VST5 songs and Lion

For users of legacy Steinberg Cubase software
gugu

VST5 songs and Lion

Post by gugu » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:31 am

At the moment I need to reopen "old" 2001 projects.

Now that the SX3 workaround won't work in Lion because there's no rosetta emulation anymore, how can we open our VST songs or arrangements?

Are people at Steinberg will give us a solution for that?

gugu

curteye
External Moderator

Re: VST5 songs and Lion

Post by curteye » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:06 am

gugu wrote:Are people at Steinberg will give us a solution for that?
Aloha g, while there may be a solution for your prob,
IMHO no.

Seems backward compatibility can only extend
for so long and looks like Steiny is slowly cutting the
cord on some of its older technologies.

Sometimes for legal reasons.

This link might help:
https://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtop ... 19&t=14120
{'-'}
If yer gear ain't breakin down, you aint workin' much.

iMac 5K 4.2Gz 16GB
MBP 3.0Gz......16GB

On the side of a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

gugu

Post by gugu » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:12 pm

curteye wrote:Seems backward compatibility can only extend
for so long and looks like Steiny is slowly cutting the
cord on some of its older technologies.
Sorry, but I find this really frustrating to have all my projects previous to (and including) 2003 unreadable.......

I don't ask to open Pro24 projects from the eighties (but, thinking of it, why not?.......), just some work I've been doing only 8 years ago.

With my Pro Tools 10 HD, I still can open (and even save) projects from the last century :mrgreen: .... and I don't really need it as when a movie edit and mix is done, it's generally over, but for music it's quite different IHMO.

I think having giving enough money to Steinberg since Pro24 V1.0 and buyed every update from that time to feel angry about that......

gugu

Jarno

Post by Jarno » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:59 pm

Solution: Go to Apple support forum and ask them to have Rosetta on their latest Pussycat :P
Cubase 8 Pro/7/4/SX1/VST3.7 | Waves Gold | Melodyne | PC i7-4770/8G/2xSSD/Win7 64 | MacMini | Frontier Tranzport
Tascam DM-4800 | Soundcraft Spirit Studio 16 | dbx231 | Genelec 1032A | KEF C15 | Auratone 5S | Samson S-phone
Yamaha REV500/SPX990 | Alesis Midiverb4 | Roland SDE-330 | Pearl Echo Orbit | Aphex 109 x2 | TL-Audio C5021
Alesis 3630 | AudioLogic MT66 | Joemeek VC1Q | dbx386 | Focusrite VoiceMaster | Line6 PodXt/BassPodXt | Boss GT-3
Roland TD8/TD5/JV2080/SC55 | UseAudio Plugiator | E-mu ProteusXR | Akai S-900/AX73 | M-Audio Keystation
Martin/Taylor/Ortega/ESP/Fender/Line6 guitars/basses | Pearl/Olympic by Premier drumkits | Custom Roland V-drum kit
AKG D112/CK77 | Calrec CM1050C | Earthworks QTC30 | EV RE20/Spherex920 | Neumann M147 | Pearl CR57
Peavey PVM45 | RØDE NT2/NT55 | Sennheiser MD441/MD421/e606 | Shure SM7/SM57/SM58/BETA57/BETA58 ...
... Saeco Odea Giro Espresso machine | BMW Z3 roadster | American Pit Bull Terrier

Arjan P

Post by Arjan P » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:03 pm

gugu wrote:I think having giving enough money to Steinberg since Pro24 V1.0 and buyed every update from that time to feel angry about that
I've come across this type of comment before in these forums, and I really don't see what people are thinking. "Giving money to Steinberg?" No, you bought a commodity at a certain point in time for the announced price, and SB delivered the product you wanted for that money. It's a business transaction, not charity - you got what you payed for.

On topic: I happen to have access to a couple of old PCs to put SX3 on, and that way I can convert old or not-so-old projects to .cpr. But I think it would be a very nice gesture of Steinberg to make a simple conversion program available for this function, or have and add-on to the present Cubase, to import these projects.

Luck, Arjan

PS, Hey Jarno, good to see you around these quarters!
--- "If anyone owes it all to Bach, it's God" - Emil Cioran ---
SOFT: (All 64 bit) | WaveLab 10.0.30 | Cubase 10.0.60 | HALion 6.0 | Win10 Pro - SoundCloud
HARD: i7-950 | Asus P6TD | 30GB | Tascam DM-3200 | DigiMax48 | Midisport 8x8 - SoundByte Studio

FelixD

Post by FelixD » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:23 pm

I really dislike this backwards incompatibility issue with Cubase.

I have lots of old .all files from CubaseVST and even older from CubaseAI and it's always a hassle to get them working in newer versions of Cubase. Even when opening them in SX3 some data get lost or Mixer setting are wrong (EQ get muted etc.)

Steinberg really should consider to improve this problem.
What about a small converter tool where you simply drop in an older Cubase project file and be able to convert it to the newest Cubase version?
Or even better Cubase6 should be able to open every project file from all old Cubase versions including CubaseVST CubaseSX CubaseAI and Atari files ;)

Come on Steinberg this is so important for a professional software product and Life could be so smart...
New minimal Techno EP | Felix Dames - Primary Amplitude
now available on iTunes, Spotify, Amazon, Deezer, Tidal...

http://www.music.felixdames.de

curteye
External Moderator

Post by curteye » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:56 pm

gugu wrote:I think having giving enough money to Steinberg since Pro24 V1.0 and buyed every update from that time to feel angry about that......gugu

Word!
{'-'}

iMac 5K 4.2Gz 16GB
MBP 3.0Gz......16GB

lanter

Post by lanter » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:02 pm

At the risk of getting flamed here...
I would say that if you really valued your archive of past creations you would have converted them to cpr long time ago :mrgreen:
Jan

Cubase 10 Pro, WaveLab 10 Pro
PC Win 10 Pro; AsRock Z270 Pro4; Intel Core i7-7700 3.6GHz; 16GByte; PNY Quadro NVS 290
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20; RME ADI-4 DD; MOTU MIDI Express 128; 12 UAD-2 cores

curteye
External Moderator

Post by curteye » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:27 pm

FelixD wrote:What about a small converter tool where you simply drop in an older Cubase project file and be able to convert it to the newest Cubase version?
Or even better Cubase6 should be able to open every project file from all old Cubase versions including CubaseVST CubaseSX CubaseAI and Atari files
Would be nice but to me that really sounds more like 'magic'.

Just imagine the code writing it would take to accomplish that task.

Talk about the 'angels being in the details'.....
{'-'}

iMac 5K 4.2Gz 16GB
MBP 3.0Gz......16GB

gugu

Post by gugu » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:45 am

Arjan P wrote:
gugu wrote:I think having giving enough money to Steinberg since Pro24 V1.0 and buyed every update from that time to feel angry about that
I've come across this type of comment before in these forums, and I really don't see what people are thinking.
Just a way of speaking ..... I also say that I "give" money to my butcher ......... 8-)
lanter wrote:I would say that if you really valued your archive of past creations you would have converted them to cpr long time ago :mrgreen:
:roll: :roll: It's just I'm working on a TV documentary series that last for 10 years (about one episode by year), and the director asked me for a theme used in the second episode ......

BTW, I've so many .ALL and .ARR files that converting them all would take a very long time ...... especially when you see how SX3 import .ALL files .....

gugu

Return to “Older Cubase versions”