Half note rendering error?

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
JesterMusician

Half note rendering error?

Post by JesterMusician » Sun May 13, 2018 2:46 pm

I notice the stroke on a half note is not completely filled in when "Larger noteheads" is enabled in the Engraving Options. Is it a bug, or just a font error in my setup? I'm running Dorico 1.2.10.139 on Windows 10.
half_note_rendering.PNG
(29.82 KiB) Not downloaded yet

notesetter

Re: Half note rendering error?

Post by notesetter » Mon May 14, 2018 11:53 am

Not only is there that little tear, but the entire notehead is misshapen. Do quarter and whole noteheads look OK?

Do multiple files exhibit this, or is only one file affected? If you start a new file, do you get the same results? Could you attach a short Dorico file showing the problem?
Bruce

Dorico PRO2
Finale 2012c, 25.3
QuicKeys 4
Mac mini, OSX 10.12.6

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Thu May 17, 2018 12:14 am

There’s no problem with the oversized half notehead in Bravura – that’s a very peculiar problem. I guess it must be a rendering issue of some kind. If you make the staff size very large and print it out, do you see the artefact on the print-out?
Attachments
halfnote.png
(64.25 KiB) Not downloaded yet

JesterMusician

Post by JesterMusician » Thu May 31, 2018 2:01 am

Sadly yes. It appears both the normal and oversized glyphs are superimposed in the same place.

However, a new file in Dorico Pro 2 does not exhibit this behaviour - perhaps I can fix my original file (which originated from a MusicXML import).

This is the note input of a new file:
Attachments
no-double-notehead.PNG
(17.5 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by JesterMusician on Thu May 31, 2018 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

JesterMusician

Post by JesterMusician » Thu May 31, 2018 2:04 am

This is the note input of the problematic file:
Attachments
double-notehead.PNG
(19.4 KiB) Not downloaded yet

NutBag

Post by NutBag » Thu May 31, 2018 6:31 am

Half note and Whole not behavior is weird! I tried to enter a whole note, it up 8ths, rests and half. I was in the correct place with carrot.
I hade to delete entire measures then it works. If it happens and weird stuff shows up then just delete that measure it seems to fix it.

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Thu May 31, 2018 9:11 am

JesterMusician, perhaps you could send me your project and let me know where in the file the problematic behaviour occurs? You can email me at d dot spreadbury at steinberg dot de. Please include a link to this thread and some details of the problem – I get a lot of email and won't know what to do with your score if it arrives without any description of what I'm supposed to do with it.

Robby Poole

Post by Robby Poole » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:12 pm

I found something relating to this this morning.

I created a file from scratch in Dorico Pro 2. I have a few half notes towards the end of the first flow. The note heads this morning looked a little odd. As I zoomed in, it appears the note head is a little less symmetrical than normal.
Screen Shot 2018-06-02 at 8.02.55 AM.png
(13.55 KiB) Not downloaded yet
The bottom right side appears to be a little thicker to me than normal, on the one above. Here is another file opened up today to confirm there is a symmetrical issue.
Screen Shot 2018-06-02 at 8.03.14 AM.png
(15.76 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Ahhhh, so maybe if I flip the stem, it will look more symmetrical? Nope, and that weird drawing that occurs with the white line from the OP's post appears.
Screen Shot 2018-06-02 at 8.02.32 AM.png
(15.06 KiB) Not downloaded yet
If you look at the bottom left side, you will see the white space.

The only thing I have done, was switch to the Petaluma font, and then back to Bravura. When I ran Font Book yesterday it told me there was a duplication of Bravura and I had Font Book resolve automatically. But it still seems odd, as the file I opened to confirm the error would have used the same font. I am not sure what is going on, but this does look odd to me, and is noticeable on the printed page that the bottom right hand side of the half note head is thicker than the top left side.

Robby
Dorico Pro 3
Finale (since v2.2), Sibelius (v1.2 through 7.3),
Mac Pro 2.7 GHz 12-core Intel Xeon E5, 64 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD

Robby Poole

Post by Robby Poole » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:20 pm

Daniel, I sent the file for you to look at, and referenced this thread.

Robby
Dorico Pro 3
Finale (since v2.2), Sibelius (v1.2 through 7.3),
Mac Pro 2.7 GHz 12-core Intel Xeon E5, 64 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD

LeifG

Post by LeifG » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:29 pm

I experienced same thing just now. Like Robby, I switched to Petaluma and back. Before then, I hadn’t noticed anything odd.

LeifG

Post by LeifG » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:50 pm

FWIW, I can import my affected flows to a new project and get rid of the rendering error. I won’t change to Petaluma again, unless I really mean it!

fkretlow

Post by fkretlow » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:22 pm

Just for the record: I saw the same half note rendering issue yesterday after I had switched to one of my own music fonts and back to Bravura. I didn't save and after reopening the project all is fine.
Florian

Return to “Dorico”