VST Sound - Move to external HDD

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 here.
hesca116

VST Sound - Move to external HDD

Post by hesca116 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:55 am

Hello folks,

I just got the Absolute 3 library and installed it. The VST sound folder is huge now and my HDD is dangerously full now.

Can I move VST Sound to an external drive? and if so... how do I do it without breaking Cubase?

Thanks!

svennilenni
Grand Senior Member

Re: VST Sound - Move to external HDD

Post by svennilenni » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:43 am

This must be one of the most asked questions around here - just use the search.

hesca116

Post by hesca116 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:44 pm

Tried that before creating this post. Searched for "VST sound moving" the forum's search engine says "ignored: "VST sound". None of the results are relevant.

Went to google, and only got one result:
viewtopic.php?t=18027

Which says I have to modify the registry or some nonsense that the OP says doesnt work anyway.

Has anyone successfully moved VST sound content to an external drive?, and if so, Can you provide a list of steps on how to do it?

I hope its not rocket science. Registry modification is a pain in the neck and its waaay easy to mess up something.

misohoza

Post by misohoza » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:03 pm

Best way to do it would be to use the installer and choose the desired location for the content. By default it goes to AppData/Steinberg/...
If you change it from default it will create shortcuts in the default location pointing to wherever you installed the content.
It can be a different drive.

You can also check this thread: https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewt ... 81591
Win 10 Home, 64 bit, 8 gb ram,
Cubase Pro 9, Wavelab Pro 9, Halion 6, Dorico,
NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Ozone 7,
UR 44

hesca116

Post by hesca116 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:34 pm

misohoza wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:03 pm
Best way to do it would be to use the installer and choose the desired location for the content. By default it goes to AppData/Steinberg/...
If you change it from default it will create shortcuts in the default location pointing to wherever you installed the content.
It can be a different drive.

You can also check this thread: https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewt ... 81591
I tried this, but the installer for Halion 6 would not offer an option to locate the vst sound files on an external hdd.

beerbong

Post by beerbong » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:09 pm

Did you try to load up Halion in standalone mode first?
BB - Intel Quad/RME/Nvidia Video, RME Raydat, Win10 Home
Cubase 8.5 64 bit / Cubase 9.5 / Wavelab Elements / Halion 6 / Padshop Pro

SuperG

Post by SuperG » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:09 am

The easiest way to relocate libraries, under Windows at least, is to copy the library folder to another drive, then make the original folder a junction link pointing to the new folder. This allows you to easily span drives without having to change installation paths.
Win 10 i7-6700, Cubase 10, Sonar Platinum, Halion 6, Kontakt 6, Motu 896 MKIII Hybrid, Motu Ultralite MKIII Hybrid

BatteryPack

Post by BatteryPack » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:13 am

I’m going to create a video and post it to YouTube that shows the basics of moving your library if you forgot or couldn’t move it using the installers and link it back here so people have it.
I’ll be using Windows 10 but if anyone needs a Mac version let me know as I also have a MacBook Pro I can use to show how you move the files on there.
  • Cubase 9.5.2 Pro
    Absolute 3 VST Collection
    Panorama P4
    ATH-M50x
    Live 9.7.6
    Push 2
    Windows 10
    i7 6700HQ
    32GB DDR4 Ram
    256GB SSD
    500GB SSD SAMPLE DRIVE
    GTX 970m 3GB

robw

Post by robw » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:24 pm

If you are using Halion 6 why not use the Halion Library Manager?

That is what I did and it moved it. Even found some duplicates and deleted them. All neat and tidy now (much to my surprise!).
Cubase 10 | Steinberg UR44 | Korg Kronos X
Intel i9 9900K | ASUS Z370 | 64 Gigs RAM | NVIDIA RTX2080
NI Komplete Ultimate Collectors Edition 12 | Steinberg Pad Shop Pro, Halion 6 | Composer Cloud X

hesca116

Post by hesca116 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:12 am

BatteryPack wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:13 am
I’m going to create a video and post it to YouTube that shows the basics of moving your library if you forgot or couldn’t move it using the installers and link it back here so people have it.
I’ll be using Windows 10 but if anyone needs a Mac version let me know as I also have a MacBook Pro I can use to show how you move the files on there.
Wow thanks! yes please post it back to here once its done!!!

Thanks so much!

hesca116

Post by hesca116 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:12 am

robw wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:24 pm
If you are using Halion 6 why not use the Halion Library Manager?

That is what I did and it moved it. Even found some duplicates and deleted them. All neat and tidy now (much to my surprise!).
I will try this also. Thanks!

Robad555

Post by Robad555 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:27 pm

I relocated my 'C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content' folder to another drive some time ago, and replaced it with a hard symbolic link.
But when I run Halion Library Manager it lists the files as duplicates in both the old and new locations. Is there anyway to correct this?
I stupidly clicked "remove duplicates" once and it deleted the lot, of course! Fortunately I had a backup...

SteelyDani

Post by SteelyDani » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:34 am

Better create a junction point. It perfectly works for me.

There is a very useful and simple free application called Junction Link Magic to easily do it.
http://www.bcstudiorecording.com
BCS. Basque Coast Studio
Music is a gift from God to Man

Windows 10 (64)/ Cubase Pro 9.5/ WaveLab 9.5 Elements/ Halion 6 / Intel(R) I7-6700K @ 4.00 GHz - 32GB Dual Channel DDR4/ MOTU PCI-424 + 4 X 2408 mk3

Robad555

Post by Robad555 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:37 pm

But a "junction point" is a symbolic link.

