Add audio track problem also question about mono tracks

For users of legacy Steinberg Cubase software
Nickpowell

Add audio track problem also question about mono tracks

Post by Nickpowell » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:12 am

Hiya,

I've just added cubase 6 to an old(ish) macbook pro. It's running fine, but when I try to add an audio track it's not giving me any configuration or speaker options and any new track appearing is mono. Any ideas how I get the options back?

Also, while I'm here. I'm confused. I'm sure in older versions of cubase you could put a stereo insert on a mono track.... thereby adding a stereo reverb to an instrument recorded in mono. Am I right in thinking if you do this now, the effect reacts in mono?
Has this changed? Why would this have changed? And does it mean that , if you want to add stereo effects on an insert to mono instruments you have to laboriously move the mono clips onto newly created stereo tracks after recording them?
This seems very weird.

Thanks people.

N

GargoyleStudio

Re: Add audio track problem also question about mono tracks

Post by GargoyleStudio » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:47 pm

When I add a track it pops a dialog box up asking me for some details, one of which is mono/stereo. Don't you get this then? Maybe there's a preference somewhere?

The mono->stereo channel 'feature' isn't there any more. It's entirely mono if it's mono now. Personally I used this a lot, and I miss it, wish Steinberg would put it back in!! So simlpe to add stereo chorus to a guitar track for instance.

Anyway, your best bet is probably to route to a stereo group and apply the FX there instead. PITA when it was so easy before :(

Something that would alleviate the pain would be to implement a ProTools-like 'NewGroup' item in the channel Output drop-down. So you could instantly create a new group with routings from one or more audio channel's output selector already set up.

Mike.
[Win10x64 latest, Cb10.5 latest, MOTU PCIe, UAD2, Waves, Soundtoys, O9N, Arturia, Omnisphere]

Chris Beuermann

Post by Chris Beuermann » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:04 pm

Hello Nick,

What do you see when you click add new audio track ? Does the MediaBay open ?

Multiple Dynamic I/Os
VST3 plug-ins are no longer limited to a fixed number of inputs and outputs. Their I/O configuration can dynamically adapt to the channel configuration they're inserted in. For example, the new VST3 plug-ins in Cubase 4 can work in stereo-mode when inserted into a stereo channel, but switch to 6 channels when inserted into a 5.1 channel. In any case, each audio channel is processed independently. Interaction between channels depends on the type and design of the plug-in. While it is still eligible to have dedicated surround plug-ins, basically any VST3 plug-in can be surround-capable with true multi-channel processing. In addition to their flexible audio bussing capabilities, VST3 plug-ins may also offer a dedicated event bus. Typically, this is a MIDI input for control/modulation but these busses are no longer restricted to MIDI standard only. Future plug-ins may replace the common MIDI interface with alternative control methods.

Cheers,

Chris

GargoyleStudio

Post by GargoyleStudio » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:33 pm

Multiple Dynamic I/Os.....
...... I recognised all the words :ugeek: :)

But seriously, I really did use this feature all the time. Stereo chorus, stereo ping-pong delays, spot ambience effects... Particularly good for highly complex production work which involves a lot of different spot effects and automation. Seems to me we've lost something very simple. Now, if we had a mono/stereo/etc channel switch (like we used to many years ago) then that'd be good instead. Or a channel which reconfigures to match the chosen I/Os of the plugin?

Mike.
[Win10x64 latest, Cb10.5 latest, MOTU PCIe, UAD2, Waves, Soundtoys, O9N, Arturia, Omnisphere]

TwinOak

Post by TwinOak » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:22 pm

A comment on the mono/stereo:
I always only use stereo tracks now for the reason above and have not really missed anything at all since you can specify and record a mono file from a mono input on a stereo track. Only time I use mono tracks is for those plugins, often amp sims, which just processes one of the channels when inserted on a stereo track.

/A
ASUS Z8NA-D6, 2 x Xeon 5620, Kingston 16GB, RME Fireface 800, Win 7 x64, Cubase 6.0.5, Cubase 7.0.7, Cubase 8.0.30

Return to “Older Cubase versions”