Recording Arpache 5 output to MIDI track

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 here.
msintros

Recording Arpache 5 output to MIDI track

Post by msintros » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:13 pm

Yes I know that the first thing people will say is search for this since it's been answered already. The thing is, it hasn't been. At least the solutions I've looked at so far have not worked.

The solution seems to be to use MIDI merge in loop. This doesn't work for me. It does produce a MIDI event on that track, but it isn't at all accurate, meaning it isn't even close to the same notes that would be playing if I just let the track run with Arpache on. And yes, I have the track solo. It starts off alright but quickly starts producing erroneous notes. It really isn't useable.

I was able to accomplish this by creating another track and setting the MIDI input as the output from the other track, but this only seems to work with certain random VST's.. it doesn't work for everything, as it appears not everything outputs MIDI. So again, this doesn't always work.

The other thing is this button in the MIDI inserts inspector to "record output to track" which I can't for the life of me figure out how to get to work. I've seen the Steinberg page saying how this should work but for me it just doesn't. All it ends up doing is playing the original MIDI as though the insert has been bypassed and records absolutely nothing.

So my question stands... how do you reliably do this? Because it's actually seeming pretty ridiculous to me that this is so hard.

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Re: Recording Arpache 5 output to MIDI track

Post by Martin.Jirsak » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:15 am

Hi,

"record output to track" is the trick.
Martin Jirsak
How to show notes of the chord/scale only
Cubase Training

Cubase Pro (last officially supported version all the time)
macOS (last update)

msintros

Post by msintros » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:20 pm

Martin.Jirsak wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:15 am
Hi,

"record output to track" is the trick.
Hi,

I literally just said that that didn't work for me and described why. Do you have any more thoughts on that?

planarchist

Post by planarchist » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:39 pm

At what point are you applying the Arpache, before or after recording the part?
Nic

Cubase Pro 10.0.20, Abs.Collec.3, i7 4770K 3.5GHz, 32 Gig RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, RME Digiface, Behringer ADA8200, S'berg Midex 8.
Cubase Pro 10.0.20, Abs.Collec.3, i7 920 2.67Ghz , 24Gig RAM, Windows 7 Ult 64 bit SP1, Yamaha THR5.

Cubase Elements 9.40 on Windows 10 Laptop, i7-2760QM 8Gig RAM, Sonic Port VX.
Cubasis 2.5 iPad Mini 4 64GB

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Post by Martin.Jirsak » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:24 pm

Please be more specific what you are doing. Then we can find, why it doesn't work to you.
Martin Jirsak
Cubase Training

macOS (last update)

msintros

Post by msintros » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:06 pm

planarchist wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:39 pm
At what point are you applying the Arpache, before or after recording the part?
Does it actually matter, as far as Cubase is concerned? If so, that's pretty weird (i.e. incredibly undesirable). I've got a MIDI track with Arpache 5 on it as a MIDI insert. There are notes I've drawn in on that track, which are obviously being arpeggiated by Arpache.

msintros

Post by msintros » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:08 pm

Martin.Jirsak wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:24 pm
Please be more specific what you are doing. Then we can find, why it doesn't work to you.
Honestly, I don't know how much more specific I can be than I already have been. I've got a MIDI track. With Arpache on it as a MIDI insert. That's what I'm doing. I want to render or otherwise record the notes coming out of Arpache.

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:17 pm

"Record output to track" works as intended. Arm a MIDI track, record, play, and the notes produced by Arpache 5 are recorded onto the MIDI track. I can then bypass or remove the Arpache 5 insert and when I play the track, I hear exactly what I heard when I recorded it in realtime.

But if you won't tell us what you're doing to cause it to not work for you, we won't be able to help you fix it.
Windows 10 • Cubase 9.5.50 • WaveLab 9.5.50 • SpectraLayers 6.0.10 • HALion 6.3.0 • Groove Agent 5.0.10 • Midex

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Post by Martin.Jirsak » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:38 pm

msintros wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:08 pm
Martin.Jirsak wrote:
Honestly, I don't know how much more specific I can be than I already have been. I've got a MIDI track. With Arpache on it as a MIDI insert. That's what I'm doing. I want to render or otherwise record the notes coming out of Arpache.
Is it the only one Insert effect? Or is there any other Insert effect before in the chain? If there is any Insert effect before, isn't it bypassed? Is it also in to Record mode? Is your Arpache 5 Insert plug-in enabled?
Martin Jirsak
Cubase Training

macOS (last update)

msintros

Post by msintros » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:47 pm

MrSoundman wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:17 pm
"Record output to track" works as intended. Arm a MIDI track, record, play, and the notes produced by Arpache 5 are recorded onto the MIDI track. I can then bypass or remove the Arpache 5 insert and when I play the track, I hear exactly what I heard when I recorded it in realtime.

But if you won't tell us what you're doing to cause it to not work for you, we won't be able to help you fix it.
Faulty logic here. How do I know what I'm causing it to do to *not* work if it has never worked for me. This very statement presumes that I already know what variable causes it to work or not work, in which case why would I be asking the question?

I have tried any number of different things. It only works when I'm actually playing MIDI into it. Routing MIDI into it does nothing, under any circumstances.

msintros

Post by msintros » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:49 pm

Martin.Jirsak wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:38 pm
msintros wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:08 pm
Martin.Jirsak wrote:
Is it the only one Insert effect? Or is there any other Insert effect before in the chain? If there is any Insert effect before, isn't it bypassed? Is it also in to Record mode? Is your Arpache 5 Insert plug-in enabled?
Yes, only one insert. It's not bypassed. It is in record mode. Yes, it is enabled.

The only time it will record the output to track is if I'm actually playing (live) MIDI into the track via a keyboard or something. If there is existing MIDI it does nothing.

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Post by Martin.Jirsak » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:00 pm

msintros wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:49 pm
The only time it will record the output to track is if I'm actually playing (live) MIDI into the track via a keyboard or something. If there is existing MIDI it does nothing.
Hi,

This is correct. The feature is specified like this. If you play live and enable this button, the data with the Insert effect applied is recorded. But you can't record it from the track with the applied Insert effect to the track back. You could export it as a MIDI data, and import it back. That would work of course.
Martin Jirsak
Cubase Training

macOS (last update)

msintros

Post by msintros » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:56 am

The problem, and the whole reason I got into this mess, is that neither Export nor the Merge function produce output that is like what I actually hear with Arpache running. I really don't know why this is, but it's annoying. Sometimes it vaguely resembles what it should, but then I'll have stray notes going all over the place. For instance, just having a bass line, where I hold single notes and have Arpache playing a sequence of 1/16 notes at those pitches should be fairly simple, but in the Exported or Merged versions, I will end up with octave transpositions at odd rhythms, the changes not starting where they should, etc. I really have no way of accounting for why it would do this but it's consistently wrong.

Return to “General”