tempo up and up and up

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 here.
commondenom

tempo up and up and up

Post by commondenom » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:11 pm

cubase/general production question

so i know there's a limit on the tempo in cubase, set to 300bpm, so then maybe someone can help me achieve the effect that can be heard in this track https://youtu.be/-vut0Xv1DgU?t=291
somehow the producer manages to get the tempo to increase faaar above 300 bpm until it's just a blur....

someone must know how to do this within the DAW we all love

alexis
Grand Senior Member

Re: tempo up and up and up

Post by alexis » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:58 pm

commondenom wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:11 pm
cubase/general production question

so i know there's a limit on the tempo in cubase, set to 300bpm, so then maybe someone can help me achieve the effect that can be heard in this track https://youtu.be/-vut0Xv1DgU?t=291
somehow the producer manages to get the tempo to increase faaar above 300 bpm until it's just a blur....

someone must know how to do this within the DAW we all love
Wow, that is totally not in the least the kind of music I listen to or make, but I thought that was extremely cool!

Not sure if this helps with the actual question - but I used a plug-in called "Glitch" to do a tape stop to zero BPM, and then a tape start up to initial tempo. If it can go down to zero, maybe it can go up way high also ... if no one else has a better suggestion, it might be helpful to check it out (I think it has a free trial version, and sorry I'm not at DAW to check for you ... I'll try to do so next time I'm there).
Alexis

-Cubase "Safe Start Mode" (CTRL-ALT-SHIFT)
-Get variable-tempo audio to follow a grid here,
-Replacing freely-timed section into a variable tempo project

Cubase 9.0.20; i5-4570 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM; W10 Pro 64-bit on Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB; Seagate 1TB SATA 600 Audio; UR28M; Motif8; UAD-2 Solo; Jamstix 3.6; RevoicePro3.3; EZDrummer 2

commondenom

Post by commondenom » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:44 pm

nice...i know the plugin though i don't use it but i do use something similar (NIs the finger).....i'll check it out thanks

peakae
Grand Senior Member

Post by peakae » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:36 pm

Have you tried opening the audio pool and setting the tempo of the file/files really low, say 10bpm.
Then set the tempo of the project to the same bpm
Make a tempo track and ramp it up to 300 bpm.
Not in front of a computer to try, but could work I think.
Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab Elements 9, I7 3770K , win10x64, 16Gb Ram, RME Raydat, Steinberg MR816x, Motu 828mkII, Behringer ADA8200, Yamaha moXF6, Steinberg UR242, Yamaha THR 10, Grace Design m900, CMC TP, CMC CH.

commondenom

Post by commondenom » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:09 am

thanks for the tips guys....apparently it's something called dub-delay

now i know what the effect is called i'll research it to find out how to achieve it....when i've figured it out i'll come back and share the knowledge

teknatronik

Post by teknatronik » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:46 pm

Doesn't sound like a bpm increase. Sounds like a wave form being sped up with steps. You can achieve this with most vsts. Sylenth does this well along with pad shop pro.

Hurmpie

Post by Hurmpie » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:14 pm

Sounds to me like a looping tool with a pitch up, I dont know any VST that does this sort of effect btw.

I think the same sort of effect can be achieved by exporting a bar of material, drag it into Groove Agent.
Set Loop Mode to Continuous so it will keep repeating while holding the note and set pitchbend to +24, and use pitchbend on your midi-keyboard to pitch it up, or automate pitchbend.

commondenom

Post by commondenom » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:34 pm

@hurmple....yeah....i think you're right....i saw a video of a guy doing a similar thing but with only a kick drum loop and he did pretty much what you've said.... i'll be giving it a try later and will let you know how i get on with it..

Hurmpie

Post by Hurmpie » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:48 am

I just tried it out and found +24 not being fast enough compared to your example, but +24 is the max allowed here.

I've put "Pitchbend Down" to -48, "Pitchbend Up" to +24.
All the pitch envelope points fully to the top and "Env Amnt" to 48. Vel>Lev 0% to not let velocity level interfere with pitch.
Now with Pitchbend held fully down it's at original tempo, creating a total pitch up range of +72 semitones.

If my amature math is correct, 150BPM material fully pitched up would equal 9600BPM!
A bit exaggerated, but now I know +24 isnt the limit by far. I have to say this is quite fun to play with.

Return to “General”