My problem stems from Halion Library Manager searching all my drives. So it finds the link AND where it points to and assumes they are two separate instances. So it flags them as duplicates. Is there any way to restrict where it looks? I have all content on me E: drive. I don't want Halion looking at content on my C: drive because it's not really there!

Any ideas?

vintagevibe

Post by vintagevibe » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:26 pm

Remove the files from the original location.
That’s what I did and it’s working. My process was a nightmare of trial and error though :o. It would have been way easier if I had the info in this post then.
Windows 8.1/64, Intel i7 2600K, 16G RAM, 6TB 7200RPM storage, and bunch of software.

Robad555

Post by Robad555 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:53 pm

The files are not in the original location (C-drive). I moved them to the E-drive and replaced them with a symbolic link (or hard junction) on C: pointing to E:. But it appears the HLM can't tell whether it's looking at a file directly or via a link...

SteelyDani

Post by SteelyDani » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:28 pm

Junction points are transparent to programs. If you check the Properties of the original folder (in your case 'C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content') it will appear that its files or folders remain in the original location, but they aren’t, as in fact they are in the Destination target folder (in your case in another drive). The contents of a junction use almost no disk space as they simply point to the target (your second drive) but as I said before in a complete transparent way.
http://www.bcstudiorecording.com
BCS. Basque Coast Studio
Music is a gift from God to Man

Windows 10 (64)/ Cubase Pro 9.5/ WaveLab 9.5 Elements/ Halion 6 / Intel(R) I7-6700K @ 4.00 GHz - 32GB Dual Channel DDR4/ MOTU PCI-424 + 4 X 2408 mk3

Robad555

Post by Robad555 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:40 pm

I understand junction points. My problem, as originally stated, remains:
"When I run Halion Library Manager it lists the files in both the old ('C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content') and new (in another drive) locations as duplicates. Is there anyway to correct this?"

AudioSuperSite

Post by AudioSuperSite » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:16 pm

hesca116 wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:55 am
Hello folks,

I just got the Absolute 3 library and installed it. The VST sound folder is huge now and my HDD is dangerously full now.

Can I move VST Sound to an external drive? and if so... how do I do it without breaking Cubase?

Thanks!
Try this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB_coW-1hoA

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:03 pm

Robad555 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:40 pm
I understand junction points. My problem, as originally stated, remains:
"When I run Halion Library Manager it lists the files in both the old ('C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content') and new (in another drive) locations as duplicates. Is there anyway to correct this?"
Yes the newly renamed Steinberg Library Manager now offers to remove the duplicates when it detects them.
rodger

Cubase Pro 10.0.30, Win10 Home, Halion6, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:02 am

rodger

Cubase Pro 10.0.30, Win10 Home, Halion6, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

jeffspc88mx

Post by jeffspc88mx » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:36 pm

What worked for me (on a Mac i5 with Mojave):
Briefly - I let Cubase put stuff where it wants and then move just the 'Content' folder* to my external HD to which I have a symbolic link in the place Cubase expects to find the Content.

*Best practice is to move the individual files within the folders and not the folders themselves. This prevents erasure of previously moved content.

In detail:
{From scratch}
1. Let Cubase install wherever the hell it wants to. You need lots of space on your system drive to hold all the content, but we'll free it up later.
1.1 Make sure Cubase is working at this point, keep going. If not, you may have another problem.
2. Move the "Content" folder (System/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Content) to your favorite HD/SDD.
3. Delete the System/.../Content folder after you've safely copied it to your external drive
4. Replace that deleted Content folder with a symbolic link how? called "Content" that points to the fresh copy of "Content" on your external drive. Simple aliases don't seem to work. Symbolic link creation requires use of Terminal and Admin privileges - look here
5. Boot up Cubase and see if it works.

{Upgrading existing install}
Assuming you've got a previous install with a symbolic link to an external drive as above:
1. Move the symbolic link "Content" out of the System folder and onto your desktop (or somewhere else where you can find it later).
2. Install the upgrade/full install and let Cubase install wherever it wants to (requires enough System drive space)
3. Cubase will re-create the content folder and fill it with content, but this is in the wrong spot (System drive) so we'll move it.
4. Copy all of the newly installed System/.../Content/.../Files individually to their respective Content folders that are already on your external drive. Replace and apply to all.
4. (why individually?) DO NOT simply copy folders to the external HD or it will 'erase' any content that wasn't explicitly installed in the update. DO copy individual files en masse. Use Command-A to select all files in a folder and do this for each newly created folder you have in your System drive. This way existing content on the external drive is not erased.
5. Delete the System/.../Content folder that Cubase put in during the install
6. Drag the symbolic link Content folder from the desktop (or wherever you put it) back to the System/.../Steinberg/ location (where it was in step 1)
7. Fire up Cubase and test.

You would think that once the symbolic link is established that the installer ought to put new content files into the symbolic link which then pushes them onto the external drive, but this didn't work for me (a few made it, but many became aliases-to-aliases - weird), hence the little dance of the folders that has to be done post-install.

stoeckli

Post by stoeckli » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:00 pm

So good. It worked for me. Thanks man

Return to “General”