WaveLab 5-like Workspace

All topics on WaveLab 7 and WaveLab Elements 7
jschultz32

WaveLab 5-like Workspace

Post by jschultz32 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:29 pm

I have previously seen WaveLab 5, which looked like a pretty normal MDI application - with child windows in the wave editor that remembered their default size and had a nice tab switcher to quickly switch to another open file. Now, in WaveLab Elements 7 (Windows), it seems like this is not possible anymore. First, I thought that there is no MDI interface at all anymore, just full-screen tabs, but somehow I suddenly had child windows after a restart, I didn't know how I did that but it's awesome to have child windows there! My only problems are:

1) The child windows are tiny by default. My monitor is 1920x1200, but when loading a new audio file into the audio editor, it opens as a tiny 400x300 window which I first have to expand to reasonable size to work with. Is there a way to set a default size for child windows, f.e. something like "90% of workspace width"? Or can I at least make WaveLab remember the previous child window size? I really need this.

2) No tab bar: Additionally to the open windows, I'd like to have the tab bar back to quickly switch to another audio file. This is really convenient if you have a dozen or so open files!

PG

Re: WaveLab 5-like Workspace

Post by PG » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:56 am

WaveLab, not WaveLab Elements, allows you to work in classical MDI mode. This is restricted to the Audio File workspace only. The idea it to visualize quickly multiple audio files side by side, which can be useful. This is more designed as a temporary way to access the audio file windows, than the standard working way. multiple MDI windows is not screen efficient (duplicated parts like title bars).

WaveLab Elements being based on WaveLab, maybe you have found a backdoor (?) to enter that MIDI mode (I don't know which one), but obviously, you won't be able to use it fully.

I recall that you can divide (in WaveLab Elements), the space in 2 tabbed areas (menu Workspace > Tab groups), hence you can visualize 2 audio files side by side.
Philippe

jschultz32

Post by jschultz32 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:52 pm

Why's this mode not available in Elements? The comparison chart certainly didn't mention that this feature is missing, and that makes me even more disappointed.
but obviously, you won't be able to use it fully.
Well, apart from the default window size, it works perfectly.
I recall that you can divide (in WaveLab Elements), the space in 2 tabbed areas
I don't like that mode. It effectively means that both windows are only half size, and furthermore it means that I have only limited control over which child windows are actually visible.

PG

Post by PG » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:20 pm

The comparison chart does not mention MDI at all, AFAIK. That MDI feature is not essential, and there must be separation lines between the versions.
Philippe

jschultz32

Post by jschultz32 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:26 pm

PG wrote:The comparison chart does not mention MDI at all, AFAIK.
That's why I assumed it would be available in both versions, if at all.
That MDI feature is not essential
For you it might not, but for me it is. If it's not "essential", wouldn't that be a good argument to include it in future update of Elements 7? If it's available in the standard version, there must be code for it, so I suppose it wouldn't be much work to enable the feature in Elements 7 as well.

pwhodges

Post by pwhodges » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:37 pm

jschultz32 wrote:
That MDI feature is not essential
For you it might not, but for me it is.
In which case, the argument is that it must then be worth your while to buy the version with it in.

Paul

jschultz32

Post by jschultz32 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:43 pm

In which case, the argument is that it must then be worth your while to buy the version with it in.
First off, I cannot afford the full version, even with student discount. It's simply too much money for a single piece of software for a student and I don't need all the other bonus features I could get, so even that wouldn't justify spending more money. And secondly, as I said, there was no information in the comparison chart that this is not possible in the Elements version. I feel cheated. It's a workflow I have seen in other WaveLab versions, and I am used to it from other audio editors, so if I had known about this limitation, I would have bought neither version and sticked to other audio editors.

Return to “WaveLab 7 | WaveLab Elements 7”