sometimes I need a demo or idea jotted down quickly and sequel is great for that. I can always expand it into Cubase later if needed. :)
Intel I7 k875 @ 2.93, 4gig ram winxp / lapptop and second pc linked by fxteleport all 32bit. presonus faderport, Alesis firewire audio. fatar 88 (and many other) controllers.

TLF

Post by TLF » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:51 am

Dear Steinberg People,

It's only reasonable to think that when people buy an update for a software application they own, they expect it to run on the same machine as their existing application.

After buying, downloading and installing the updated application and after realizing that it won't work on my XP machine, I checked the Minimum System Requirements and saw that the update required Win7 OS.

But nothing of this kind appeared in yours "Now available: Sequel 3" mail that you sent me on September 1st.

You should have warned me and all other Sequel 1 and Sequel 2 owners that the update would not work on our existing machines unless they are running Win7 OS.

Please let me know if there is a workaround for this problem or, alternatively, how I could get my money back.

Thank you.

jobu

Post by jobu » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:06 pm

It's only reasonable to think that when people buy an update for a software application they own, they expect it to run on the same machine as their existing application.
Sequel 3 is an upgrade, not an update.
But I still don't see why there should be a difference between C6 , WL7 and Sequel 3.
Enjoy music, enjoy life!

simoncrocket

Post by simoncrocket » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:32 pm

Are Vista users finding that Sequel 3 is working properly ? I have Vista 64 bit OS ? . . :?:
simoncrocket

JHP

Post by JHP » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:24 pm

simoncrocket wrote:Are Vista users finding that Sequel 3 is working properly ? I have Vista 64 bit OS ? . . :?:
Sequel 3 is not officially supported on Vista but I assume that it will run.

But to make sure, here is a link to the trial:

Sequel 3 Trial:
Here is a link to the Sequel 3 trial version.
Sequel 3 Trial Version

Gr,
JHP
Jan Peters, QA
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Check out Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook!

jonsbe

Post by jonsbe » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:45 pm

works for me on vista 64 bit

simoncrocket

Post by simoncrocket » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:37 pm

Thanks Jonsbe - I shall do the trial..........
simoncrocket

Return to “Sequel”