Windows 7 i5

Find topics on computers, studios and music-related hardware.
Post Reply
guitarnasty
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:49 am
Contact:

Windows 7 i5

Post by guitarnasty » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:55 am

Hi guys .. I’m thinkibg about reviving an older computer with a i5 4460 Haswell 3.2 hz processor running Windows 7 pro. Currently 8g ram but could go 16..

Will this machine cut it for Cubase 9 pro or am I wasting my time .

Thanks

User avatar
planarchist
Senior Member
Posts: 1613
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:50 am
Location: UK.
Contact:

Re: Windows 7 i5

Post by planarchist » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:43 pm

It will run Cubase 9, yes, but how it will perform depends rather on what sort of recordings you're going to be making. Lots of Audio tracks, lots of VSTis? Both?
Nic

Cubase Pro 10.0.20, Abs.Collec.3, i7 4770K 3.5GHz, 32 Gig RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, RME Digiface, Behringer ADA8200, S'berg Midex 8.
Cubase Pro 10.0.20, Abs.Collec.3, i7 920 2.67Ghz , 24Gig RAM, Windows 7 Ult 64 bit SP1, Yamaha THR5.

Cubase Elements 9.40 on Windows 10 Laptop, i7-2760QM 8Gig RAM, Sonic Port VX.
Cubasis 2.5 iPad Mini 4 64GB

svennilenni
Grand Senior Member
Posts: 3700
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Windows 7 i5

Post by svennilenni » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:10 pm

guitarnasty wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:55 am
Hi guys .. I’m thinkibg about reviving an older computer with a i5 4460 Haswell 3.2 hz processor running Windows 7 pro. Currently 8g ram but could go 16..

Will this machine cut it for Cubase 9 pro or am I wasting my time .

Thanks
The system reqirements can easily to be found on the net.

vinark
Member
Posts: 572
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: Windows 7 i5

Post by vinark » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:37 pm

guitarnasty wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:55 am
Hi guys .. I’m thinkibg about reviving an older computer with a i5 4460 Haswell 3.2 hz processor running Windows 7 pro. Currently 8g ram but could go 16..

Will this machine cut it for Cubase 9 pro or am I wasting my time .

Thanks
I run cubase on a P5Q Q9550 @ 3.6 GHZ OC (8 years older). But improvements have gone in little steps since then (except for more cores then 4) So yours will be fine too and 8gb is plenty, unless you are a heavy Kontakt user with big templates.
If you over clock it a little to 3.6 a 4ghz it will be even faster. But depending on your work you might not need that. Good audio card with good drivers will make a difference too (I use RME)

Oh sorry you can't really OC this CPU. Mayby to 3.5 but that is not worth it. You can run it permanently at turbo at 3.4.

guitarnasty
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:49 am
Contact:

Re: Windows 7 i5

Post by guitarnasty » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:36 pm

Thanks for the insight .. I know there is a tecommded minimum system information etc .. however I was also keen to hear from user feedback before I buy.

Will be doing mainly live instrument recording . ( band stuff) Was thinking I’d spend some time to learn the software then upgrade computer in a 2 years time. If I can get my hands on windows 8.1 maybe I’ll run that . I heard not to put W10 on it

vinark
Member
Posts: 572
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: Windows 7 i5

Post by vinark » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:19 pm

No stick to 7! And if it works, stick to it.

User avatar
planarchist
Senior Member
Posts: 1613
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:50 am
Location: UK.
Contact:

Re: Windows 7 i5

Post by planarchist » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:47 am

The advice not to use Windows 10 is dubious to say the least, particularly if you're buying a new PC.
Those who advise against it in general upgraded to it on an existing older PC. Your current PC with Windows 7 Pro, however, I agree there's no reason to upgrade on that PC.

I use Cubase on three PCs, two Windows 10 and one Windows 7 with no differences in stability with Cubase...all excellent. I do not remember the last time I had a crash (Cubase 8 I think).

Additionally, if you do go for a Windows 7 PC you will be locking yourself in to an OS which will become unsupported earlier. I don't know when Steinberg will drop Windows 7 as a supported OS but bear in mind that Halion 6 when first released last year did not support Windows 7 so they're already thinking of dropping Windows 7 at some level.
Nic

Cubase Pro 10.0.20, Abs.Collec.3, i7 4770K 3.5GHz, 32 Gig RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, RME Digiface, Behringer ADA8200, S'berg Midex 8.
Cubase Pro 10.0.20, Abs.Collec.3, i7 920 2.67Ghz , 24Gig RAM, Windows 7 Ult 64 bit SP1, Yamaha THR5.

Cubase Elements 9.40 on Windows 10 Laptop, i7-2760QM 8Gig RAM, Sonic Port VX.
Cubasis 2.5 iPad Mini 4 64GB

vinark
Member
Posts: 572
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: Windows 7 i5

Post by vinark » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:19 am

planarchist wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:47 am
The advice not to use Windows 10 is dubious to say the least, particularly if you're buying a new PC.
Those who advise against it in general upgraded to it on an existing older PC. Your current PC with Windows 7 Pro, however, I agree there's no reason to upgrade on that PC.
He is using an older PC with win7 already on it. I just advised not to upgrade to 8. Agreed on a new PC I would always start with 10 and if there are specific issues maybe downgrade to 7.

User avatar
planarchist
Senior Member
Posts: 1613
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:50 am
Location: UK.
Contact:

Re: Windows 7 i5

Post by planarchist » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:29 am

vinark wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:19 am
planarchist wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:47 am
The advice not to use Windows 10 is dubious to say the least, particularly if you're buying a new PC.
Those who advise against it in general upgraded to it on an existing older PC. Your current PC with Windows 7 Pro, however, I agree there's no reason to upgrade on that PC.
He is using an older PC with win7 already on it. I just advised not to upgrade to 8. Agreed on a new PC I would always start with 10 and if there are specific issues maybe downgrade to 7.
Quite agree not to touch 8 or otherwise upgrade the existing Win 7 Pro.
I was going to say I'll edit my post to make this clearer but that may only confuse things further so I'll just say here:

1. Leave existing PC at Windows 7, don't upgrade.
2. If getting a new PC go for Windows 10. :)
Nic

Cubase Pro 10.0.20, Abs.Collec.3, i7 4770K 3.5GHz, 32 Gig RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, RME Digiface, Behringer ADA8200, S'berg Midex 8.
Cubase Pro 10.0.20, Abs.Collec.3, i7 920 2.67Ghz , 24Gig RAM, Windows 7 Ult 64 bit SP1, Yamaha THR5.

Cubase Elements 9.40 on Windows 10 Laptop, i7-2760QM 8Gig RAM, Sonic Port VX.
Cubasis 2.5 iPad Mini 4 64GB

titchyblackcat
Member
Posts: 218
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Windows 7 i5

Post by titchyblackcat » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:42 am

Mine has that spec' and works a treat.
Cubase Pro 10 Wavelab 8 LE
Win 10 64 bit. Asus Q170M-C Motherboard with i5 6 Gen' 3.2Ghz. Ram ddr4 32 GB
M-Audio 2496 Soundcard

Post Reply

Return to “Computer/Studio Hardware & Setup”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests